Witness Describes Horse Riding Accident

Witness Describes Horse Riding Accident

There are 93 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Jan 11, 2010, titled Witness Describes Horse Riding Accident. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A man who narrowly avoided being hit by a truck while on horseback said his nephew and a 9-year-old boy were crossing the road when the truck collided with them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
horseowner

Winston Salem, NC

#1 Jan 11, 2010
I'm sorry, but you'd have to be FLYING to kill one horse, much less two. CHARGE THE MAN. Absolutely RIDICULOUS.
Ron

Greensboro, NC

#2 Jan 11, 2010
I was coming home early one evening just after dark and just about hit four riders on horses on the same road. Had I been going faster and a came upon then seconds sooner an oncoming car would have prevented me from narrowly missing them as I did. They were riding two abreast and taking over half my lane. I just about lost control.At least cyclist ride the edge and in single file.
was there

Greensboro, NC

#3 Jan 11, 2010
If they could have been seen as the video says then why have 3 other people said they almost hit the riders?
was there

Greensboro, NC

#4 Jan 11, 2010
horseowner wrote:
I'm sorry, but you'd have to be FLYING to kill one horse, much less two. CHARGE THE MAN. Absolutely RIDICULOUS.
The driver was going the speed limit or less (our friends were in the car behind him) how can you make a statement when you don't know all the facts. It is illegal to be riding horses, bikes, etc. at dark without reflective clothing...Several others had to avoid hitting this riders just before the accident. One person Blankenship tells his story on another news station..
JOHN CHANDLER

High Point, NC

#5 Jan 11, 2010
JUST MUNUTES BEFORE THE ACCIDENT I TOO HAD TO SLAM ON BRAKES. THE HORSES WERE ALL OVER THE ROAD. I LIVE ON CUNNINGHAM RD ALSO, AND THIS IS TOO BUST OF A ROAD TO BE RIDING DOWN THE ROAD ON HORSES.
JOHN CHANDLER

High Point, NC

#6 Jan 11, 2010
BUSY OF A ROAD
owns all sorts of animals

Mocksville, NC

#7 Jan 11, 2010
It's pretty dark out here where I live. And it is ridiculous to think someone would see horses in the road esp. with riders and not try to stop. I am sure the man did not mean to hit them.
We had a cow get out and was hit. Black cows and night time do not mix. Guess what you can be sued. Horse riders who were hit, I suggest you get a lawyer and fast.
Sharee

Kernersville, NC

#8 Jan 11, 2010
I think everyone should pray for those injured.
May Gods' grace be with them.
Owned horses at one time

Greensboro, NC

#9 Jan 11, 2010
I agree with the horseowner. He was either going a little fast, or on the cell phone or playing with the radio. At night time you should be looking out in front of you. Horses are over 1000 pounds each and you had people on top. Don't you watch out for deers at night time. And from what I am reading it is known horses are rode out there. I am sorry for the riders and the loss of their pet family.
iME

Thomasville, NC

#10 Jan 11, 2010
JOHN CHANDLER wrote:
JUST MUNUTES BEFORE THE ACCIDENT I TOO HAD TO SLAM ON BRAKES. THE HORSES WERE ALL OVER THE ROAD. I LIVE ON CUNNINGHAM RD ALSO, AND THIS IS TOO BUST OF A ROAD TO BE RIDING DOWN THE ROAD ON HORSES.
Yep I live on Ben Lee and the ride right in the middle of this road all the time..I saw them apparently minutes before the accident yesterday
JMC-Cunningham neighbor

Greensboro, NC

#11 Jan 11, 2010
JOHN CHANDLER wrote:
JUST MUNUTES BEFORE THE ACCIDENT I TOO HAD TO SLAM ON BRAKES. THE HORSES WERE ALL OVER THE ROAD. I LIVE ON CUNNINGHAM RD ALSO, AND THIS IS TOO BUSY OF A ROAD TO BE RIDING DOWN THE ROAD ON HORSES.
My husband witnessed these riders just minutes before the accident and John's right - they were all over the road, plus they were wearing non-reflective clothing. Besides, regardless of the mode of transportation, if you cross in front of someone and fail to yield right-of-way...something bad is bound to happen. ALL parties involved and their families need our thoughts and prayers
JOHN CHANDLER

High Point, NC

#12 Jan 11, 2010
Do you think that maybe the horses could have jumped in front of the truck . they were jumpy when I drove past them
resident of Cunningham Rd

High Point, NC

#13 Jan 11, 2010
My husband and I live off Cunningham Road. Even though we loved seeing the horses we knew it was only a matter of time before something horrible happened. The riders know how to handle their horses but Cunningham Road is narrow and has no shoulder. I wish the riders would have thought enough ahead to be off the road before dusk. Prayers to everyone including the driver.
concerned

Clemmons, NC

#14 Jan 11, 2010
to "owned horses at one time" since you were an owner at one time you think you can come to conculsions about something you know nothing about? Wrong. ALL circumstances are different. Where the horses were hit, just like people being in a car that wrecks, one might live, the other might not live. You cannot assume things you know nothing about. God Bless all those involved, including the driver. Unfortunatly the road is not safe for bicycles or horses, I understand they have rights, but facts are facts. Vehicles are for roads.
Owned horses at one time

Greensboro, NC

#15 Jan 11, 2010
Horses get scared of the cars and noises around that is why they were all over the road. I have been in that before but the driver of the car cause my horse to jump up and back in front of him but he stopped his car.
jackme

Lexington, NC

#16 Jan 11, 2010
dumb ass roads are for cars not horses
tiredofliberals

Yadkinville, NC

#17 Jan 11, 2010
horseowner wrote:
Not so. You could hit a horse when driving slowly, and it would still have to be killed. Were these horses killed instantly or did they have to be put down? At any rate, no one should have been riding them on the road in the dark or at dusk. It's a terrible thing that happened, but the driver is not at fault.
Kevin

Richmond, VA

#18 Jan 11, 2010
plenty of time to stop blah blah if they were CROSSING the road it's ther fault this guys just wanting to get the guy in the truck at fault so they can money grab. Why can't people just admit when they mess up? You crossed a road at DUSK with no reflective clothing duh! They should have started back home sooner end of story.
tiredofliberals

Yadkinville, NC

#19 Jan 11, 2010
Owned horses at one time wrote:
I agree with the horseowner. He was either going a little fast, or on the cell phone or playing with the radio. At night time you should be looking out in front of you. Horses are over 1000 pounds each and you had people on top. Don't you watch out for deers at night time. And from what I am reading it is known horses are rode out there. I am sorry for the riders and the loss of their pet family.
There is no comparison between deer on the hiways and horses on the hiways. Deer are wild animals. Horses are not, and they depend on the humans who own them to keep them safe. At night, you should not be riding horses on a public road. Horses are over 1000 pounds each, and they could kill the driver of a car or truck when they cause him to wreck his vehicle. From what I have read, it is known that people have ridden horses in the middle of this road and have almost caused more accidents than this latest one.

It is a horrible thing that happened, and I am very sorry about those who were riding and were hurt. I am also very sorry the horses were put into a position that endangered them and caused them to be killed. The truck driver did not put them into that position. I hope the riders heal soon. Unfortunately, it is too late for two of the horses. People need to stop trying to excuse their mistake and take responsibility for allowing that mistake to cause a terrible accident.
tiredofliberals

Yadkinville, NC

#20 Jan 11, 2010
owns all sorts of animals wrote:
It's pretty dark out here where I live. And it is ridiculous to think someone would see horses in the road esp. with riders and not try to stop. I am sure the man did not mean to hit them.
We had a cow get out and was hit. Black cows and night time do not mix. Guess what you can be sued. Horse riders who were hit, I suggest you get a lawyer and fast.
Then I suggest the driver of the vehicle also get a lawyer and sue the horse riders for endangering him. He had the right of way on a public road; horses and riders did not. It's time for people to stop attempting to get rich by suing someone and take responsibility for making a mistake, instead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davidson County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tobacco Education Funding (Apr '15) Apr '15 rschechner 1
News Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Oct '10) Mar '15 Tabby 21
Hostage Standoff 5-7-08 (May '08) Sep '14 NREverhart95 2
News Davidson County's megapark is 'off and running' (Aug '14) Aug '14 Ralph Chappell 1
News Two Years Later, Davidson County Murder Still U... (Jan '12) Feb '14 Ralph Chappell 3
News City, county approve incentives for Project BART (Jan '14) Jan '14 Al Gibson 1
News Stolen vehicle in hit and run (Jan '14) Jan '14 Darryl Isaacs 1
More from around the web