Clays, Hangers and Millers

Clays, Hangers and Millers

There are 2 comments on the Richmond Register story from Jun 8, 2011, titled Clays, Hangers and Millers. In it, Richmond Register reports that:

Here are some bits and pieces of Madison County history, not necessarily connected.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Richmond Register.

rge 123

Sikeston, MO

#1 Jul 5, 2011
i thought clay county was named after henry S.clay
the one

Kittanning, PA

#2 Jul 6, 2011
Nope, it was named after General Green Clay, an American Revolutionary War general from Virginia. I believe he was an uncle or close cousin of Henry Clay, and if you go to White Hall State Historic Site just north of Richmond off I-75 you can see his home. His son, Cassius Clay, became far better known, especially around the American Civil War as Abe Lincoln's Ambassador to Russia and he was one of the founders of Berea College. His life story is indeed worth reading if you ever get the time. The hospital in Richmond, the Pattie A. Clay Hospital, was in fact named after Cassius' daughter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clay County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesus is just as real tonight as he was on the ... Mar 14 Nothing without him 1
Women who see married men (Nov '09) Mar 11 Lover 10
who is doing who Mar 10 Oxy 4
chris mills on redbird sells pot (Jun '13) Mar 2 Be carefull 8
Tina Grubbs Napier racist against children Feb 24 Easy now 3
Fire 2000$ (Mar '16) Feb 22 mr aids 2
Beagles Feb '18 Joe Roberts 1