Gov. Walker fires attorney in same-sex lawsuit

Mar 23, 2011 Full story: WIBA-AM Madison 39

Republican Gov. Scott Walker has fired the attorney who was representing the state in a lawsuit challenging Wisconsin's domestic partner registry.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Good luck with that !!!!”

Since: Dec 10

Jersey City, NJ

#21 Mar 25, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
I doubt the next election will reflect just this one issue. He has made many mistakes as you have pointed out. I see other states are considering following him. I am betting none have the balls
<quoted text>
That wouldn't surprise me. They just might, and they just might get their way. I remember the last time this happened (when the GOP used their newfound monopolic power to payoff supporters and concentrate on moral issues while ignoring all else, 2000 - 2006 I believe, though that was on a national scale)and one can only wonder if it will again lead to the Dems once again gaining back all that they've lost.

Jersey City, NJ

#22 Mar 25, 2011
pauline 2 wrote:
The only way to make marriage equal is to ban the word from the language, just like the N word.
It is, after all, the #1 cause of divorce !!!:)

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#23 Mar 25, 2011
I apologize but I don't remember that
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
That wouldn't surprise me. They just might, and they just might get their way. I remember the last time this happened (when the GOP used their newfound monopolic power to payoff supporters and concentrate on moral issues while ignoring all else, 2000 - 2006 I believe, though that was on a national scale)and one can only wonder if it will again lead to the Dems once again gaining back all that they've lost.

Jersey City, NJ

#24 Mar 25, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
I apologize but I don't remember that
<quoted text>
When Bush was in office, the GOP had full reign of the congress, Senate and WH from '00 to '06. Instead of tackling real issues, they were too busy going after gay marriage, steroid hearings, and spending money like.........democrats. Only after the dems took back congress and the senate was split did then Pres Bush want a halt on spending. That is how the dems became so powerful in the first place.
That is why I laugh when people try to tell me that the GOP are the financially respionsible party when the evidence tells me that there is no such thing.
And when I see Boehner wants to use taxpayer money to hire outside counsel(friends of his, I'm sure)to sue over the defense of DOMA, well it kind of looks familiar.

Location hidden

#25 Mar 25, 2011
I guess I really could pay more attention. I really don't follow politics except for some local where I can personally make a difference.
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
When Bush was in office, the GOP had full reign of the congress, Senate and WH from '00 to '06. Instead of tackling real issues, they were too busy going after gay marriage, steroid hearings, and spending money like.........democrats. Only after the dems took back congress and the senate was split did then Pres Bush want a halt on spending. That is how the dems became so powerful in the first place.
That is why I laugh when people try to tell me that the GOP are the financially respionsible party when the evidence tells me that there is no such thing.
And when I see Boehner wants to use taxpayer money to hire outside counsel(friends of his, I'm sure)to sue over the defense of DOMA, well it kind of looks familiar.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#26 Mar 25, 2011
A financially responsible Republican is one that has his hand in your front pocket. it feels so good you don't notice the pick.
Becky

Chandler, AZ

#27 Mar 25, 2011
Gay Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Get back to me when the final word on the Constitutionality of DOMA is determined. Then you will have a basis for discussion.
Let's see, how much more Constitutional can a LAW be? It is unconstitutional the way Odrama and Holder have decided they are not going to defend the law anymore? Maybe you should "google" these; Bob Chanin and DOMA? After you google these then you will see I already have a basis for my discussion.

I can understand you may not be looking at this as clearly because Odrama keeps flip flopping on what he campaigned on and his actions today?

New York, NY

#28 Mar 25, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
I guess I really could pay more attention. I really don't follow politics except for some local where I can personally make a difference.
<quoted text>
You can make a difference on a national scale. Let's face it, s*it rolls down hill. It starts on the fed level and rolls to the states. These are our congresspeople and senators allowing this crap to happen. They bitch and moan that jobs are scarce, and we are at the mercy of commodities and fuel prices. Meanwhile a vaild option is staring them right in the face and they won't even consider it.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#29 Mar 25, 2011
fr abe:

>In other words he is serving the majority of his constituents?...<

He is NOT "serving the majority of his constituents". Not by a LONG shot. Having gone so far as to strip collective bargaining rights away from unions just shows he's in the repuke's pockets. It appears that he doesn't care to remember that UNIONS got us clean and safe working conditions, the 8 hour day, paid sick leave, holiday and vacation time, as well as abolishing child labor in the mines and manufacturing plants. That's right: UNIONS. The next time you flip a burger on Labor Day, stop and thank a UNION member.

Location hidden

#30 Mar 25, 2011
The effect we have on our politicians is minuscule. Local politicians are your neighbors, friends, and sometimes family. They are more deserving of my time
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
You can make a difference on a national scale. Let's face it, s*it rolls down hill. It starts on the fed level and rolls to the states. These are our congresspeople and senators allowing this crap to happen. They bitch and moan that jobs are scarce, and we are at the mercy of commodities and fuel prices. Meanwhile a vaild option is staring them right in the face and they won't even consider it.

Location hidden

#31 Mar 25, 2011
Next time government spends 2 mill on a bridge that should have cost 200k then I will thank the unions
Pattysboi wrote:
fr abe:
>In other words he is serving the majority of his constituents?...<
He is NOT "serving the majority of his constituents". Not by a LONG shot. Having gone so far as to strip collective bargaining rights away from unions just shows he's in the repuke's pockets. It appears that he doesn't care to remember that UNIONS got us clean and safe working conditions, the 8 hour day, paid sick leave, holiday and vacation time, as well as abolishing child labor in the mines and manufacturing plants. That's right: UNIONS. The next time you flip a burger on Labor Day, stop and thank a UNION member.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#32 Mar 25, 2011
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, how much more Constitutional can a LAW be? It is unconstitutional the way Odrama and Holder have decided they are not going to defend the law anymore? Maybe you should "google" these; Bob Chanin and DOMA? After you google these then you will see I already have a basis for my discussion.
I can understand you may not be looking at this as clearly because Odrama keeps flip flopping on what he campaigned on and his actions today?
The courts have already found parts of DOMA unconstitutional. You have NO basis until the final word is handed down. Then we'll talk.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#33 Mar 25, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
Next time government spends 2 mill on a bridge that should have cost 200k then I will thank the unions
<quoted text>
Lets look at it differently as well. the union workers are trained and supervised by those who know their business.

If that bridge falls down because it was made by 600 Chines immigrants, who do not speak English or know what they are doing, consider how cheaply it was don, not how many die because it was done too cheaply by untrained workers.

New York, NY

#34 Mar 26, 2011
Honest AbeL wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you can thank the politician who awarded the contract to the business owner who supported his last campaign without looking into other builders.
Becky

Chandler, AZ

#35 Mar 28, 2011
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said the Dems were perfect as they have proven to be looking out for their own agendas as well.
However, my point was a rebuttal to the notion that Walker's actions were Gov't "for the people, by the people".
His additions to the budget bill reek of cronyism and the appeasement of moral conservatives while screwing the working person.
He had no reason to eliminate bargaining power of the workers to balance the budget when union members were willing to make the concessions needed.
You can't deny that his actions on this issue send a clear signal as to where he stands on this lawsuit.
I wonder what other favors he plans on repaying at the expense of the WI taxpayer????
Why should a public sector worker have others paying for their health insurance premiums, pensions and many other "DEALS" they have gotten from the unions through the pay check of a private sector worker. A lot of the private sector workers are not able to put into their 401K for themselves and then here they are having to pay for a union workers benefits. Where is the say for these people? Did they get a voice? Exactly, I didn't think so!!!

The WI taxpayers have been held hostage too long for the unions to have all that they do. It is time for them to wake up and see the gravy train ends here. The leaders of these unions are so corrupt it isn't even funny. I think you should google Bob Chanin and Trumpka!!! Why can't the unions pay for the benefits of their members are they are raking the money in. These union members probably don't even know what the union is just as long as their paycheck arrives....
Becky

Chandler, AZ

#36 Mar 28, 2011
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the other states have more balls than what the democrats from WI have!!!!!! Good thing they came home when they did to enjoy a few more weeks off of work. Let's see, they ripped the taxpayers off in WI by not going into work and then receiving pay for work they didn't do!!!!
Becky

Chandler, AZ

#37 Mar 29, 2011
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said the Dems were perfect as they have proven to be looking out for their own agendas as well.
However, my point was a rebuttal to the notion that Walker's actions were Gov't "for the people, by the people".
His additions to the budget bill reek of cronyism and the appeasement of moral conservatives while screwing the working person.
He had no reason to eliminate bargaining power of the workers to balance the budget when union members were willing to make the concessions needed.
You can't deny that his actions on this issue send a clear signal as to where he stands on this lawsuit.
I wonder what other favors he plans on repaying at the expense of the WI taxpayer????
I do not know why anyone has such a hard time understanding these State Governments WILL NOT have the money to pay these ridiculous pensions? These unions sucked the blood out of all of us, with all of these sweet heart deals, and now here comes Wah Wah because they are not getting their way? I think that it is only fair for these union contracts be posted online and let ALL of the American people see what we actually are paying for. In my belief, if we could look at the benefits we pay for another group, then a lot of the individuals that have been supporting this would not be very happy!!!! I believe you need to go google Bob Chanin and Trumpka!!! Maybe if these union leaders were paying for their members benefits with all the money they collect from them then the bickering over this matter...
Becky

Chandler, AZ

#38 Mar 29, 2011
Len in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, those dems are what I would want looking after our affairs as they sluffed their responsibility to make a 2011 budget. That is against the constitution. The dems...let's see, oh yeah they are the ones that SHOVED healthcare reform no matter the protests of the American people. Oh and then they give their union friends waivers....If I am not mistaken, were the unions one of the main supporters for this healthcare plan? Why whould they need a waiver if it is so good. Let alone the healthcare program is unconstitutional. Oh yeah, per the Obama Administration the Southern Arizona is soooooo secure. Okay President Obama, I challenge you to bring your family and move down by the border, oh yeah, my challenge is to be without body guard!!! Bet he won't take that challenge. So in essence they are not enforcing the constitution to provide the protection of the American Citizens. Oh yeah, when he and Eric Holder decided not to defend the DOMA Law, another unconstitutional situation. AS COMMANDER IN CHIEF, you don't get to choose which laws you will enforce or defend!!!! Sounds like they must have taken some lessons from Sheriff Dupnik, who on national tv said "He is not going to enforce the Immigration Law of Arizona....of course it is time for all of these DICTATORS to go!!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

#39 Mar 30, 2011
That isn't true. If non union workers do the job they must be paid prevailing wages set by the unions. The government can never have anything done at a reasonable rate because of the unions. The Chinese built most of the rail systems around the world. Many are still in operation.
pauline 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets look at it differently as well. the union workers are trained and supervised by those who know their business.
If that bridge falls down because it was made by 600 Chines immigrants, who do not speak English or know what they are doing, consider how cheaply it was don, not how many die because it was done too cheaply by untrained workers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dane County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama picks federal prosecutor as attorney general Nov '14 Matt Mikkelsen 1
Madison attorney receives jail sentence for sex... Sep '14 CJBrant 1
Bail raised to $2 million for former deputy cha... Sep '14 Anonymous 1
Poet Maya Angelou remembered at memorial service (Jun '14) Jun '14 Fa-Foxy 1
Neighborhood Questions about New Day Center (May '14) May '14 twostroketerror 1
Wisconsin DNR struggling to curb sex, drugs at ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 marika 1
A Madison dad faces deportation for smoking wee... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Bama Yankee 1
More from around the web