Recycling Fee Coming To Chesterfield County - wtvr

Full story: WTVR 76
If you live in Chesterfield County, you can expect to fork over a little bit of extra cash next month. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mrs T

Chesterfield, VA

#1 Jun 19, 2010
Now you have to pay to take care of the planet?! I wonder how many will just start throwing everything out again. Sad to see a charge, but it won't stop me from recycling.
Mort

Mechanicsville, VA

#2 Jun 20, 2010
Mrs T wrote:
Now you have to pay to take care of the planet?! I wonder how many will just start throwing everything out again. Sad to see a charge, but it won't stop me from recycling.
leave it to the pols to take something good and make it bad.
Mr B

Colonial Heights, VA

#3 Jun 20, 2010
I will opt out once I find out how...
Ms B

Midlothian, VA

#4 Jun 20, 2010
I will opt out also. I'm on a fixed income and I'm already stretched beyond my limit. The last thing I need is another hand in my pocket.
goss

United States

#5 Jun 20, 2010
Mrs T wrote:
Now you have to pay to take care of the planet?! I wonder how many will just start throwing everything out again. Sad to see a charge, but it won't stop me from recycling.
"There are no free lunches."
history buff

Richmond, VA

#6 Jun 20, 2010
goss wrote:
<quoted text>
"There are no free lunches."
True,but this will be a counterproductive fee that will likely kill recycling in the county.People that have tried to do a good thing will now have to decide if they're willing to continue recycling as a personal expense or not.It's a really dumb,desperate move.My guess is that most will opt out,and even more recyclable material will end up going to the landfill.
Brian

Midlothian, VA

#7 Jun 20, 2010
It should be explained that this is a yearly fee, which breaks down to about a dollar a pick up or two bucks a month. The bill is twice a year. WTVR should provide a link to Chesterfield County's web site exlpaining their decision to change their policy.
JOHN and LISA PATTERSON

Richmond, VA

#8 Jun 20, 2010
WE REFUSE TO PAY-WHAT IS CHESTERFIELD DOING WITH OUR MONEY?? THEY'RE STILL CHARGING US $20.00 PER VEHICLE FOR "STICKER" THAT WE NO LONGER RECEIVE,OUR TAXES ARE HIGHER THAN MOST COUNTIES & WE DON'T HAVE "FREE" LANDFILLS LIKE OTHERS. WE MAY HAVE MORE FOLKS IN OUR COUNTY SO IN REALITY WE SHOULD HAVE MORE MONEY THAN OTHER COUNTIES. SO HELP ME UNDERSTAND "WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS...FEEDING YOUR "FAT CATS"? WHY SHOULD WE NOW HAVE TO PAY YOU WHEN WE THE PEOPLE ARE TAKING THE TIME TO SORT THROUGH OUR TRASH?? SHOULDN'T YOU BE PAYING US??
Mort

Mechanicsville, VA

#10 Jun 20, 2010
JOHN and LISA PATTERSON wrote:
WE REFUSE TO PAY-WHAT IS CHESTERFIELD DOING WITH OUR MONEY?? THEY'RE STILL CHARGING US $20.00 PER VEHICLE FOR "STICKER" THAT WE NO LONGER RECEIVE,OUR TAXES ARE HIGHER THAN MOST COUNTIES & WE DON'T HAVE "FREE" LANDFILLS LIKE OTHERS. WE MAY HAVE MORE FOLKS IN OUR COUNTY SO IN REALITY WE SHOULD HAVE MORE MONEY THAN OTHER COUNTIES. SO HELP ME UNDERSTAND "WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS...FEEDING YOUR "FAT CATS"? WHY SHOULD WE NOW HAVE TO PAY YOU WHEN WE THE PEOPLE ARE TAKING THE TIME TO SORT THROUGH OUR TRASH?? SHOULDN'T YOU BE PAYING US??
very good point.
Mad in Cfield

Midlothian, VA

#11 Jun 20, 2010
There is a budget shortfall but our tax money can go to a private entity, SportsQuest. This move will make Chesterfield residents less likely to recycle. I would rather drive my recycle to a local recycle stop than to give the County $25.
Now I know why people move to Henrico.
Thomas W Harrison

Midlothian, VA

#12 Jun 20, 2010
the harrison family does not want nor use recycling bens. we do not participate in this program. if you have our name on your list for pickup please remove it. 11918 gardengate road
midlothian, va 23112

and we 'don't" want any extra charges to our statement.

Thomas W Harrison
Jim

Richmond, VA

#13 Jun 20, 2010
Beging this week everything goes into the trash container!
tom20

Midlothian, VA

#14 Jun 20, 2010
I've been paying my 25 bucks directly to the two guys picking up my container for years... I guess now, I can drop all my recyclables over at the Harrison's house....
goss

United States

#15 Jun 20, 2010
Thomas W Harrison wrote:
the harrison family does not want nor use recycling bens. we do not participate in this program. if you have our name on your list for pickup please remove it. 11918 gardengate road
midlothian, va 23112
and we 'don't" want any extra charges to our statement.
Thomas W Harrison
ummmm....including your address in a public forum isn't too smart.
Angie

Chesterfield, MO

#16 Jun 20, 2010
In other states they charge you if you DON't recycle, and we are charging if you do???? That is so stupid!! I guess I won't be recycling anymore sigh.:( I can't afford my bills as it is. Let alone another 25$ a month.
Connie

Midlothian, VA

#18 Jun 20, 2010
We're fortunate that we can afford the $25.00 annual fee. I agree that more details should have been provided by WTVR before posting this announcement. If we can prevent more damage to the environment and less plastic in our landfills we support the recycling program. My question: how much trash do Chesterfield residents generate annually by eating at fast food restaurants? Bet you spend lots more than $25.00 too.
Zippy

Richmond, VA

#19 Jun 20, 2010
This news story is poorly written and very misinforming.

1. The fee is $25 a year IT IS NOT A MONTHLY FEE
2. YOU WILL NOT GET A BILL NEXT MONTH
3. The fee is added to your real estate tax bill in 2 installments.$12.50 for the first half and the other $12.50 on the second half of you real estate tax bill.

The cost of having someone come to your house and collect your recycling will be less than $1 a pickup

Please check the COunty's website for more accurate information
MrsT

Chesterfield, VA

#20 Jun 20, 2010
Brian wrote:
It should be explained that this is a yearly fee, which breaks down to about a dollar a pick up or two bucks a month. The bill is twice a year. WTVR should provide a link to Chesterfield County's web site exlpaining their decision to change their policy.
I did not know it was an annual fee vs. a monthly fee. Not that bad, but I feel for the people who are just making it despite working fulltime.
MrsT

Chesterfield, VA

#21 Jun 20, 2010
I guess you could team up with 10 of your neighbors and dump all of the containers in front of one house for pick up. Then each house would pay about .21 cents a month right? Maybe you can just grab the penny out of the pen jar at each place you eat and use it to pay the recycle fee. Ok, I am done.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

#22 Jun 20, 2010
history buff wrote:
<quoted text>
True,but this will be a counterproductive fee that will likely kill recycling in the county.People that have tried to do a good thing will now have to decide if they're willing to continue recycling as a personal expense or not.It's a really dumb,desperate move.My guess is that most will opt out,and even more recyclable material will end up going to the landfill.
Thanks to the tea-party rulers in chesterfield, you people have no voice. Pay up and shut up, you keep voting the same ones back in office. Your insanity is this, "voting the same ones back in office and expect a different result. DUMMIES!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff's Race Nov '14 JKKopfman 2
Brooks wins sheriff race Nov '14 Ginger Morton 3
Kershaw woman 'brutally murdered' with baseball... (Dec '11) Nov '14 Katykathykari 28
Chesterfield Boy Injured in Day Care Fire Dies Oct '14 Ginger Morton 1
Chesterfield County Sheriff's Responses to Mino... Jul '14 Steve 2
Sales tax proposal inches closer7:36 am | 0 Jul '14 Steve 1
Folks in Chesterfield send prayers for Katie (Jun '11) Nov '13 Truth seeker 2
More from around the web