Proposal to Close Chester Middle Scho...

Proposal to Close Chester Middle School - wtvr

There are 21 comments on the WTVR story from Dec 8, 2009, titled Proposal to Close Chester Middle School - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

Tough economic times are calling for Chesterfield County to utilize resources wisely.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
M-dot

Richmond, VA

#1 Dec 8, 2009
I go here and it sucks man i mean i'd rather go to Chester Middle than Carver or Davis. Add another choice for students like Salem Church Middle.
Chester - Virginia

Johnson City, TN

#2 Dec 8, 2009
Save $40 Million a year? Any estimates on the money required for the increase in the Transportation part of the School Budget that's now needed to bus these kids to Carver and Davis?
Dollars and Sense

Paducah, KY

#3 Dec 8, 2009
Did you all at least read the letter sent home today? It is about long term solutions. The building will not be vaporized! The building would be used for the whole 9th grade(the most vulnerable public) We have to make do for now. This looks like a viable solution. We can not keep using the credit card.It will not be reinventing the wheel but it will take moral courage to do what is right for the student body. Bring it on!
Jennifer Noll

Washington, DC

#4 Dec 8, 2009
Learn the top 10 christmas gifts of 2009 at http://www.top10christmasgifts09.com
raj

United States

#5 Dec 9, 2009
i guess these parents need to teach there children life is not all about them . its good to learn these lessons young . millions of children are bussed much further . these parent are stingy and would sacrifice everybody else in the county to keep there kids in chester . grow up .
this will give their kids more friends . they will adapt if the parents explain why this has to happen . what a bunch of spoiled brats these parents are .
JB Chester Supporter

Chandler, AZ

#6 Dec 9, 2009
This school happens to be one of the best schools in the county. Kids test scores and SOL scores are higher than other schools as well as their grades.Teachers are motivitated which in turn makes the kids want to learn and be at achool. It is not a matter of being bussed somewhere else.It is a matter of a good education and that Raj is a grown up decision. A decision made my caring, loving parents not spoiled parents as you were so quick to point out.
Rich

Glen Allen, VA

#7 Dec 9, 2009
raj wrote:
i guess these parents need to teach there children life is not all about them . its good to learn these lessons young . millions of children are bussed much further . these parent are stingy and would sacrifice everybody else in the county to keep there kids in chester . grow up .
this will give their kids more friends . they will adapt if the parents explain why this has to happen . what a bunch of spoiled brats these parents are .
Raj, Chester is a close community. There are people living here who grew up here, attended these same schools, even had THE SAME TEACHERS as their children. We are not spoiled brats. I am sorry for you if you have not had the opportunity to live in a community of friends.
A chesterfield parent

Chester, VA

#8 Dec 9, 2009
My children have been in the Chesterfield School system for years. Every time they moved up to a different level they had to go to different schools( from Gates Elem. to Baily Bridge Middle to Matoaca H.S.) My point is, most of their Gates friends went to Salem middle and most of their Baily Bridge friends went to Manchester High. They ended up with friends all over the county. It's an adjustment that may not be easy at first, but over the years your kids will see that its not so bad after all. So, I do feel your pain- but trust it will get better.
td parent

Glen Allen, VA

#9 Dec 9, 2009
i am a parent of 2 Thomas Dale students and the problem is the overcrowding of Thomas Dale. My son who is a 9th grader has his classroom for PE in a Thomas Dale jantior closet. So, i thinks this is a good solution unless your chester middle school students want to end up with a jantior closet for a classroom when they go to Thomas Dale.
Tai

Dallas, GA

#10 Dec 9, 2009
I'm going to post what I put up for a similiar discussion:

"As a Thomas Dale student, I feel as if I should add my input in this. Let me start buy saying that I am all for the plan. It is really annoying when walking through the hallways during class change and you can barely move. Sometimes, it's worth taking the long way and being late to class than to take a shorter route that is more crowded. I wouldn't mind moving a few 9th graders to another school that barely holds much to schools more able to have more students. Thomas Dale was made to hold about 1800 students. This year, we have 2500 students. You do the math. Maybe we should add the numbers from other schools. Chester Middle was made to hold about 900 students. It currently holds 700. Davis Middle was made to hold 1300 students and it only has 800 students. Carver was also made to hold 1300 students, but only having 900. These middle schools aren't too crowded and with the plan, should only be 92% capacity for Davis and 89% capacity for Carver.

With me only being a 10th grader, you probably don't care what I have to say, but maybe these numbers may allow you to reconsider just a bit how helpful this could be for current and future Thomas Dale students

-Tai"
Chester

Richmond, VA

#11 Dec 9, 2009
I am a recent college grad who went to Chester Middle and Thomas Dale. The experiences that I had at Chester and even Thomas Dale, I don't think I would have recieved at other schools in the county. I have made friends who went to all different schools around Chesterfield and none of them are as caring or compassionate about their community as people who grew up in Chester are.

Kids DO care about what school they attend. I had many friends who were at Chester and Thomas Dale with me that were on waivers to be there, not because there parents made them, but becuase they wanted to come to those schools.

Chester Middle is a staple in the community of Chester and I don't think you understand that unless you are a part of it.

Parents who are fighting this are teaching there kids an AMAZING life lesson by sticking up for a school and a community that they belive in.
Advocate

Highland Springs, VA

#12 Dec 9, 2009
The school board needs to review the salaries of its school board members, superintendent, and the amount of funds that are budgeted for paying law firms required to defend the district when they face special education violations. I am sure that the public would be shocked. I am also certain that the money saved would stop the "perfect economic storm" that has been created so that our children will not suffer.
Chester resident

Johnson City, TN

#13 Dec 9, 2009
Just a thought ....RE-evaluate the feeder school districts. Closley examing the boundary of the current feeder school districts and re-evaluate the cost of transporting students from Chester to Davis or Carver. It was done when Lloyd Bird was built and neighbors who once atteneded the same elementary and middle schools attended different high schools and lived a streets width apart. Re- evaluate the Capitol expenditures for 2013 and make it a priority to build a new high school toward the eastern part of the county. Limit the Drama and Arts Specialty Center to those in TD's district.
Brian in Chester

Johnson City, TN

#14 Dec 9, 2009
Mr. Trammell say no more than "the decision will save taxpayer's $40 million dollars. Will that savings come from the additional money needed to hire drivers and buy buses to cover the transfer distances for transporting those rising 7th and 8th graders to Davis or Carver. Or will saving the $40 million come from relocating the current administration and teaching staff to either school. No wait maybe it will be in the cost of teacher re-certification or the hirning of some additional administration and teaching staff. Better yet, We will save the 40 million from simply asssessing the current feeder school boundaries and ignore that Davis and Carver are in a lesser populated area currently. Well until the soldiers from Ft. Lee decide to reside in the areas because the other locatlites are readily able to provide housing and public services for those soldiers and their families. Bottom line, Capitol expenditures for 2016 needs to scrapped and a new high school needs to be built.
BRJ

Glen Allen, VA

#15 Dec 10, 2009
The parents that are griping about the switch will be the same parents griping about the overcrowding at TDHS when their precious angels get there. Parents, grow up and see the bigger, long range picture!
fed_up_with_this

United States

#16 Dec 10, 2009
The parents in CMS area need to stop this whining! I am all for advocating for your kids, but at some point you have to understand you may not disrupt the entire rest of the southern end of the county to maintain your little piece of heaven. You seem to have no regard for what all of your facebook suggestions will do to the other students in the area-- I for one do not think keeping the students at their middle schools for another year is a good idea -- for so many reasons I can't even begin to list them. I'm sorry your kids can't have the same teachers you did, I'm sorry they will have to learn to interact in a diverse population, I'm sorry they will have to learn that things do not always go your way! I'm most sorry that you all think that your needs and wants out weigh the needs of all the students on this end of the county. You want your cake and eat it too! You can't expect the county to bow to that. Some have suggested that your specialty center be open to only TD-zoned students, but I assume you will expect the other schools to welcome your students with open arms! Listen up CMS community -- it is not all about you! While I am on the soapbox I wonder if you all undestand how hurtful some of the comments on your facebook page are to the students who attend Carver and Community High-- how dare you judge them. They are just kids too.
ChesterfieldObse rver

Midlothian, VA

#17 Dec 10, 2009
Not up to date but as of January 1, 2009

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/styles/CC...
Rich

Glen Allen, VA

#18 Dec 11, 2009
BRJ wrote:
The parents that are griping about the switch will be the same parents griping about the overcrowding at TDHS when their precious angels get there. Parents, grow up and see the bigger, long range picture!
My oldest precious angel already attends TDHS. The crowding is bad, I agree. But my youngest precious angel attends CMS, and wants to attend 8th grade there as well. There are many different options that have not been explored, because CMS is the smallest middle school in the county, and our Supervisor and School Board rep don't give a darn about what we as parents want. Or at least they won't until they come up for reelection.
Tai

Dallas, GA

#19 Dec 11, 2009
Chester resident wrote:
Just a thought ....RE-evaluate the feeder school districts. Closley examing the boundary of the current feeder school districts and re-evaluate the cost of transporting students from Chester to Davis or Carver. It was done when Lloyd Bird was built and neighbors who once atteneded the same elementary and middle schools attended different high schools and lived a streets width apart. Re- evaluate the Capitol expenditures for 2013 and make it a priority to build a new high school toward the eastern part of the county. Limit the Drama and Arts Specialty Center to those in TD's district.
Limiting The Arts to Thomas Dale district students wouldn't be fair to certain students. Some teens want to do careers involving the arts and limiting them is just punishing them from doing something they love.
Jill

Midlothian, VA

#20 Dec 18, 2009
Why can't they just add the 9th graders to the other three current grades. No law says they can't....and that is just one of the many hundreds of better ideas the county isn't doing....Who is making what money off this idea?????

They could send those students to the new middle school Davis.
They could rezone those students back to their home school like Bird...or stop the over the top construction up and down the JDHwy.That will make the crowding problem worse...

This has been a problem since I went to Dale and that has been over 20 years ago...and if they haven't fixed it yet they don't plan on it....because someone is making some money somewhere...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Greenfield Community Association building broke... Oct '17 trippy 1
Chesterfield County to lose Federal funding (Nov '16) Nov '16 Law Abiding Taxpayer 1
Chesterfield County Mugshots and Criminal Arres... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Harper 2
what was the colors called today for chesterfie... (Jan '16) Jan '16 tom12341234 1
News Suspect in 2008 slaying captured (Jan '12) Dec '15 Danielle 6
News New Kent woman guilty in loan scam (Sep '11) Jan '15 Julia65 10
News Citizens fight back against criminal robbing dr... (May '12) Dec '14 NYC2VA 9
More from around the web