JIMMY LAGO: The Cardinal's point man ...

JIMMY LAGO: The Cardinal's point man on abuse

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 12, 2006, titled JIMMY LAGO: The Cardinal's point man on abuse. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The crisis began with the arrest of Rev. Daniel McCormack, accused of sexually abusing two boys.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Nick

Alamo, TX

#1 Jan 24, 2008
I cannot understand how people who profess to follow Jesus's admonition about children that "anyone who scandalizes one of these little ones should have a millsstone hung around his neck and be thrown into the sea", can support the continuing abuse of children and promote those who were supposed to put a stop to it, but didn't. They should have been demoted and drummed out of the church leadership, including the Cardinal George who is riding high in church politics. We need new didicated leadership at the top of the Church.
Victor

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Jan 24, 2008
Nick wrote:
I cannot understand how people who profess to follow Jesus's admonition about children that "anyone who scandalizes one of these little ones should have a millsstone hung around his neck and be thrown into the sea", can support the continuing abuse of children and promote those who were supposed to put a stop to it, but didn't. They should have been demoted and drummed out of the church leadership, including the Cardinal George who is riding high in church politics. We need new didicated leadership at the top of the Church.
Hey Nick,

This is even worse than the abuse, which is horrible enough. The vatican hierarchy actually had the gall to destroy our children, and to lie to the faithful and to knowingly make a concious decision to allow the continuance of destroying our children. This and the very blasphemy of God, as they knowingly protected their own, not the children, and made a mockery of their sacred trust of the teachings of Christ, evidences that they recognized their culpability of the sins and crimes. Why do Catholics not recognize it for what it is? Is the vatican's PR that good? Have you heard the Pope say that it was sinful in breaking it's trust? No, never once. Instead, they are trying to focus on the elimination of homosexual seminarians and priests and not accepting any responsibility for their actions which promoted it in the first place. Sorry, it's just not good enough. They want us to cofess our sins, it's time for them to confess theirs and come clean, which they have never done. The vatican is not what it appears, not in the least, and their sins are being uncovered for the world to see and it's not very pretty. Wake up fellow Catholics, this is not, in any way, compatible with the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Charlie The Greek

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Jan 25, 2008
Victor wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Nick,
This is even worse than the abuse, which is horrible enough. The vatican hierarchy actually had the gall to destroy our children, and to lie to the faithful and to knowingly make a concious decision to allow the continuance of destroying our children. This and the very blasphemy of God, as they knowingly protected their own, not the children, and made a mockery of their sacred trust of the teachings of Christ, evidences that they recognized their culpability of the sins and crimes. Why do Catholics not recognize it for what it is? Is the vatican's PR that good? Have you heard the Pope say that it was sinful in breaking it's trust? No, never once. Instead, they are trying to focus on the elimination of homosexual seminarians and priests and not accepting any responsibility for their actions which promoted it in the first place. Sorry, it's just not good enough. They want us to cofess our sins, it's time for them to confess theirs and come clean, which they have never done. The vatican is not what it appears, not in the least, and their sins are being uncovered for the world to see and it's not very pretty. Wake up fellow Catholics, this is not, in any way, compatible with the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Victor,

Excellent post!
Hector

Leavenworth, KS

#4 Jan 26, 2008
Charlie The Greek wrote:
<quoted text>
Victor,
Excellent post!
Victor, allow me to second Charlie's reply to all your recent posts.
Michael Skiendzielewski

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Aug 14, 2008
The litany (I think the word is appropriate) of egregious and unethical actions by Cardinal George has been posted on this site for over a day now and not a single comment has been posted. Why? Because those who follow this trail of deceit and treachery by our Church leaders are numb to this already. Nothing is surprising, the work of desperate religious men continues to sink to lower and lower levels of depravity and evil.

Why is Cardinal George so glum and sour at the news conference announcing the settlement with abuse victims? What are the reasons for his pouting grimace? Is he embarrassed, ashamed, angry, disgusted, resentful? If he is doing the Lord’s work, why does he not find joy and hope in doing so?

I think I have the reason for his look of disdain. He has begun to realize that he is his own worst enemy. Cardinal George lacks the discipline, maturity and common sense to look critically at his own behavior, decision-making, conduct, etc. and how those actions have dramatically contributed to the decline of his Chicago Church and the parishioners respect for and allegiance to this organization.

Cardinal George is the poster boy for what mom and dad told many of us when we were growing up:“HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.” He appears so conflicted and torn because he is emeshed in such a web of lies, deceit and cover-up that he really cannot understand what is happening and why it is happening to him and to his Chicago Church.

For those reading this essay, please feel free to replace the name of the Cardinal with one from your own locale, diocese or jurisdiction. The conduct, hypocrisy, duplicity, and, oh yes, the sour, disgruntled, disheartened look is all the same, whether it be Law, Chaput, Bevilacqua, Mahoney, etc. I apologize for not naming your particular diocesan leader but it has become very difficult to keep track of all the good news (read “fine leadership”).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cook County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crook County, Illinois!!! (Jan '10) Jul '17 Mike 5
so.. cook country redistricting starting yet? o... Jul '17 Koba only cares f... 1
News Jeff Sessions claims sanctuary city policies 'e... Jul '17 spud 21
News Chicago's population decline continues for the ... Jun '17 FCC investigated ... 18
Martin Leslie addis Apr '17 Needing info 1
News State board of health investigates Lyons D103 f... Apr '17 Typical 2
Lets hope for a green earth (Mar '17) Mar '17 Malu 1
More from around the web