Local man, 31, disappears on way to campgrounds

Police and family members are asking for the public's help in locating a James City County man who left for a camping trip a week ago and never reached his destination. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Chesapeake, VA

#26 Oct 17, 2008
American wrote:
<quoted text>
No. You missed the point, which was that if the worried family wants to "put out an alert" that likely uses thousands of dollars of taxpayer-funded manpower, equipment and services ...
Good Lord, now who's overreacting? This wasn't a manhunt. It was an alert for a missing person. They sent out emails to the media and to other law enforcement around the region, and they radioed to patrols. Where do you get the idea that this cost thousands of dollars?

It's amazing to me the things that some people find to crab about. This family had someone missing. They were worried, and with good reason. The police put out an alert by email and radio. It had a happy ending.

And you're pissed off about it?

Get a life.
Been There Done That

Norfolk, VA

#27 Oct 17, 2008
My husband / boyfriend at the time disappeared for a few days. We were frantic. He was in the Navy heading to a new command. I called the new place to be told he hadn't checked in. He didn't show up for a planned trip. His mother was hysterical, so I called the Red Cross. They located him at his new command. Why he disappeared - he was sick and went to a hotel to recoup. He has never done this since. It is not hard to make a phone call and tell someone you have changed your plans.
BUT8 There has to be more to this story. Why was the mother looking for him in the first place. I "assume" that would have happened on the first day of his trip.

Since: Jul 08

Hampton

#30 Oct 17, 2008
Towelhead wrote:
That is what happens when democrat campers eat their psychedelic mushrooms and wander off into the woods with kayaks strapped on their heads
Nice to see an idiot have the first post. Well done.
American

Poquoson, VA

#31 Oct 17, 2008
Towelhead wrote:
That is what happens when democrat campers eat their psychedelic mushrooms and wander off into the woods with kayaks strapped on their heads
Ha Ha! Good one!
All is Well

Yorktown, VA

#32 Oct 17, 2008
I can understand both sides. He's an adult and changed his mind, shouldn't have to report his every move, something must have come up where mom needed to contact him and couldn't and panicked. Everyone is safe and sound. I'm sure he is totally embarrassed and will make sure mom is kept posted next time! I'm just jealous because he was in Ocracoke and I was stuck here! lol
Chet

Yorktown, VA

#33 Oct 17, 2008
My family never worries when I am out and about on my own - I carry a firearm 100% of the time where lawful.

A lawful citizen with a firearm can always count on using it to protect his/her life when no other options are available.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away...
We Know

Yorktown, VA

#34 Oct 17, 2008
Yes Chet, we know, you don't take a crap without your gun.

His disappearance wouldn't haven't necessarily meant foul play....as is obvious by the way it turned out.
Are you kidding me

Hampton, VA

#35 Oct 18, 2008
Adam Ksbn wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Lord, now who's overreacting? This wasn't a manhunt. It was an alert for a missing person. They sent out emails to the media and to other law enforcement around the region, and they radioed to patrols. Where do you get the idea that this cost thousands of dollars?
It's amazing to me the things that some people find to crab about. This family had someone missing. They were worried, and with good reason. The police put out an alert by email and radio. It had a happy ending.
And you're **** off about it?
Get a life.
Good post. You are correct. It seems many people here are overreacting as much as this man's family did. I don't necessarily think they were out of line considering the times we live in. He could have been in a car accident on a ditch somewhere.

I recall a similar case recently where a man reported his wife missing and the police were looking at him as a suspect in her disappearance. They found her in some bushes in her car after about 5 days (still alive). She had been in an accident on her way home and her car ran off the road and could not be seen from the road.

Imagine the hell that man went through. You can't have blanket rules about these things and you have to look at them on a case by case basis. I seriously doubt search and rescue were sent out looking for this guy and to assume that the authorities search for a missing adult the same way they search for a missing child is absurd.

No harm, no foul. I'm glad he's safe but he should have called to let someone know where he was. What if there had been some sort of emergency at home while he was gone? What if one of his parents died or his house burnt down? It's just common sense to let SOMEBODY know where you are going and when you'll be back for those reasons alone.
Are you kidding me

Hampton, VA

#36 Oct 18, 2008
Chet wrote:
My family never worries when I am out and about on my own - I carry a firearm 100% of the time where lawful.
A lawful citizen with a firearm can always count on using it to protect his/her life when no other options are available.
When seconds count the police are only minutes away...
Yeah, aren't you that psycho that took a gun into a school board meeting in York County? What kind of pantywaist is terrified to go to a school board meeting in the "crime laden core" of historic Yorktown? Were you afraid of being attacked by a black socks, bermuda shorts wearing tourist? I know how dangerous those Fife and Drum kids are. They're a real menace to society.

American

Poquoson, VA

#37 Oct 18, 2008
Are you kidding me wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, aren't you that psycho that took a gun into a school board meeting in York County? What kind of pantywaist is terrified to go to a school board meeting in the "crime laden core" of historic Yorktown? Were you afraid of being attacked by a black socks, bermuda shorts wearing tourist? I know how dangerous those Fife and Drum kids are. They're a real menace to society.
You are so right - mass shootings have never been known to happen in "gun-free zones", because, after all, criminals, by definition, obey the law.

"Gun-free zones" are NOT an invitation to cowardly criminals to bring guns there and create mayhem since they know that no law-abiding citizens will have a gun there.

And one would have to be paranoid to think it "could happen here", because everyone know that those things only happen to "other people".

By that same reasoning, its folly or paranoia to keep a fire extinguisher handy, or to insure your home against any danger.

Or do you just keep your head where the sun don't shine?

"All gun-control schemes are based on the premise that criminals are going to obey the law. Well, by definition, criminals break the law…"
-- John McCain
Are you kidding me

Hampton, VA

#38 Oct 18, 2008
American wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right - mass shootings have never been known to happen in "gun-free zones", because, after all, criminals, by definition, obey the law.
"Gun-free zones" are NOT an invitation to cowardly criminals to bring guns there and create mayhem since they know that no law-abiding citizens will have a gun there.
And one would have to be paranoid to think it "could happen here", because everyone know that those things only happen to "other people".
By that same reasoning, its folly or paranoia to keep a fire extinguisher handy, or to insure your home against any danger.
Or do you just keep your head where the sun don't shine?
"All gun-control schemes are based on the premise that criminals are going to obey the law. Well, by definition, criminals break the law…"
-- John McCain
You are more likely to be struck by lightening, eaten by a shark or blown up by a terrorist attack than you are to be a victim of a mass shooting at a York County school board meeting.

Carrying a gun at all times is about as usefull as wearing a helmet and full body armor every time you drive your car.

I would hardly equate carrying a weapon into a school board meeting with keeping a fire extinguisher in your house. You are comparing apples to oranges. House fires are quite common. Mass shootings are not. Add to that the fact that when I see someone come into a public meeting with a weapon, I have no way of knowing if they are a law abiding citizen or a bad guy until they start firing. You certainly are giving complete and total strangers a lot of benefit of the doubt by not questioning their intentions when they open carry. People don't have "CRAZY" tattooed on their foreheads and if I see somebody with a gun in public they sure as hell better have a badge showing or I'm going to assume they are up to no good and get the hell out of there.

But then I personally think a person that's carrying in the open is all about intimidating EVERYONE. They can say it's about the bad guys all they want but they are so insecure they assume ALL of us are out to do THEM harm but we're expected to not question their motives. Sorry but I'm not going to extend that courtesy to someone that's not extending it to me. If you don't give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm a law abiding citizen then I reserve the right to think you are a nutjob.

“Jacob's Sookie”

Since: Nov 07

Hamilton,Va SOBX

#39 Oct 18, 2008
Towelhead wrote:
That is what happens when democrat campers eat their psychedelic mushrooms and wander off into the woods with kayaks strapped on their heads
Do you know where these shrooms come from?

“Jacob's Sookie”

Since: Nov 07

Hamilton,Va SOBX

#40 Oct 18, 2008
All is Well wrote:
I can understand both sides. He's an adult and changed his mind, shouldn't have to report his every move, something must have come up where mom needed to contact him and couldn't and panicked. Everyone is safe and sound. I'm sure he is totally embarrassed and will make sure mom is kept posted next time! I'm just jealous because he was in Ocracoke and I was stuck here! lol
That's a mom for you IF you still live at home at 31. Last sentence- INDEED.

“Jacob's Sookie”

Since: Nov 07

Hamilton,Va SOBX

#41 Oct 18, 2008
Are you kidding me wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. You are correct. It seems many people here are overreacting as much as this man's family did. I don't necessarily think they were out of line considering the times we live in. He could have been in a car accident on a ditch somewhere.
I recall a similar case recently where a man reported his wife missing and the police were looking at him as a suspect in her disappearance. They found her in some bushes in her car after about 5 days (still alive). She had been in an accident on her way home and her car ran off the road and could not be seen from the road.
Imagine the hell that man went through. You can't have blanket rules about these things and you have to look at them on a case by case basis. I seriously doubt search and rescue were sent out looking for this guy and to assume that the authorities search for a missing adult the same way they search for a missing child is absurd.
No harm, no foul. I'm glad he's safe but he should have called to let someone know where he was. What if there had been some sort of emergency at home while he was gone? What if one of his parents died or his house burnt down? It's just common sense to let SOMEBODY know where you are going and when you'll be back for those reasons alone.
It is obvious to ME he did not care to call home.
31 is old enough to know better-and he has probably done this before-or just doesn't care.

Regardless- kids of ALL ages- call home once in a while-it would make your life such simpler.:D
umw2010

Fredericksburg, VA

#42 Oct 18, 2008
I understand that his mother was worried about him but he is an ADULT. It's time to cut the cord! He should be more considerate and call his parents but for them to just check up on him like that and then get freaked out if he doesn't answer his phone seems like a gross overreaction to me. I don't feel like at 31 years old, he needs to tell his parents about every move he makes.

“Jacob's Sookie”

Since: Nov 07

Hamilton,Va SOBX

#43 Oct 18, 2008
Max wrote:
<quoted text>
He must have suffered from McCain disease -- dementia and disorientation.
O is suffering the same fate.
Who ARE his associates Max?
A convenient loss of memory for o as well.

Who are they- you know about McCain's "dark" places in life- lets hear about O's-

Or is he REALLY the little messiah that need NOT answer any questions on his associates?

“Jacob's Sookie”

Since: Nov 07

Hamilton,Va SOBX

#44 Oct 18, 2008
person of no importance wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see an idiot have the first post. Well done.
It was an unusual - wilderness post wasn't it?

Made no sense at all. Mushrooms come from cow pies after maturing- considered legally as heroin.

Who would eat shrooms grown in cow crap?
American

Poquoson, VA

#45 Oct 18, 2008
Are you kidding me wrote:
<quoted text>
You are more likely to be struck by lightening, eaten by a shark or blown up by a terrorist attack than you are to be a victim of a mass shooting at a York County school board meeting.
Carrying a gun at all times is about as usefull as wearing a helmet and full body armor every time you drive your car.....
I reserve the right to decide for myself what the risks of life are and how I should best prepare myself to meet them.

I do not acknowledge that you have any input into my decision in this matter whatsoever and in fact I am highly suspicious of your freakish need to insist on pushing that input upon any who may choose differently than yourself.

I and many millions of other American civilians choose to follow the example of police officers everywhere and carry firearms for defensive purposes. In case you misunderstand my meaning here, let me emphasize, I carry a firearm for the same reasons as police do - because firearms are the proven best defense tool in most violent crime scenarios. And make no mistake, using a handgun for self-defense is not rocket science. The average concealed carry permit holder who carries regularly is likely as safe and effective in its use as that average police officer.

Statistically, I am seven times less likely to shoot the wrong person as a police officer in a confrontation situation involving violent criminals. This is because if I or someone near me is the victim of a violent attack I am able to follow the event from the beginning and have a better idea of who is who and what is what. Face the facts, criminals are mostly cowards and rarely do violent acts where they believe police to be present.

In fact, extensive interviews of convicted violent criminals shows that they fear being shot by and armed victim more than twice as much as being arrested and jailed by police. This means that the fact that many of us do carry concealed firearms provide an umbrella effect of protection to all in society - the thugs don’t know who is armed and who is not and so must select their victims even more carefully that if all law-abiding citizens were unarmed.

It is no coincidence that violent attacks and armed home invasions have almost doubled in the UK since they banned the ownership of most guns and all legal self-defense in that country.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Dial 911 and die. Call for a pizza, and ambulance and a cop, and see which arrives first.

I realize that those most in need of help are often the last to admit it, but here are a couple links that might be of some use to one as fearful of the normal tools of self-defense as yourself:

Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm

And this is an interesting exploration of you phobias, or also, insight into how and why people used firearms for self defense:

http://www.a-human-right.com/
umw2010

Fredericksburg, VA

#47 Oct 18, 2008
American wrote:
<quoted text>
I reserve the right to decide for myself what the risks of life are and how I should best prepare myself to meet them.
I do not acknowledge that you have any input into my decision in this matter whatsoever and in fact I am highly suspicious of your freakish need to insist on pushing that input upon any who may choose differently than yourself.
I and many millions of other American civilians choose to follow the example of police officers everywhere and carry firearms for defensive purposes. In case you misunderstand my meaning here, let me emphasize, I carry a firearm for the same reasons as police do - because firearms are the proven best defense tool in most violent crime scenarios. And make no mistake, using a handgun for self-defense is not rocket science. The average concealed carry permit holder who carries regularly is likely as safe and effective in its use as that average police officer.
Statistically, I am seven times less likely to shoot the wrong person as a police officer in a confrontation situation involving violent criminals. This is because if I or someone near me is the victim of a violent attack I am able to follow the event from the beginning and have a better idea of who is who and what is what. Face the facts, criminals are mostly cowards and rarely do violent acts where they believe police to be present.
In fact, extensive interviews of convicted violent criminals shows that they fear being shot by and armed victim more than twice as much as being arrested and jailed by police. This means that the fact that many of us do carry concealed firearms provide an umbrella effect of protection to all in society - the thugs don’t know who is armed and who is not and so must select their victims even more carefully that if all law-abiding citizens were unarmed.
It is no coincidence that violent attacks and armed home invasions have almost doubled in the UK since they banned the ownership of most guns and all legal self-defense in that country.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Dial 911 and die. Call for a pizza, and ambulance and a cop, and see which arrives first.
I realize that those most in need of help are often the last to admit it, but here are a couple links that might be of some use to one as fearful of the normal tools of self-defense as yourself:
Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality
http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm
And this is an interesting exploration of you phobias, or also, insight into how and why people used firearms for self defense:
http://www.a-human-right.com/
Very well said. Sadly, I'm not yet old enough to carry a concealed weapon in VA (I will be soon though!) but I absolutely intend upon getting one within the next couple of years. Being a college student, I have seen first hand how sorely my campus lacks adequate security. The security officers do what they can but there are only about 5 of them on duty at a time for a campus of 4,000 and they can't be everywhere at once. Within the past 6 months, there has been an attempted assault on a jogger at our athletic complex and a sexual assault on a female student at the parking deck. Neither of the perpetrators have been caught. If they had been shot, what do you think the chances are that they'd still be at large right now? My guess is slim to none.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cumberland County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Victory, but at what cost: Prison inmate's hung... (Nov '13) Nov '13 brs 1
State Police Looking for Man Wanted in Fatal Lo... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Old Hare 22
Senator Garrett is a Good Guy (Nov '12) Nov '12 Laura Morrison 1
Hocus Pocus (Oct '12) Oct '12 liibaby123 1
Cumberland veterans' advocate charged with stea... (Sep '12) Sep '12 ezekiel leavell jr 1
Rail concept to match system of interstates for... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Effington 2
Coroner: Cumberland County homicide victim was ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 c -- link 2

Cumberland County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE