Clayton County in the Toilet since Wh...

Clayton County in the Toilet since White Flight of the Mid-90's

Posted in the Clayton County Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Bill in Clayton County

Dallas, TX

#1 May 22, 2009
One only has to view the Discussion topics to see that Clayton County has been taken over by Gangs and Criminals since White residents decided to leave the county in 1994. 15 years later, the county has gone from being a historically racially mixed county to an almost completely black and Hispanic county. Jobs are gone, leadership gone, Achieving school system - Destroyed. Neighborhoods look like 3rd world countries. Many look worse than downtown Detroit of Bosnia. Thugs patrol the streets with one hand holding up there pants and the other on their weapon of choice. Young females walk up and down the streets dressed like Hookers. Foreclosures are everywhere. The roadsides look like landfills in some areas. Crime is up and police protection is down.

I recently had two white neighbors that had been in the neighborhood for over 25 years give up there homes to foreclosure and run for the hills of North Ga to escape the Ghetto which Clayton county has become. So, now I am the last homeowner of my race left in a subdivision that at one time was considered an upper-middle class neighborhood. My House has been burglarized Twice and my RV once. My insurance has gone up 40% since 1994.

Maybe it's about time to Abandon Ship and head North or West as well.

Bill
Happy in Peachtree City

United States

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Bill, I find it sad to read your post. Through the last year or so on this blog, I feel I have more in common with you than most of the other bloggers. I completely understand where you are comming from. We moved out of Riverdale in Jan of 06. We are entering our 4th year in Peachtree City. It, of course, is not perfect. But to be honest, it's the closest thing to what our little neighborhood in Riverdale was like in 1980 when we bought our house there. We finally found good tennants for our Riverdale house. I think now that the schools have regained their accreditation, they will stay long term. I wish you peace in your life. We would warmly welcome you to Peachtree City should you find a way to relocate here.
jbororefugee

Dahlonega, GA

#3 Jun 4, 2009
Bill, I abandoned the ship (aka Clayton County)
back in 95. I grew up in Jonesboro, 70's. When I return home it makes me sick to my stomach to see it now. The streets where I played, riding bikes, skate boards etc are now loaded with thugs, drug dealers.

Sadly I still own my parents home down there. Nice house, but its surrounded by crap. All I
can say its real sad when you need someone to
watch your back when cutting grass. Fear of being mugged.

FYI Currently live in Dahlonega, Gainesville area. Also I sure miss Deans BBQ.

Bill in Clayton County

Dallas, TX

#4 Jun 5, 2009
You know, The only thing that has held me back from walking away from my home is that I live in a pretty good neighborhood, and have a racially mixed group of neighbors that tend to look out for one another. Crime is pretty low because everyone knows everyone else and calls the Police when something or someone looks out of place. My house was burglarized once in the past 15 years and the Clayton County Detective squad could not find a stolen car if it was parked in thier own lot, however my insurance company took care of everything. I have wireless cameras connected to the internet and a wireless cellular alarm system on my house and RV now. If it ever happens again I'll know exactly who I'm looking for.

Kind of feels like living in Berlin Germany back in the 80's, as long as you were inside the wall everything was cool. However, Go thru Checkpoint Charlie into East Berlin and it was a completely different world.

Bill
Retired USArmy

Atlanta, GA

#5 Jun 16, 2009
Bill,
It is quite unfortunate to read how the city of Jonesboro or "Clayton County" has gone from a thriving city to a struggling low-income city / county. I am African American and served my country for more than 20 years in the military.
Unfortunately, when retiring, I looked for a close city to the airport and military-installations so as to continue military-benefits and enjoy retired life. Relocating here in Clayton County has been quite challenging.
As a military serviceman, you travel and live amongst well-diversed communities. There's no black / white / hispanic / other... we are all one serving to protect and live in peace. It's unfortunate that the minority groups here are disadvantaged and fill the need to search ill-gotten means of living so as to inprison so many hard working citizens into being afraid to live in this county.
Trust me, as I've been here for only 4 years, I would love to relocate OUT of Clayton County. Thugs, gangs, and drug dealers come in all colors, creeds, races. I know, I've been on battle lines and conflicts to see the colors of skins and the different language barriers myself.
It is my prayer that we will learn to live together in peace and respect what has been acquired and earned as opposed to lying, stealing, killing, and destroying.
I hope that even in this day and time, I will be accepted to live in peace wherever I chose to move based on character and merit, rather than skin color / race. We shouldn't live in a society where we are so divided across a country that was built on the premises that together we stand.
May God bless you and all those who search for peace and happiness together.
Bill in Clayton County

Dallas, TX

#6 Jun 17, 2009
Retired USArmy, My comments were not meant to be racial, but an honest look at the current state of affairs. I have some wonderful Black neighbors as Ive said many times before. But to keep it real and honest you must occaisionally look at the local Police blotter or the population of the Clayton County Jail. It's obvious that the over whelming majority of crime in the county is attributed to young to middle aged black americans. The only reason that the same demagraphic for white americans is much lower is because the general population of whites in the county is very small these days. In years past the population of the jail was in fact the oppisite of today, just a lower count.

I as well am a Retired Senior NCO. After 30 years of service I would like to think that I am tollerant of all races and nationalities. I judge people based on their Character and Actions. There are many White, Black, Brown, Red and Yellow Dirtbags out there. There are also may great folks of the same races and nationalities as well.
jbororefugee

Memphis, TN

#7 Jun 17, 2009
Question for Retired USArmy. What do you mean with "minority groups here are disadvantaged"?
Retired USArmy

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jun 18, 2009
From the way I see it (being here 5 years) there is a HUGE number of illegal aliens. They are using quite a bit of medical benefits without qualifying. I was told this area is considered low-income due to the high number of illegal immigrants living in this county and also with the Atlanta city "section 8" homes closing. I could be mistaken with the choice of word I used, "disadvantaged" however, I couldn't settle on a better word to describe the situation.
Retired USArmy

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jun 18, 2009
Bill,

Well stated! Thanks for your response. God Bless you and God Bless America!
Incredulous

Perry, GA

#10 Jul 26, 2009
I grew up in Rex, GA during the 70s and 80s and attended Mt. Zion, Adamson, & Morrow High. I can absolutely assure any reader who is not convinced even now, that Clayton Co. is as different now as night and day. I knew hundreds of people and every last person no longer resides in that county. Clayton Co. is a mess and it is blatantly apparent the peace loving non-racist white American families are absolutely no longer welcome there.
Barb

Richmond, VA

#11 Jul 28, 2009
I was a resident of Jonesboro, GA for over 19 years and sold my house in 2005 to get what I could for it with some sort of profit. I had almost had it paid off too! My neighborhood was becoming the "hood". It was painful to see such a lovely home, neighborhood, and town go so bad so fast. I raised 3 children in Jonesboro and the schools were very good, and even when I bought our home in the mid 80's the schools all had excellent ratings. We took pride in our area until they started busing in the low income black children to go to schools with the middle to high class whites children. There were black kids stealing from white kids at the high school so bad that I even had to call the police on one black youth for just stealing my son's pager which the black youth couldn't use. I told his mother if I didn't get it back I would press charges and did. It was so dumb that the mother of a 14 year old black youth couldn't get him to just return the pager to me or my son. Like it was his choice, as a parent and my son did anything like that I would have took control. The police found the pager on him and returned it to us. It was crazy, like he did not think he would be arrested and didn't seem to care? I moved to Alpharetta like many whites did at the time to try to get away from the crap of Clayton County. Just look at it...it's still crap and will be crap 10 years from now. They voted in Sheriff Hill and look what he did? Duh! They voted in the school board members that did the accreditation failures, those board members wanted just the power. They should all be in jail as far as I am concern, but remember there black! They voted out the good whites with high morals who really cared about the children! When the high school finally let a convicted felony(black) be on the football team that's when my for sale sign went up. I even listed my house with a black realtor cause I knew no whites would buy in Clayton County. It's not going to change, it's going to get worse because the Hispanics will fight back, and not just run like us whites would could afford to. It's going to much worse!
Kim

Killeen, TX

#12 Jul 28, 2009
Barb wrote:
I was a resident of Jonesboro, GA for over 19 years and sold my house in 2005 to get what I could for it with some sort of profit. I had almost had it paid off too! My neighborhood was becoming the "hood". It was painful to see such a lovely home, neighborhood, and town go so bad so fast. I raised 3 children in Jonesboro and the schools were very good, and even when I bought our home in the mid 80's the schools all had excellent ratings. We took pride in our area until they started busing in the low income black children to go to schools with the middle to high class whites children. There were black kids stealing from white kids at the high school so bad that I even had to call the police on one black youth for just stealing my son's pager which the black youth couldn't use. I told his mother if I didn't get it back I would press charges and did. It was so dumb that the mother of a 14 year old black youth couldn't get him to just return the pager to me or my son. Like it was his choice, as a parent and my son did anything like that I would have took control. The police found the pager on him and returned it to us. It was crazy, like he did not think he would be arrested and didn't seem to care? I moved to Alpharetta like many whites did at the time to try to get away from the crap of Clayton County. Just look at it...it's still crap and will be crap 10 years from now. They voted in Sheriff Hill and look what he did? Duh! They voted in the school board members that did the accreditation failures, those board members wanted just the power. They should all be in jail as far as I am concern, but remember there black! They voted out the good whites with high morals who really cared about the children! When the high school finally let a convicted felony(black) be on the football team that's when my for sale sign went up. I even listed my house with a black realtor cause I knew no whites would buy in Clayton County. It's not going to change, it's going to get worse because the Hispanics will fight back, and not just run like us whites would could afford to. It's going to much worse!
Are you on crack. The Hispanics are part of the problem. What world do you live in?
9877Jane

Atlanta, GA

#13 Jul 28, 2009
I have been a n educational professional in Clayton County for the past four years. I grew up overseas, and was recruited by Clayton County Schools in my home country to help fill a desperate need for high quality teachers. In my time here, I have worked incredibly hard (and countless unpaid overtime hours) to help the children in my care achieve - with a great success rate.
I don't see the demise of Clayton County (and yes, I have many friends who were previous residents that have now left, and I live there myself) as a color issue. I see it as a culture issue. When you have a large group of adults, ADULTS who allow their children to run wild whilst the focus on their own selfish needs there is going to be no improvement. When you have grown people who, through some synaptic misfiring believe that the world owes them a living, there is unfortunately going to be a reduction in the quality of the area. Until we teach these adults, to pull up their pants and take pride in themselves and in their responsibilities as a parent and a citizen, there is going to be no improvement.
There has been a culture of blame cultivated amongst the people in this county (and other societies in general) that have made it okay to blame others for a crappy situation without ever actually trying to fix the problem. Bad things happen all the time, but that doesn’t make it okay to keep the poverty cycle spinning. I don’t pretend to understand that mentality, and I’m really glad I don’t.
There are people in our military that put their lives on the line every day for the people of this country, teachers like myself who work themselves to the bone because they want to see change, and for the most part it’s appreciated beyond anything that those people could ever imagine. I am incredibly proud of my adopted country – the national anthem brings a tear to my eye every single time, and not a day goes by where I don’t think about what I can do to make this country – and my county a better place. Truth is, I have no idea where to start. From where I stand it seems like a pretty big mountain to climb.
It breaks my heart to say so, but the things I have seen and heard and the abuse I have taken from people who are supposed to be role-models is beyond anything I have ever experienced in my life.
I hear stories about how multi-cultural and beautiful Clayton County used to be, and all I see are broken down buildings , dilapidated businesses and people with way too much time on my hands. I can imagine what a wonderful place it once was, but they don’t call Clayton County Cell Block C for nothing.
Add me to the list. I'm out.
Bill in Clayton County

Dallas, TX

#14 Aug 3, 2009
"It breaks my heart to say so, but the things I have seen and heard and the abuse I have taken from people who are supposed to be role-models is beyond anything I have ever experienced in my life.
I hear stories about how multi-cultural and beautiful Clayton County used to be, and all I see are broken down buildings , dilapidated businesses and people with way too much time on my hands. I can imagine what a wonderful place it once was, but they don’t call Clayton County Cell Block C for nothing.
Add me to the list. I'm out."

WELL SAID: I remember in 1994 you could drive down Flint River Road and Thomas Road and the properties were well maintained, Grass Cut, Wooden Fences looked nice, no trash along the roadway, so on an so fourth. Today the roadways look like the trash dumps you see on the West end of Atlanta, Fences are trashed and Kicked down behind vacant homes because the homeys don't want to walk around to the end of the street. Graffiti marks some that have to be continuously repainted by the owners. Thugs and little Ho wannabes march up and down the road holding their crotches or pushing a stroller dressed like a total prostitute. It's very sad. In the past 15 year I have had to heavily arm my home, put in Internet based video camera's all around my property, Wireless cellular alarm system and raise a dog to attack anything that crosses the fence line.

The only way to survive Thugs and Thieves in Clayton County.

Bill
Woman in Clayton

United States

#15 Aug 13, 2009
Bill and others who have left. I live in Clayton County and thank you for leaving. Whether you are White or Black please stop stepping on Clayton County. We have many strong, viable middle class Black communities. Our crime is down and that is because we the citizens, are working to make it safe for everyone. So go ahead and enjoy your lives where you are now and let us be.
Supra22

Atlanta, GA

#16 Aug 14, 2009
Bill in Clayton County wrote:
"It breaks my heart to say so, but the things I have seen and heard and the abuse I have taken from people who are supposed to be role-models is beyond anything I have ever experienced in my life.
Add me to the list. I'm out."
WELL SAID: I remember in 1994 you could drive down Flint River Road and Thomas Road and the properties were well maintained, Grass Cut, Wooden Fences looked nice, no trash along the roadway, so on an so fourth. Today the roadways look like the trash dumps you see on the West end of Atlanta, Fences are trashed and Kicked down behind vacant homes because the homeys don't want to walk around to the end of the street. Graffiti marks some that have to be continuously repainted by the owners. Thugs and little Ho wannabes march up and down the road holding their crotches or pushing a stroller dressed like a total prostitute. It's very sad. In the past 15 year I have had to heavily arm my home, put in Internet based video camera's all around my property, Wireless cellular alarm system and raise a dog to attack anything that crosses the fence line.
The only way to survive Thugs and Thieves in Clayton County.
Bill
Bill I have as much sympathy for you as anyone as me and my family are also white refugee's of Clayton county. My question to you is why stay? If you cant sell then rent your house out! Clayton county is broke beyond repair and the whites are NOT coming back. Dont waste another cent on security just get out! Trust me and and the thousands of other former white residents of Clayton when I say it is most definitely better on the other side. Where ever that may be!
Bamalama

Atlanta, GA

#17 Aug 14, 2009
Woman in Clayton wrote:
Bill and others who have left. I live in Clayton County and thank you for leaving. Whether you are White or Black please stop stepping on Clayton County. We have many strong, viable middle class Black communities. Our crime is down and that is because we the citizens, are working to make it safe for everyone. So go ahead and enjoy your lives where you are now and let us be.
Crime is down? In Clayton county?? You have NO credibility with such an stupid statement!!
Bill in Clayton County

Dallas, TX

#18 Aug 17, 2009
Rent a house in Clayton County? Are you completely mad? Wow..... That would be absolute insanity. I have invested way too much money in my home to have some low life neirdewells move in and destroy the place. I have seen way to many friends do that and have the places look like third world shacks within 6 months. The house next to me was a quite little place until the Mexicans and low rent black folks moved into it. Now its a blight on the neighborhood. I'd rather arm myself to the teeth and keep my dobermans in the back yard to protect my investment than have it destroyed and have to file for bankruptcy just to get away from it. I have some great neighbors (Mostly Black, and a couple of whites) that watch out for each other, which is the only thing keeping me in my house.

The local Circle K and the CVS pharmacy have been robbed several times a gentleman was recently shot to death in the old Ingles parking lot (Even Ingles had the common sense to get the hell out of dodge after being robbed sever times, and just last night the night manager at the Sonic was Shot during a robbery.

Let me give you a clue as to which race is doing all the robbing.... Its not the Whites, or the Mexicans.

Bill
Bill in Clayton County

Dallas, TX

#19 Aug 18, 2009
One thing is guaranteed certain though. If I lose my job in this horrible economy (Already took a pay cut), the first thing I let go back is the house in the Ghetto, and say Alveterbyebye Clayton County.
jbororefugee

Dahlonega, GA

#20 Aug 18, 2009
Crime is down in Clayton County. WOW...That statement is just pure denial of whats going on down there.

I agree with Bill on the issue of renting house....

Clayton County, I've been there done that never again......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clayton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GSA asks governor to suspend sheriff-elect Vict... (Nov '12) Feb 19 Citizen 6
Who is this pig detective. BRASHEARS? Feb 19 Citizen 1
Tara Blvd Becoming Atlanta's Stewart Avenue. (Feb '09) Nov '16 tanisiajadeeddiE1234 21
Clayton County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Re... Oct '16 Alexander 2
News Dog Sniffs Out Record Drug Bust (Sep '07) Sep '16 MelissaMayo0811 90
william ison (Oct '10) Aug '16 Anthony- Vincent ... 2
News GA: Stakes High in Clayton MARTA Vote (Oct '14) Oct '14 Burn Slow 1
More from around the web