World War II: Soldiers' letters retol...

World War II: Soldiers' letters retold by Chesterfield County stude...

There are 4 comments on the WTVR story from May 26, 2010, titled World War II: Soldiers' letters retold by Chesterfield County stude.... In it, WTVR reports that:

It Took a War is a website loaded with letters written by soldiers from World War II.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

Common Sense

Richmond, VA

#1 May 26, 2010
Kudos to you Mr. Treisler. Thank you for actually teaching something. In speaking with my mother it was a shock to learn that she had been taught real history and even civic's in high school. That most certainly was not the case for me. Much to my embarrasment I knew almost nothing of this great country's history, do not get me wrong what I was taught I absorbed like a sponge. But when I became an adult and started listening to people from the greatest generation, I felt like there was so much more I should have known. Thank you again for being a real teacher.
Mary

Smithfield, VA

#2 May 27, 2010
My father was a veteran of World War 11, and he did get to come home from the war and I was born 7 years later, I never knew he got 5 bronz stars in the war till after he died in 1993. He was my hero!
Robin

Richmond, VA

#3 May 28, 2010
Thank you, WTVR, for bringing this story to us.

Thank you, Mr. Treisler, for being the kind of teacher that we need so desperately these days. Our history is being lost; if you can share it and bring it to life for your students, you've done a great thing!

Thank you, students, for all your work on this project -- honoring the memory of those who served this country so well. They'd be very proud of you.

I'll be spreading the word about your excellent website!
Cathy

Heathsville, VA

#4 May 31, 2010
I think what this teacher is doing, is WONDERFUL. THANK YOU, Jim Treisler. Anything that makes students more appreciative of what our soldiers have gone through during war is a good thing and the website they have created is a GREAT idea. I wish someone would do the same thing for the Vietnam War. My husband is still 100% disabled from that war.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what was the colors called today for chesterfie... (Jan '16) Jan '16 tom12341234 1
News Suspect in 2008 slaying captured (Jan '12) Dec '15 King Braxton 11
News New Kent woman guilty in loan scam (Sep '11) Jan '15 Julia65 10
News Citizens fight back against criminal robbing dr... (May '12) Dec '14 NYC2VA 9
News Business coaching can make firms and lives better (Jul '12) Dec '14 Gary Puntman 3
News Celebration and fears of a end timesa after sam... (Oct '14) Oct '14 tha Professor 5
News Confederate flag stirs patriotic Va. retort (Sep '13) Aug '14 VN Vet 38
More from around the web