Fairgrounds contractor says he's owed...

Fairgrounds contractor says he's owed over $300,000

There are 12 comments on the KAIT-TV Jonesboro story from Jan 20, 2013, titled Fairgrounds contractor says he's owed over $300,000. In it, KAIT-TV Jonesboro reports that:

JONESBORO, AR - A contractor who says he's owed $304,000 for work at the new fairgrounds in Jonesboro is taking steps to foreclose on the property if the Craighead County Fair Association fails to pay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KAIT-TV Jonesboro.

guest

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Jan 20, 2013
Awesome
Yep

Trumann, AR

#2 Jan 20, 2013
Just what was expected. The asphalt company wants $200,000+ also. LOL
guest

Jonesboro, AR

#3 Jan 21, 2013
The Fair Board should be embarrassed and ashamed to let this happen.
GuestA

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Jan 22, 2013
guest wrote:
The Fair Board should be embarrassed and ashamed to let this happen.
Nearly Ll the old fairgrounds has been sold so where is the $$?
GuestA

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Jan 22, 2013
guest wrote:
The Fair Board should be embarrassed and ashamed to let this happen.
Nearly ALL.
guest

Jonesboro, AR

#7 Jan 22, 2013
Bet Vance construction got paid
Wow

Jonesboro, AR

#8 Jan 22, 2013
This sounds like some of the committee members suspect one of their own is pocketing the money because no one else would care.
Just another guest

Jonesboro, AR

#9 Jan 22, 2013
There is no way Gene Vance did not get paid. He was the one who shoved the project through the city council. He is the one who surprise surprise "won the bid to build the new fairgrounds". What a conflict of interest that was. He also got the bids for the new buildings on the old fairgrounds. The fair board sold the old fairgrounds for $20mm+. The new project was not that high. Besides, they only owe $1.2mm to contractors. It did cost more than that to build. Logic says that Vance got his money.

My guess is that there will be a "surprise" buyer who will swoop in and pay off the debts. The property is so incredibly close to the proposed north loop of the new bypass. It is proposed to cross hwy 49 at Nestle/CR 702.

Regardless, there was so much corruption in this whole thing, and they have now proven to be more corrupt by not paying the remaining contractors. Sadly, there were several political figures involved in all of this besides just Vance. Don't forget that certain people who promoted it got awards, certain people who could have stopped it decided to run for a higher office, certain people just plain made a bundle of money (including, but not limited to a certain realtor who sold much of the land).
GuestA

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Just another guest wrote:
There is no way Gene Vance did not get paid. He was the one who shoved the project through the city council. He is the one who surprise surprise "won the bid to build the new fairgrounds". What a conflict of interest that was. He also got the bids for the new buildings on the old fairgrounds. The fair board sold the old fairgrounds for $20mm+. The new project was not that high. Besides, they only owe $1.2mm to contractors. It did cost more than that to build. Logic says that Vance got his money.

My guess is that there will be a "surprise" buyer who will swoop in and pay off the debts. The property is so incredibly close to the proposed north loop of the new bypass. It is proposed to cross hwy 49 at Nestle/CR 702.

Regardless, there was so much corruption in this whole thing, and they have now proven to be more corrupt by not paying the remaining contractors. Sadly, there were several political figures involved in all of this besides just Vance. Don't forget that certain people who promoted it got awards, certain people who could have stopped it decided to run for a higher office, certain people just plain made a bundle of money (including, but not limited to a certain realtor who sold much of the land).
Every time we turn around something like this happens in this town. The Nancy Nelms ordeal comes to mind.
Guest

Miami, FL

#11 Jan 23, 2013
Eddie Burris couldn't manage his own farm, doesn't surprise me that this deal is a fiasco.
Guest NEA

AOL

#12 Jan 29, 2013
I heard a rumor that the Fairgrounds group was blaming Hagg/Brown for the financial shortfall because they failed to perform and Hagg/Brown said it was Gene Vance being over budget. Anyone really know?
Guest

Mckinney, TX

#13 Jan 29, 2013
Guest NEA wrote:
I heard a rumor that the Fairgrounds group was blaming Hagg/Brown for the financial shortfall because they failed to perform and Hagg/Brown said it was Gene Vance being over budget. Anyone really know?
The Fair board has already said that they were over budget and had cost over runs. I suspect they got behind and spent more money than they had budgeted inorder to get it finished in time for the fair. Did they expect to have all the property sold, or enough to pay their bills, probably so, but it sounds like they spent money they didn't have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Craighead County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BIC prepares to make cuts after millage increas... 10 hr guest 24
News Police: EMT pulls knife on first responder May 25 guest 7
News Jonesboro police bust suspected dealer/bootlegger Feb '15 KAITisTERRIBLEnews 4
News Man wanted on sexual assault charge arrested fo... Feb '15 Bubba 1
Prosecutor: Officers in shooting of drug suspec... Feb '15 randy brownlee 1
News JPs unanimously oppose a 'wet' Faulkner County (Jun '14) Dec '14 John B 53
News What does the same sex marriage ban mean for Cr... (May '14) Oct '14 DNF 16
More from around the web