Dare Co. renters being priced out of ...

Dare Co. renters being priced out of market

There are 12 comments on the The Virginian-Pilot story from Apr 2, 2011, titled Dare Co. renters being priced out of market. In it, The Virginian-Pilot reports that:

Loading... 1 of 2 photos: Arliss Selby, Eileen Selby and their son, Samuel, have faced a tough choice: pay more for rent, or leave.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Virginian-Pilot.

kaugustson

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#1 Apr 3, 2011
Once when I was searching for a place to live in Manteo, I called about a one bedroom apt. thatvwas WAY OVER PRICED!$900.00 monthly!!!! I asked the owner WHY she charged SO MUCH RENT? Her answer floored me to me nearly fainting... She said in a matter-a-fact tone, "Because I can"! And so it was with all I called. But the real manipulative way of dealing with potential renters was to always start right out with always the same... They'd talk about the ammenities... I'd try AMD break in with, "BUT how much" which was ignored everytime! They were determined to pull the "car salesmen act" on me! DID THAT ANGER ME OR WHAT?!. I just don't understand how these landlords sleep! These places are not worth anything for what the rent is! I believe that God opened a door for me to have a place to live for a while now! I'm very Blessed! I only pray for MERCY for these "SHISTER" landlords who are ripping the people off!
It's horrible what has happened on these Outer Banks about all these unreasonably high rents and forget about buying a home of your own with the economy the way it is!
really

Four Oaks, NC

#2 Apr 5, 2011
It is the result of capitalism and a free market economy, if you don't like it, leave America. At the very least if you think rent is too high in dare county, then leave dare county. You could also try having a kid with no financial means and out of wedlock, then you would have a better chance of being entitled to something you don't deserve as you seem to think you are. Do you really think people are going to buy houses and then rent them for less than what they are paying as their mortgage payment just so you can live here in dare county when you clearly don't have the means to? Without these landlords you would have no where in dare county to live at all because all the government funded housing would be completely full and you probably can't get the bank to loan you any money. Get over it or get out.
kaugustson

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#3 Apr 6, 2011
really wrote:
It is the result of capitalism and a free market economy, if you don't like it, leave America. At the very least if you think rent is too high in dare county, then leave dare county. You could also try having a kid with no financial means and out of wedlock, then you would have a better chance of being entitled to something you don't deserve as you seem to think you are. Do you really think people are going to buy houses and then rent them for less than what they are paying as their mortgage payment just so you can live here in dare county when you clearly don't have the means to? Without these landlords you would have no where in dare county to live at all because all the government funded housing would be completely full and you probably can't get the bank to loan you any money. Get over it or get out.
Well now! I just love your attitude! I'll bet you anything under the shining sun that you moved here from somewhere up north and one who has their hands in everything! ARE you originally from here... Meaning, are you a local person OR a NATIVE? Big, rather HUGE difference in that it's a dead give away in your judgmental attitude! "Get out?" THAT is YOUR solution? You missed my point entirely! From all I've read from you, it wouldn't even do any good to engage in any further discussion with you on this or any other subject with you!
really

Four Oaks, NC

#4 Apr 6, 2011
No I'm not from up north I moved here from inland when my family and I could afford it without asking for government handouts. Perhaps you should try moving there where the cost of living isn't sky high. Not that it matters though, the majortiy of the people here that do own a sizeable amount of real estate are in fact local cause Mommy and Daddy passed it down to them. I got your point that your mad at landlords for trying to make money, perhaps if you adopted a little of this attitude you would be able to better afford it here. If you want to blame someone (not yourself of course) then blame real estate prices. It has nothing to do with landlords. Perhaps you could stop all the yankees from coming here for vacation and then liking it and wanting to buy a house here and therefore increasing demand and driving real estate prices up? Oh wait, then you wouldn't have a job because they are probably directly related to how you make your money. If you want to do something to help your situacion, why not lobby for drug testing for those on welfare, and lobby to get laws changed to where the government is not rewarding woman for keeping their legs open and popping out babies they can't afford to raise? I bet the pot of money for people who deserve it (not saying you fall into this category) would grow and you could get some help on your rent from uncle sam.
kaugustson

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#5 Apr 7, 2011
really wrote:
No I'm not from up north I moved here from inland when my family and I could afford it without asking for government handouts. Perhaps you should try moving there where the cost of living isn't sky high. Not that it matters though, the majortiy of the people here that do own a sizeable amount of real estate are in fact local cause Mommy and Daddy passed it down to them. I got your point that your mad at landlords for trying to make money, perhaps if you adopted a little of this attitude you would be able to better afford it here. If you want to blame someone (not yourself of course) then blame real estate prices. It has nothing to do with landlords. Perhaps you could stop all the yankees from coming here for vacation and then liking it and wanting to buy a house here and therefore increasing demand and driving real estate prices up? Oh wait, then you wouldn't have a job because they are probably directly related to how you make your money. If you want to do something to help your situacion, why not lobby for drug testing for those on welfare, and lobby to get laws changed to where the government is not rewarding woman for keeping their legs open and popping out babies they can't afford to raise? I bet the pot of money for people who deserve it (not saying you fall into this category) would grow and you could get some help on your rent from uncle sam.
OH MY GOSH!!!! You have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER AT HOW RIDICULOUS YOU SOUND! I'm actually embarrassed for you! I bet you even chew tobacco and spit in a bottle!
kaugustson

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#6 Apr 7, 2011
really wrote:
Excuse me, I forgot to mention... To show you how judgmental you seem to be... I am actually a retiree after nearly 18 years of public service with the County. I have 2 sons who were graduated from college ...oh one more thing...It was only boys and me in their formative years due to their father not accepting his responsibility as a father! So don't YOU TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING! Go back to your tobacco farm!
shutup

AOL

#7 Apr 7, 2011
kaugustson wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, I forgot to mention... To show you how judgmental you seem to be... I am actually a retiree after nearly 18 years of public service with the County. I have 2 sons who were graduated from college ...oh one more thing...It was only boys and me in their formative years due to their father not accepting his responsibility as a father! So don't YOU TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING! Go back to your tobacco farm!
Do you understand what kind of a fool you make your self out to be?First the person is no good because they are for up north.You find out they are not. They are from Carolina and still they are no good. To be blunt about it you are nothing more than an A-Hole!
kaugustson

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#8 Apr 7, 2011
shutup wrote:
<quoted text>Do you understand what kind of a fool you make your self out to be?First the person is no good because they are for up north.You find out they are not. They are from Carolina and still they are no good. To be blunt about it you are nothing more than an A-Hole!
I'm not going to glorify your comment accept to say..."isn't your last sentence reflective of all I've said.

Since: Apr 11

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#9 Apr 9, 2011
really wrote:
Who is this person? You must have never been in a place to need mercy with 2 boys to raise to be men some day so they will be able to support their family
Midgett-atruenat ive

Benson, NC

#10 Sep 3, 2011
You are absolutely correct about the ridiculous rent prices in dare county. I looked at downsizing to a smaller place just within the last year because, I too, raised 2 boys to adulthood WITHOUT responsible fathers, I actually spoke to a landlord (he had a virginia cell number) who owned a singlewide mobile home on roanoke island that has been there since I was a teenager (and I'm almost 50). The landlord certainly can't have a mortgage on the trailer...they haven't allowed trailers in Dare Couny for 20 years or more now. I was speechless when he told me the rent was $850.00 a month, first and last PLUS a security deposit. That's over $2500 up front for a 30+ year old trailer. You can see into the neighbor's house so the lot is about the size of a cemetery plot basically. With that kind of money, I could BUY a nice Winnebego, pay $500 a month (brand new, by the way, unlike the singlewide) and have no neighbors if I so choose.

That is the epitomy of greed. It's just a shame that hourly wages don't keep up with the housing market in this county. That's how the out-of-state homeowners have been able to bombard this county. Those of us born and raised here (11th generation of the Midgett family) still do hard manual labor which was the charm of the county from the get-go. Family businesses now are overrun by Wings stores, gas stations, and chain restaurants. So, yes, someone SHOULD do something that closes the gap between the working man and the housing market. Or maybe just not allow them to purchase property insurance and have a few more Irene's or Isabel's take care of the rest.

Cary, NC

#11 Sep 14, 2011
really wrote:
In taking a second look at these comments written in April and after seeing the devastation that so many have gone through due to IRENE, including myself, matters not now! I ended up having to leave and relocate and take a place inland. I do hope that you and yours made it through unharmed and dry!

Cary, NC

#12 Sep 14, 2011
shutup wrote:
<quoted text>Do you understand what kind of a fool you make your self out to be?First the person is no good because they are for up north.You find out they are not. They are from Carolina and still they are no good. To be blunt about it you are nothing more than an A-Hole!
This was none Of YOUR BUSINESS! So, you should have stayed out of it'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dare County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best family law attorney (Sep '16) Sep '16 Med1267 1
News Man charged with rape in Colington (May '15) May '15 Chastity 1
News Duck police chief resigns after 11 years (Jan '15) Jan '15 adamwest1960 6
News Lambs establish COA endowment (Nov '14) Nov '14 WHOOMP 2
News Michael Taylor, photo courtesy Dare County Sher... (May '14) Aug '14 Moonshiner 12
News Dare County deputies investigate possible cab d... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sand Trap 24
"Jaded" by North Carolina Author (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lena Watlington 1
More from around the web