Region 8 Road Trip: Corning economy on the way back up

Jun 30, 2011 Full story: KAIT-TV Jonesboro 14

CORNING, AR The past ten years have brought some up's and down's for residents in Corning.

Read more

United States

#1 Jul 2, 2011
oh yea those minimun wage jobs are really going to help the community..........WHAT WE NEED IS A FACTORY OR SOMETHING THAT WILL PAY A DECENT WAGE..minimum wage might be ok for school kids...but you cant suppport a family on minimum wage
indeed

Cherokee Village, AR

#2 Jul 3, 2011
You are so right! The way they made it sound Corning is really booming! Wonder where they got their info??!!!!!!
Volunteer

Arlington, TX

#3 Jul 3, 2011
I don't think that they said it was booming. I think that they said that it was really bad when the three factories closed five to ten years ago. It was a little better one to five years ago due to not losing as many jobs even during a recession. And that it is hopefully getting better in the next one to five years with companies actually looking at the properties and the recession ending. Oil and gas are the keys now.
old timer

Jackson, MS

#4 Jul 3, 2011
indeed wrote:
You are so right! The way they made it sound Corning is really booming! Wonder where they got their info??!!!!!!
what do you want them to say? corning is down and won't get up? or corning got down and is getting up? i know that about 15-20 people take time out of their day jobs to do a lot with a little for our town. they have it ready. if nothing happens it won't be lack of effort.
indeed

Cherokee Village, AR

#5 Jul 4, 2011
To hear the city officials tell it there is always someone looking at properties here and nothing ever happens! Face it, not much has happened around here in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!1
WHATEVER

Salem, AR

#6 Jul 4, 2011
AT LEAST THE TOWN IS BEING LOOKED AT NOW. FOR YEARS THEY WERE KEPT OUT. THEY HAVE BEEN CLOSE SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE EVEN COME IN SECOND SOME. NOW SECOND MAY BE HE SAME AS LAST IN SMALL MINDS. BUT IT SHOWS THAT SOMETHING IS BEING RIGHT NOW. AT LEAST THEY ARE IN THE GAME AND NOT ON THE SIDELINES.
bell

Cherokee Village, AR

#7 Jul 4, 2011
WHATEVER wrote:
AT LEAST THE TOWN IS BEING LOOKED AT NOW. FOR YEARS THEY WERE KEPT OUT. THEY HAVE BEEN CLOSE SEVERAL TIMES AND HAVE EVEN COME IN SECOND SOME. NOW SECOND MAY BE HE SAME AS LAST IN SMALL MINDS. BUT IT SHOWS THAT SOMETHING IS BEING RIGHT NOW. AT LEAST THEY ARE IN THE GAME AND NOT ON THE SIDELINES.
WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!! I'll believe it when I see it!
another volunteer

Hardy, AR

#8 Jul 4, 2011
Why don't you ask the state chamber or the state economic or even the governor's office? They would be impartial and objective and accurate about information and what goes on. It took a long time to get in this situation and it will take a long time to get out. I volunteer and serve my community. What do you do? Complain on topix!
Really

Russellville, AR

#9 Jul 5, 2011
No, what the Mayor said is that the are not looking into have a factory come in they want smaller employers that way if they go out of business it wont put so many people out of a job. Which is crazy becaue we only have one factory that lays off constantly and if they ever go out this town is gone, we need factories to keep this town going.
Boarder

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Jul 5, 2011
Really wrote:
No, what the Mayor said is that the are not looking into have a factory come in they want smaller employers that way if they go out of business it wont put so many people out of a job. Which is crazy becaue we only have one factory that lays off constantly and if they ever go out this town is gone, we need factories to keep this town going.
Then it's a good thing that he and jv and steve have little to do with it. They would be brought in on the backside of any deal. I am sure that they are working on any jobs large or small. It has been a tough time in the country lately but a lot longer for Corning.
good

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Jul 5, 2011
one of the many problems that has to be overcome is the fact that the old former leaders kept new things out. most of them are gone now and one left is no longer in the loop and mad. I am glad that they are at least trying new and different things. hopefully the days of rich old men telling elected people what to do are over. and even if it's not other people have a say so too.
omg

Alvin, TX

#12 Jul 5, 2011
why would they only want small time business here? that is soooo stupid...do they not realise that a minimum wage job is not for a person with a family? i guess since they have jobs that pay them grossly more than they are worth,they can look down on all others.
omg

Alvin, TX

#13 Jul 5, 2011
Really wrote:
well if you are talking about darling they wont be around much longer.go to the darling corporate site and read it...then come back and tell me what you think.
honestly

Canton, TX

#14 Aug 7, 2011
In stead of complaining why don't you do something to change corning I know what you are thinking your not the mayor or counsel well guess what you have the same option to run for office as they do so stop complaining and start backing we might see something done!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clay County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 arrested in armed robbery, details limited at... Mar 23 Real Talk 8
News 3 arrested after police search Piggott home Mar 9 Mr Garrison 7
News Sheriff's office searching for robbery suspect Jan '15 Defense Lawyer 1
Searching for Chadwick family members (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dotty Pringle-Hay... 1
social service department (Oct '12) Oct '12 CONCERNED 1
this topix must have died, no posts since August (Sep '12) Sep '12 GRIM REAPER 1
Clay County Chainsaw Massacar (Aug '12) Aug '12 ABIHSOT 1
More from around the web