First residential wind turbine comes ...

First residential wind turbine comes to Clinton County

There are 4 comments on the WLFI Lafayette story from Aug 21, 2008, titled First residential wind turbine comes to Clinton County. In it, WLFI Lafayette reports that:

Wind energy has blown into Clinton County. Travis Sheets said the wind turbine now pumping energy to his home and farm, increases his property value, is maintenance-free for 20 years and it helps the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI Lafayette.

Ken

Sauquoit, NY

#1 Aug 22, 2008
DO you know what the top speed needs to be to generate the max. power ?
I believe that this is a great start to independence.
Bridget ____Frankfort

United States

#2 Aug 22, 2008
I wish there was more info about this. Define several thousand dollars?. Where did he buy it? Self installation or was installation included in the price? Can you put these anywhere, or does it have to be rural? the whole thing just sounds awesome!
Scot at Talco Electronics

San Diego, CA

#3 Aug 27, 2008
That's great news. The article is mis-leading in that it can produce 1.8 kW of energy, but that is if the average wind is blowing at 21 mph, which is unlikely, but if it were true, this unit would produce about 800 kWh/month (enough to power a normal house).

With all the wind in IN, and energy prices increasing, this is a great time to consider wind power. It will eventually pay for itself, but how long that takes depends largely on the wind at the site...it could be 20 years, but it could be 3 if the wind blows like crazy.
Scot at Talco Electronics

San Diego, CA

#4 Aug 27, 2008
Ken wrote:
DO you know what the top speed needs to be to generate the max. power ?
I believe that this is a great start to independence.
Hi, Ken;

For the Skystream 3.7, the max wind speed is around 24 mph, but it starts spinning at about 8 mph, produces power up to about 60, and can survive speeds up to 140.

If you have really strong winds, we sell Proven wind turbines, which cost more, but can still produce power in the strongest of winds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clinton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wind Turbines every 1/8 mile from 200 E to 800 ... May '16 Bo_Michaels 1
How bad is Clinton Central? Jan '16 wowser 1
News Frankfort man charged after dangerous car chase (Nov '15) Dec '15 Uh huh 12
News Inmates express themselves through art (Jul '14) Jul '14 Tidbit 1
News Frankfort PD enforcing face-to-face visits with... (Apr '14) Jul '14 Civilian 44
News TIF Districts will help develop Clinton County (Jun '14) Jun '14 rest aasured 5
News Frankfort officials hope to become 'food hub' (Apr '14) May '14 chester cheetah 6
More from around the web