Bug traps analyzed for itch mite

Bug traps analyzed for itch mite

There are 79 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 14, 2007, titled Bug traps analyzed for itch mite. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Illinois public health officials today collected bug traps left out overnight in the Chicago area to determine if a rash of reports of an itchy skin irritation in recent days might be the work of a dreaded ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Linda

AOL

#62 Aug 18, 2007
I am a transplanted suburban Chicago gal now living in Hoover, Alabama and I have a bite that I thought was a chigger bite=was told it was poison ivy. but I don' think so. Maybe the mite is down here too. I have one big blotch that looks like multiple connected small bites and also have pin-point size rash on my arm. I bought Caligel and have been putting it on 3 times/day to relieve itching.
Does anyone else have similar symptoms?
mike

Darien, IL

#63 Aug 18, 2007
I have a question, Can itch mites cause bullseye bites?
mike

Darien, IL

#64 Aug 18, 2007
yes you can. go to google and type itch mite bites, then go to images. there you see the pictures.
AnotherEvilMan

Saint Paul, MN

#65 Aug 19, 2007
Nailed 3 times here in Des Plaines. Back, neck, shoulders, one in the armpit...and I never know I was bit until the day after. These little bugs have to go.
Will common insecticide kill them???
Annie in Austin

United States

#66 Aug 19, 2007
I live in Texas, but family members in the Chicago suburbs passed along tales of woe.

A few comments ago, someone named Mary from the US asked, "Is it just a coinsidence that the areas that were infested with Cicadas are the ones reporting the bites?! I don't think so."

This piqued my curiosity, and after googling found a tiny bit of circumstantial evidence for a connection: the Nebraska outbreak of 2004 followed the periodic cicadas of 2004. A 2004 article from Kansas State University noted that Tennessee was also affected -Tennessee also saw periodic cicadas in 2004.

Another article said the the Oak Gall insects themselves [not the mites] are related to cicadas.

I wonder whether any etomologists are looking at this vague but sort of interesting connection?

Well guys - at least so far you don't have fire ants.

Annie
Karin

Huntersville, NC

#67 Aug 20, 2007
Almost everyone in my office has been bitten by these. I'm sure if health officials really knew how many people are affected (without going to the doctor) they could do something. These things are awful!
BORN IN THE USA 70S

Chicago, IL

#68 Aug 22, 2007
I was by my parents yard and found these little black bugs (mites)flying around and landing on my arms. I tried to flicker it off but it was on like glue. I finally got it off and started to notice more of them by the vegetable garden. Just imagine what we take into our homes. They can land in our hair, our clothes, our children - which they do not notice the itch mites because they are too busy playing. This morning I started to see pimple size welts on my arms.. it itches sooooo bad..
The city is not even concentrating on this.. Maybe they will, once it turns into an epidemic. No mite bite is okay if it itches this bad.
Tim

Glendale Heights, IL

#69 Aug 22, 2007
These things are the worst. I have been getting attacked for weeks. Last week I had 5 on my neck. This week I have 4 on my arm. They itch, then they hurt because I scratch them. Then, they itch again. This will go on for days before the itching finally stops.
AnotherEvilMan

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Aug 23, 2007
I don't know why my account shows ST. Paul, but anyway I live in Des Plaines.

Tim, I have had about 2 dozen of these bites. I don't know what people are talking about things flying around-thouse would be gnats. You can't see these mites, they are too small and you don't know you are bit until much later after the bite. Be careful scratching, I have infected one of these bites and had to put antibiotic cream on it.

I think these are coming off of trees. I did no gardening last night, but had 2 new bites this morning.

Now I am seeing the mosquito population explode because of this rain.

Arrgghhhh...
peter

United States

#71 Aug 28, 2007
these are terrible. I cant go into the forest anymore. I origionally thought my bed was infested with fleas and washed myself with the dogs tick and flea soap. At least these things dont infest but now i try to stay as far as possible from oak trees or up wind. Washing after being outside and changing clothes helps a lot.
MizLiz

Melrose Park, IL

#72 Sep 4, 2007
If your bite gets larger and develops a ring and begins to look like a bullseye, see your doc immediately. Sounds like the classic tick that causes Lyme Disease.
MizLiz

Melrose Park, IL

#73 Sep 4, 2007
I have a much bigger rash on my chest that looks like a welt. It is about 2" in diameter, but not round. There doesn't seem to be just one "bite" site. It's not itchy, just warm to the touch and red and nasty looking. Are we all talking about the same thing?
I noticed I had this after mowing my lawn last Saturday.
Kennedy

United States

#74 Sep 5, 2007
RG Park Ridge IL wrote:
This is the second time this summer that these little scum bags have attacked me. Both times it happened while I was working outside watering the flowers. The topical OTC ointments help with the itch.
Good Luck!
Mitigator Scrub removes toxins from mite bites and stops the cause of the itching. It’s sold to the military. Scrub for 3 mins to open the pores and pull out the toxins. What a product! You scrub instead of scratch and that prevents infections. Go to mitigator.net for an Itch Kit it's a bargain
Carol

AOL

#75 Sep 10, 2007
We have two large oak trees in our backyard which were heavily infested with cicadas. Shortly after they left, the mites started biting. I've been avoiding the yard, but get the bites while sitting on my screened in porch. They must come through the screens. Nothing seems to help the itchy, red bumps.
Kennedy

United States

#76 Sep 11, 2007
LOUISE FROM TENNESSEE wrote:
WE HAVE THEM HERE IN TENNESSEE TOO.MY WHOLE FAMILY THINKS I'M CRAZY,MY BROTHER TOLD ME I NEEDED HELP.WE HAVE OAK TREES ALL AROUND OUR YARD AND I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH THESE MITES SINCE LAST SPRING.DOCTORS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.I'VE USED EVERY THING YOU CAN IMAGE,NOTHING HELPS.4 DIFFERENT EXTERMINATORS AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.
Mitigator Scrub removes toxins from mite bites and stops the cause of the itching. It’s sold to the military. Scrub for 3 mins to open the pores and pull out the toxins. What a product! You scrub instead of scratch and that prevents infections. Go to mitigator.net for an Itch Kit it's a bargain.
Iris

Chicago, IL

#77 Sep 11, 2007
Supposedly insect repellant with DEET helps, but they usually still get you regardless. You can't see the mites, and don't feel their bite. A low-level fever often comes with large numbers of bites. I've been hit pretty badly twice now.

More disturbing than the mites themselves though, is the fact that nobody's talking. Well, people are certainly talking about it amongst themselves, but the media and local government aren't saying much. They had a couple articles when the outbreak initially started, but nothing since. No followup whatsoever.

After nearly 3 weeks, they still don't know the species, and haven't even proven that it is, in fact, mites. With as widespread a problem as this is, and with all the technology available, I find that unbelievable. I also find the media's silence extremely suspicious.

So who's covering this up, and why? "
Paige_Tennessee

Nashville, TN

#78 Sep 17, 2007
We just moved to TN from UT and are experiencing the same conditions and symptoms. When I asked a long time resident of TN what the bugs were, he didn't know. My kids and husband have never been affected by them, just me and I have been eaten alive!! That seems a little strange, especially when we go to the same places together and I am the only one who is biten.
Tim

Bakersfield, CA

#79 Apr 2, 2008
Linda, I live in Auburn and have endured several months of periodic "attack" by some mysterious agent which I am now quite certain is either the Oak Gall Mite or a close relative. The symptoms are exactly as the outbreaks in the Kansas and Illinois. I've found no reference to them in Alabama but we have lots of pin oak trees nearby and a lot of leaf litter. I usually get an outbreak after raking leaves.
Linda wrote:
I am a transplanted suburban Chicago gal now living in Hoover, Alabama and I have a bite that I thought was a chigger bite=was told it was poison ivy. but I don' think so. Maybe the mite is down here too. I have one big blotch that looks like multiple connected small bites and also have pin-point size rash on my arm. I bought Caligel and have been putting it on 3 times/day to relieve itching.
Does anyone else have similar symptoms?
Mrs B

Sycamore, IL

#80 Aug 8, 2008
I live in Mount Prospect and have been suffering with something biting me since January. I have been to my doctor and Dermatologist and spent maybe over a thoasand dollars on wrong diaganosis medications. Recently I have been using plain ole olive oil all over and it has cleared a large majority of the "bites/burrows/or whatever they are" My husband and son occasionally itch but mostly it is me. My husband says it is most likely because I have soft skin. At times I also used a mixture of Garlic in cheese cloth smashed and then used it with the olive oil. It can sting a little but it is not recommended for all skin types. Some people can have a reaction to that. I am wondering if it is from the lawn guys that go around and cut the grass and then blow all that dusty mess towards my home. I have had many sleepless evenings researching and trying to find and answer, and boy is my home clean. My husband is allowed to wear his shirt once and in the boiling hot water of our washing machine it goes. I am tired though. I just want to have this problem to be done with. How are you doing? Did you have any luck getting rid of your problem. Best Wishes Mrs. B

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cook County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sex offenders sue, saying registry laws keep th... Jul 24 Anymouse 1
News Man Fatally Shot In South Suburban Harvey (Apr '06) Jun '16 A Lloyd 119
News Black History month by the numbers Jun '16 poo 3
Romel Esmail Chicago Fugitive and his sister Be... Jun '16 Bella Esmail Moore 1
News Toddler Dies of Injuries From Fire; Investigati... (Oct '08) Jun '16 In memory 20
romel esmail & bella esmail moore (Oct '15) May '16 Romel Esmail 3
News Chicago's racial employment gaps among worst in... May '16 White and Right 4
More from around the web