Hawley teen sentenced in turtle burning

Hawley teen sentenced in turtle burning

There are 20 comments on the Duluth News-Tribune story from Sep 19, 2006, titled Hawley teen sentenced in turtle burning. In it, Duluth News-Tribune reports that:

An 18-year-old was sentenced to jail and community service for his part in setting a snapping turtle on fire, an incident he and his friends videotaped and posted on the Internet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Duluth News-Tribune.

Manda

AOL

#1 Sep 20, 2006
he should of recieved more then 5 days jail time & petty community service what he did was inhumane. he should of been light on fire while ppl danced around him & laughed - ha now that would be funny! f*ckin bastard is what he is. his parents should sentence jail time to for supporting him & trying to make up lame ass excuse for the boy. he was wrong, just plain out wrong & so are they!!
Jake Judd

Detroit Lakes, MN

#2 Sep 21, 2006
It's a turtle who care's ? It's a snapping turtle, they would have bittin the toes off those kids if it had a chance, would we then put the turtle on trail or want it to serve jail time? I think the media over hype of the case has gone far enoff and a 18 year old kid is reciving death threats for a turtle. I ask anyone with kids who are so angry at this young man. Is a turtles life equal to a humans? because that is what so many angry out burst seem to indicate.
Brenda

Thunder Bay, Canada

#3 Sep 22, 2006
This is not turtle verses human.

There is something seriously wrong in this man's life, and yes you are considered a man when you are 18.

To pour gasoline over a turtle and then light it on fire not once, but twice and then do a dance around it speaks volumes of a severely disturbed person.

And I don't care what excuses his parents make for him. He needs psychological help and a few sessions for his parents wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Jay Jason

Detroit Lakes, MN

#4 Sep 25, 2006
As long as law enforcement prosicutes all thoses people from around the country and the world that made a death threat aginst Mr. Ross (which I consider 10 times more disturbing than the act he did) i dont have a problem with his punishment. Lighting a turtle on fire a misdomenor terrorestic threats is a felony.
anonomos

AOL

#5 Oct 25, 2006
I love animals dearly but to give this kids death threats is over the line let it go people get lives its a turtle people are abusing dogs much worse and ive never heard anything yelled towards them get a life
Christie

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Nov 20, 2006
The fact that it is a turtle has no relevance.
An animal such as a turtle has a nervous system and if you have seen the video, the turtle never tried to bite the kids, you damn fool! The turtle was just sitting there still and the kids come up with gasoline and set it on fire and laugh! I cannot believe you can dismiss cruelty like that and give him excuses. He would not have received death threats online if had not put the video online , the DUMBASS.
Parents ought to teach their children to be better than this! You act as if this boy were 5 years old and doesnt know any better, he was 17!!!
My five year old niece just got a kitten and knows that it is wrong to hurt it. No one said to give the kid the death penalty you idiot, they just feel that he deserves the feel the full heat of the crime he committed and he deserved threats because maybe that will teach him not to abuse something defenseless as the there are people around who will not tolerate that bullshit and are not defenseless.
I hope he feels really guilty because that did absolutely nothing to deserve to be lit on fire!!
Jake Judd wrote:
It's a turtle who care's ? It's a snapping turtle, they would have bittin the toes off those kids if it had a chance, would we then put the turtle on trail or want it to serve jail time? I think the media over hype of the case has gone far enoff and a 18 year old kid is reciving death threats for a turtle. I ask anyone with kids who are so angry at this young man. Is a turtles life equal to a humans? because that is what so many angry out burst seem to indicate.
John Ramsey

United States

#7 Jan 13, 2008
does the name Jeffery Dahmer ring a bell???
fee-fee

Cleveland, OH

#8 Apr 23, 2008
oh my god over a turtle. We all do respect, but lets be serious on this topic. The cops did something about a [email protected] turtle. and they couldnt help me out when a burgler broke into my house. does it ring a bell. I did move back to Texas. That's right, i had a little apartment, and i worked at the VFW, as a cook. Does it ring a bell yet?
Jenna

Detroit Lakes, MN

#9 Aug 23, 2008
Jake Judd" Is a turtles life equal to a humans? because that is what so many angry out burst seem to indicate."

Why wouldnt a turtles life be equal to a humans life?! are you saying that humans are better then all animals just because we have houses? what is wrong with you?
mike

Fargo, ND

#10 Oct 27, 2008
ok the turtle didnt die and they didnt even harm it it was just the shell that was on fire, the turtle was ok after wards and it went back into the river. and death threats over a turtle being bullied, and they arent really messed up kids they just were being stupid, its not like they go around and trapping animals and killing them slowly. plus people do a lot worse to snakes and other animals that arent well liked
D WV

AOL

#11 Jun 17, 2009
Omg I can understand a kid doing that kind of thing but at 18????????? He should have knowen better first off and second he is an idiot ! & That kind of stuff is down right cruel he is 18 yes but he is not a child anymore either ! He is young and a teen no longer a kid there is no excuses for doing something cruel to a animal nor human ppl use some common sense and a little bit of sense to show that you have some education and the right to think before you do things you do wrong then it shows how dumb you are at that moment if you keep doing wrong then most like you are a dummy there is no stopping ppl like that only thing we can do is keep locking them up or keep them locked up from doing anymore damage or going out and doing more serious things he is still and was still in the wrong doing that ppl and some of you are such idiots as this guy goodlord help us all !!!!!!!!!!
D WV 86

AOL

#12 Jun 17, 2009
Hey rednecks since some of you think and see nothing wrong with burning an animal it's still alive oh well blah blah.... You are the type who will be setting stuff on fire and cause some innocent peron's house to burn down or worse..........
ANNYOM

AOL

#13 Jun 17, 2009
The ppl who make threats are just as sick as this guy !
ANNYOM

AOL

#14 Jun 17, 2009
Jake you poor child/person............
ANNYOM

AOL

#15 Jun 17, 2009
Watch for this woman on aol she has been making up lies/slander threats on our troops and military families and our kids as well on boards/chats we know she is in her 20's/30's from america and goes by many screen names including [email protected]
ANNYOM

AOL

#16 Jun 17, 2009
I don't care if you have issues or not there's ways to calm yourself & stop yourself from doing things i'm sure.
CHRIS

Waubun, MN

#17 Sep 11, 2009
JAKE ARE YOU THE GUY ON THE RADIO?
Texan

San Antonio, TX

#18 Oct 13, 2011
Eighteen years old is a little too old to be burning turtles; while some eighteen year old young men are serving our country at war, this one is acting stupid burning a turtle and to top it off, someone calls him a kid..
Let him get away with it and see what he does later on. He sure has some issues.
leonard

Sarona, WI

#19 Jan 18, 2014
it was wrong to injure the turtle buts its a animal not a human leonard
Yodel

Fargo, ND

#20 Jun 23, 2014
Personally I do not think it is that big of a deal. However it was not necessary either. Even so I do not think jail time and discussion over this is worth our time and resources.

Now that said if they had killed the turtle and prepared it in some soup I think that would have been delicious!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clay County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arson suspected in Barnesville barn fire (Oct '11) Oct '11 Joe 1
News Murder trial acquittal: Juror says detective se... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Irene 1
News Coleman, Franken get final say today (Mar '09) Mar '09 NEUTRAL st-paul 38
News While witness is delayed, Franken gains 14 votes (Mar '09) Mar '09 The Rad Rethuglican 25
US man, Gabe Watson, who has been charged with ... (Nov '08) Nov '08 Amy 1
News Commissioner pleads guilty to slapping student (Sep '08) Sep '08 paul 1
News Man charged with assaulting sleeping bus rider (Jun '08) Jun '08 Take The Bus 1
More from around the web