First Flight Recorded

Dec 17, 2012 Full story: The Pilot

Orville Wright asked Daniels, an Outer Banks coast guardsman who had been watching the escapades of the brothers Wright for several years on the sand dunes of a narrow island in Dare County, North Carolina, to stand watch and squeeze the pneumatic bulb to trigger Wright's camera when he saw the "Wright Flyer" take off.

Full Story
Southern Shores Res

Windsor, NC

#1 Dec 18, 2012
It is nice to see someone write the correct description of what the Wright Bros actually accomplished here. I bet if you asked 100 people you would hear 90 say the brothers were the first to fly a plane. That's just not correct, many had flown gliders before, including them here years before. It is somewhat sad when the locals, and implants alike, have no idea what actually happened here 109 years ago, but school is not as important here as surfing and fishing I guess.
duh

Dunn, NC

#2 Dec 18, 2012
Obviously you didn't pass Wright Flight in 5th grade!

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

#3 Dec 19, 2012
I'm not sure "sad" is the right word to use. What the Wrights did was pure genius, combining knowledge from those before them with their own research to develop the first powered, heavier than air aircraft with full control in 3 axis. Then they put so much effort into the patent thing that the rest of the world zoomed right by them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dare County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lambs establish COA endowment Nov 30 WHOOMP 2
Michael Taylor, photo courtesy Dare County Sher... (May '14) Aug '14 Moonshiner 12
Dare County deputies investigate possible cab d... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sand Trap 24
"Jaded" by North Carolina Author (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lena Watlington 1
What is wrong with Ray Midgett (Nov '13) Nov '13 observer 1
Dare Co. inmate found dead in cell identified (Jul '13) Jul '13 Someone who cares 1
ABC Customers Warned Of Security Breach (Jul '13) Jul '13 roanokeislander 1
More from around the web