New Richmond ballpark not likely unti...

New Richmond ballpark not likely until 2015

There are 13 comments on the Richmond Times-Dispatch story from Aug 14, 2011, titled New Richmond ballpark not likely until 2015. In it, Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that:

The Richmond Flying Squirrels are not likely to have a new home stadium until 2015, as local government leaders look for room in their budgets to pay for a $50 million ballpark next to The Diamond.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#1 Aug 15, 2011
Just where "next to the Diamond" will they build it?

Over the Ash Center?
On the existing track and field stadium?
Maybe on the City Maintenance facility?

Best idea is down off 288 mat the Powhite Extension.

Plenty of land, no access problems and room for parking.

The fans would also save money by not having to pay the City Food Rape Tax.
Real Change

Richmond, VA

#2 Aug 16, 2011
yes. build it where white flight hasnt occurred. Also, lets not use taxpayer money to build a minor league baseball stadium.
Glen Allen

United States

#3 Aug 16, 2011
I believe the current plan is to construct the park where the City Fleet Maintenance Shop is currently next door to the Diamond on Avenue of Champions. The buildings currently located there would be torn down, and the services moved elsewhere. I think the Mayor has said he was planning to outsource the fleet maintenance. I don't know what the other buildings there are for, but they are all pretty dumpy looking.

Midlothian, VA

#4 Aug 16, 2011
Glen Allen wrote:
I believe the current plan is to construct the park where the City Fleet Maintenance Shop is currently next door to the Diamond on Avenue of Champions. The buildings currently located there would be torn down, and the services moved elsewhere. I think the Mayor has said he was planning to outsource the fleet maintenance. I don't know what the other buildings there are for, but they are all pretty dumpy looking.
Dandy Doug Wilder already outsourced fleet maintenance and laid off most of those employees. They were just leasing the facility from the city.

Maybe if they build the new stadium in an area that you didn't have to worry about getting robbed or shot they could get more than 4000 people to go to a game.

Parking and security are the 2 big problems at that location.

Midlothian, VA

#5 Aug 16, 2011
Another of Dandy Doug's brilliant ideas was to trade the Coliseum to the state for the ABC Warehouse.

Problem with that is that the ABC had just completed a $12 million upgrade and Dandy Doug was only offering $6 million in trade.

No wonder the Slave Museum failed with that moron in charge.
Real Change

Richmond, VA

#6 Aug 16, 2011
va_tazdad wrote:
Another of Dandy Doug's brilliant ideas was to trade the Coliseum to the state for the ABC Warehouse.
Problem with that is that the ABC had just completed a $12 million upgrade and Dandy Doug was only offering $6 million in trade.
No wonder the Slave Museum failed with that moron in charge.
I take it you didn't like Mr. Wider? lol L. douglas wider. He was a thief if i ever saw one. Move the "minor" league ballpark out of the city towards the people that spend money and attendance will rise.

Midlothian, VA

#7 Aug 16, 2011
Real Change wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you didn't like Mr. Wider? lol L. douglas wider. He was a thief if i ever saw one. Move the "minor" league ballpark out of the city towards the people that spend money and attendance will rise.
Correct! Dandy Doug was the idiot behind selling the ABC. He tried when he was governor but got caught in a shady deal trying to buy 10 of the stores.

Dandy Doug has NEVER done anything that didn't make him money.

In the last election, he didn't back Cree Deeds and all of a sudden was appointed head of the idiot council that recommended selling the ABC again to McDonnell.

He was, is, and always will be a con man that cannot be trusted.
hammer time

Dallas, GA

#8 Aug 16, 2011
here you crackas go again, always slamming black leadership. most if not all of you do not live in the city, so, my thought is for you evil turds to shut up and worry about your county criminals.

Since: Jul 10

Glen Allen, VA

#9 Aug 16, 2011
hammer time wrote:
here you crackas go again, always slamming black leadership. most if not all of you do not live in the city, so, my thought is for you evil turds to shut up and worry about your county criminals.
Black Leadership??? Where??????????
Real Change

Richmond, VA

#10 Aug 17, 2011
don't worry. king obama will get it straight! You know, he know! I hope we vote that thief out also.$1.1 million tour bus that we have to pay for since he is running for reelection. This country has gone to sh*T.
GI Joe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#11 Aug 17, 2011
Real Change wrote:
don't worry. king obama will get it straight! You know, he know! I hope we vote that thief out also.$1.1 million tour bus that we have to pay for since he is running for reelection. This country has gone to sh*T.
I thought the Secret Service ordered the new bus. And doesn't the republican nominee get a new bus too? It's not like when Obama gets voted out he's going to keep the thing.

You sound like derp.

Since: Jul 10

Glen Allen, VA

#12 Aug 17, 2011
Has any one seen Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson lately?? With all the flash mobs and curfew stuff going on where are they??

This is a prime example of what these two are all about!
Real Change

Richmond, VA

#13 Aug 17, 2011
GI Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the Secret Service ordered the new bus. And doesn't the republican nominee get a new bus too? It's not like when Obama gets voted out he's going to keep the thing.
You sound like derp.
You are correct. I made a short statement. The republican thief will get a bus on my dime also. If you want to campaign then pay for your own bus. I am a former republican. I am an independent. Both parties serve their own parties instead of serving the will of the people. The point of a representative democracy is for "our representatives" to vote as the majority of the people prefer since we don't all have time to vote on every subject. Both parties are self serving and have stopped performing the will of the people. I for one am sick with the government spending money in wasteful ways like donating to ballparks for future tax revenue and spending money on campaign buses and giving $360 million to the taliban, and i think it was $75 million to aids research in africa.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greenfield Community Association building broke... Oct '17 trippy 1
Chesterfield County to lose Federal funding (Nov '16) Nov '16 Law Abiding Taxpayer 1
Chesterfield County Mugshots and Criminal Arres... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Harper 2
what was the colors called today for chesterfie... (Jan '16) Jan '16 tom12341234 1
News Suspect in 2008 slaying captured (Jan '12) Dec '15 Danielle 6
News New Kent woman guilty in loan scam (Sep '11) Jan '15 Julia65 10
News Citizens fight back against criminal robbing dr... (May '12) Dec '14 NYC2VA 9
More from around the web