Texas judge: Lesbian couple can't cohabitate

May 23, 2013 Full story: Seattle Post-Intelligencer 12

A judge has ruled that a North Texas lesbian couple can't live together because of a morality clause in one of the women's divorce papers.

Full Story
Prentice

Anonymous Proxy

#1 May 23, 2013
Great job Texas!!!
derreka

Kansas City, MO

#2 May 23, 2013
Seriously?

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#3 May 23, 2013
They should simply move out of Texas.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 May 23, 2013
A classic double bind.

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#5 May 23, 2013
Supreme Court, I hope you reading this. This is why we need equal marriage throughout the "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave". This is bigotry, plain and simple.
Ex-hubby is just flexing his muscles because his ex (meaning past tense, not married anymore, no longer legally bound in matrimony) has moved on with her life. Is ex-hubby shacking up with anyone? Make sure he/she is gone by 9PM.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#6 May 23, 2013
Maybe Texas really SHOULD be allowed to secede from the union.

Location hidden

#7 May 23, 2013
Don't even joke about that.
Quest

Hanover, VA

#8 May 23, 2013
How can there be a "morality" clause in divorce papers? Isn't the idea that a divorce is final?

Location hidden

#9 May 23, 2013
Quest wrote:
How can there be a "morality" clause in divorce papers? Isn't the idea that a divorce is final?
It's in the Child Custody portion of the Divorce Arbitration Agreement.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#10 May 23, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
They should simply move out of Texas.
Wouldn't help, all states are bound by the terms of the Texas custody agreement. Even if they moved to a state which allows marriage, she would still be unmarried and in violation of the morals clause based on the Texas ruling. Federal law prohibits forum shopping in child custody cases, the first state to rule on it, sets the rules for every other state.
Rocky loco

Euless, TX

#11 May 23, 2013
I live in Texas and I love this state, but we have the most ass backward laws! Change for the betterment of all !
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#12 May 24, 2013
Rocky loco wrote:
I live in Texas and I love this state, but we have the most ass backward laws! Change for the betterment of all !
I live in TX too....and you are absolutely correct.

Their first step in the right direction towards the 20th century was the repeal of Texas' Blue Laws (google that one if you guys are interested).

Hoping that TX continues that trend with changing laws regarding same sex marriage - although our next step should be in keeping Gov Big Hair Perry out of ANY publically elected offices.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Collin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
curious about a judge (Jan '11) Dec 18 Fed Up 8
Judge Roach is not a good judge Nov '14 Disturbedonly 1
Christy Bradshaw Schmidt, MA, LPC Home Studies ... (Nov '10) Sep '14 Pat R 29
Man with fraud history arrested for swindling $... Sep '14 kendi 1
Is Collin County A racist place to live ? (Apr '08) Sep '14 fairview citizen ... 12
mckinneytexas Aug '14 eyesopen 1
Dallas residents describe immigrant influx as '... Aug '14 wild child 14
More from around the web