New Shopping Center in Oxford, PA
joe

Oxford, PA

#146 Oct 13, 2010
looks like there nocking down the barn next to the house near the school our maybe it feel down anyone else notice this
CHANGE is needed

Street, MD

#147 Oct 13, 2010
Yes, The corn is cut down too! There are starting it, it;s a matter of WHEN!!!!!!!!!
They kept telling me Aug, then Sept, now it's Nov. when WALMART is getting there things dropped off. I think it's called flats or something.
We need the shopping center DESPERATELY!
I'm sick of going to Parksburg or Del.
Other places get stores and shopping centers built Soooooooo quickly, and it's taking FOREVER FOR US TO GET A SHOPPING CENTER!!!!!!!!!!
Maryann

Nottingham, PA

#148 Oct 13, 2010
The Chester County Press said the owners make settlement the end of month. I doubt we'll have Walmart this year though.
stunted

Philadelphia, PA

#149 Oct 15, 2010
You will have your Walmart in 2011.

Walmart is the US largest importer of Chinese goods, so you can watch all your hard earned $$ go to China. Then you can all sit around and complain that there is no middle class and the families at the bottom get poorer and have less and less.

Let's all hope that our community leaders have studied the traffic through town and the security needs. Just ask anyone from Parkesburg how the Walmart pulled police resources from town and what the Rte 10 traffic has done to their town.

On another note, the downtown is looking good. We just need an anchor and then the shops, boutiques, cafe's, and galleries will flourish. Finally there is a parking study which should lead to some convienent lots put in and whoever gets all those grants deserves a huge pat on the back. If the folks in the houseing developements have things to do and see downtown, then they will stay around here on Fri, Sat. Sun.

There is hope.
Maryann

Nottingham, PA

#150 Oct 15, 2010
Can you name a store that sells most or all American goods? Read your labels,until they do, it's all we have.
fred

Dillwyn, VA

#151 Oct 21, 2010
Stunted, I'm with ya, but no one wants to hear what you have to say!
They only want their beloved WalMart. Impact on the community, traffic, local economy, etc isn't important. They will gain some small level of convenience and that's what counts.

Classic line on purchasing American made goods Maryann, just accept what you have and do nothing about it ... apathy is your best bet, it's easy.

As for the "community leaders", they did a traffic study in about 2000, and the result was a plan with a decelerate/turn-in lane that has room for 3 cars. It's not based off current and future traffic patterns and will be a traffic nightmare! When asked if a new study is needed and more turn-in space should be provided since there is greater volume now than in 2000, "community leaders" said let's see the problem first - so much for proper planning.
gophils33

Rising Sun, MD

#152 Oct 21, 2010
so fred, what do you do about the problem of purchasing american goods? obviously you don't "accept it" and you would never be apathetic to the problem, so what do you do?
Tim

United States

#153 Oct 21, 2010
Has the Wal-mart been built already and shut down all these stores that were downtown? Last time I checked there really isn't anything downtown to begin with.
Maryann

Nottingham, PA

#154 Oct 21, 2010
Hey Fred, I am doing what I can, I vote Democrat. What do you do, walk around nude?
samuel

United States

#155 Dec 14, 2010
So is this place still gonna be up by next November? Cause it sure doesn't look like it.
joe

Oxford, PA

#156 Dec 15, 2010
you got a better chance seeing pigs fly ant getting mu hopes up
CHANGE

Street, MD

#157 Dec 21, 2010
Not sure why anyone from Oxford is concerned about the Wal*Mart anyway.... It will only do one thing for us here.

"Make Shopping Closer and Easier"

The tax brake effect on our properties was the main concern of most residents, Not the shopping as much. We know now that it is in the Upper Oxford area tax zone so whatever.... If it gets built then Okay, If not then we will just do what we have been doing. Nothing! If we want our taxes to go down ALL OF US NEED TO STAND TOGETHER AT THE TOWN MEETINGS AND SAY "NO"!!!!
Our Mortgages are going up because we need to re-assess...

Tell Oxford NO to tax increases and help stabilize our housing. Then we can worry about the local businesses to come.
newpost

Oxford, PA

#158 Dec 21, 2010
Actually Walmart will be in Lower Oxford Township, that being beside the point it will help the residents of Oxford,LOT,UOT,Nottingham and any other municipality that is covered by Oxford School District. The majority of your real-estate taxes go to the schools, would you rather see a bunch of houses go in there? That would only be a burden on the district and raise your taxes more. A household costs more than what the taxes it brings in. The only development that helps lower taxes is commercial not residential
CHANGE wrote:
Not sure why anyone from Oxford is concerned about the Wal*Mart anyway.... It will only do one thing for us here.
"Make Shopping Closer and Easier"
The tax brake effect on our properties was the main concern of most residents, Not the shopping as much. We know now that it is in the Upper Oxford area tax zone so whatever.... If it gets built then Okay, If not then we will just do what we have been doing. Nothing! If we want our taxes to go down ALL OF US NEED TO STAND TOGETHER AT THE TOWN MEETINGS AND SAY "NO"!!!!
Our Mortgages are going up because we need to re-assess...
Tell Oxford NO to tax increases and help stabilize our housing. Then we can worry about the local businesses to come.
John

Oxford, PA

#159 Jan 7, 2011
I have lived in Oxford all of my life. It used to be a nice place to live. Now you have about a dozen pizza places, a dozen banks, 4 or 5 coffee shops but no place to buy actual CLOTHES. Do any of you actually realize how many people (including me) leave the state and spend their money in other states because you can't buy anything here. WE NEED A WALMART. WE NEED A HOME DEPOT. WE NEED AN AUTO PARTS STORE THAT IS OPEN PAST 5PM. We let all these people move into this area from the city, just to turn around and let them spend their money somewhere else. WAKE UP!!!
Josette

Bethel, PA

#160 Feb 4, 2011
UPDATE on WalMart?
Mark

Adelphia, NJ

#161 Feb 4, 2011
I moved into Oxford in 1999, and I still have never visited any of the stores in town. I work till 5 in wilmington, all the local stores are unless to me because they are all closed by the time I roll back into town. personally, I can't wait till there is some competition in town so I don't have burn a day to do any shopping at all.

Also our chamber of commerce is holding Oxford back. I tried to open a computer repair shop in town, and they told me there was no need for that kind of business.

A friend of mine wanted to just look at the building before the tractor supply store went in, he wanted to put a movie theater in there, the owner would not even show him the building because he did not want a movie theater there.

I don't feel bad for taking my business else where. As far as I can tell, they don't want working people to shop in oxford at all.
John wrote:
I have lived in Oxford all of my life. It used to be a nice place to live. Now you have about a dozen pizza places, a dozen banks, 4 or 5 coffee shops but no place to buy actual CLOTHES. Do any of you actually realize how many people (including me) leave the state and spend their money in other states because you can't buy anything here. WE NEED A WALMART. WE NEED A HOME DEPOT. WE NEED AN AUTO PARTS STORE THAT IS OPEN PAST 5PM. We let all these people move into this area from the city, just to turn around and let them spend their money somewhere else. WAKE UP!!!
No Longer Oxfordian

Pittsburgh, PA

#162 Feb 9, 2011
LOL @ Mark - they don't need a computer repair business because Oxford is still using feather quill pens and printing presses. What are those fancy thinkin' boxes anyway?:) Oxford itself is doomed to be eternally rural with new housing developments going up everywhere. Unfortunately, with all the new houses and townhouses there will be plenty of empty real estate causing the market to continue to fall in that area. It's a shame, the place has a lot of potential. There's no reason after some time it could have charm such as Media or West Chester, perhaps on a smaller scale? That's what I saw some 8 years ago when I moved there, then realizing nothing was happening I moved out again in 2009.
Maryann

Nottingham, PA

#163 Feb 9, 2011
No Longer Oxfordian is so right, Oxford is so afraid of change, maybe once the old farts that "Own the town" die out and some new blood gets in things will change. I moved to Nottingham in 72, and it was better then. It had a small Dept. store and other clothing stores, a five and dime, furniture stores, and even a Movie theater, which could have been fixed up. My son had a business in Media, and it is such a nice town, with upscale restaurants, as well as cheaper fare. They even have a theater where they put on plays and such. Oxford is so depressing, and it's losing all the money spent in De. and Md. I hope they wake up soon.
Sam Knowingly

United States

#164 Mar 12, 2011
Oxford Commons is going to start March 21 2011. It will be opened in Early 2012.
gophils33

Conowingo, MD

#165 Mar 12, 2011
Sam Knowingly wrote:
Oxford Commons is going to start March 21 2011. It will be opened in Early 2012.
can i ask how you know this? i've heard so much stuff that doesn't turn out to be true, i'm curious if this is reliable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chester County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
let's stop the bullying in the schools (Jan '13) Sep '17 Troys Girl 2
News Chesco Vet Accused of Animal Cruelty (Jul '06) Sep '17 John 245
News Man Suspect in Girlfriend's Murder (Nov '07) Jun '17 Her son 18
Chester County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Re... (Sep '16) May '17 Lion 3
News Pennsylvania: Shelter cats may have avian flu53... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Good Cat Dead Cat 1
vote trump (Nov '16) Nov '16 4years 1
News After 153 years, Berwyn's oldest business to be... (Aug '16) Aug '16 lgspin 1
More from around the web