Reed:'Character assassination' from l...

Reed:'Character assassination' from late tax payment controversy

There are 1 comment on the Press & Sun-Bulletin story from Aug 19, 2013, titled Reed:'Character assassination' from late tax payment controversy. In it, Press & Sun-Bulletin reports that:

Rep. Tom Reed, R-Corning, said new the focus on his sometimes-late property tax payments is part of a smear campaign in the coming 2014 congressional election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Press & Sun-Bulletin.

Tom Taylor

Oneonta, NY

#1 Sep 17, 2013
I'm seeing an ugly smear campaign against Congressman Tom Reed.

First..a story that Reed paid some property taxes late.

Look into details.. and you discover that he PAID the taxes..INCLUDING the late fees due on those taxes!

If he paid the taxes..INCLUDING late fees , where is the crime, special treatment or ethical breach?

THEN a story about how some taxes were mistakenly paid from Reed's campaign funds!

When the mistake was promptly recognized, Reed paid the campaign account back from personal funds!

Again..HOW is a mistake that was quickly rectified, reason for a news story?

Personally, I find the timing and publicity given to this kind of garbage news extremely suspicious and disgusting in their obvious intent.

If these kind of smear stories were designed to distract me from the fact that Reed's opponent, Martha Robertson, presided over a $1,000,000 OVERBUDGET for the Tompkins County legislature renovations, including $110.000 for HER desk... they aren't working!

Reed PAID his own bills..INCLUDING any penalties due!

Robertson frittered away taxpayers' money!

Which do you think any sane taxpayer would find more deplorable?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chemung County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Abandoned baby survives three days in p... Aug '17 iescapedny 1
News Free Bike Helmets Available In Elmira Friday (Jul '15) Jul '15 Ahsol 1
News Elmira Man Sentenced for Sex Crime (Oct '08) Jan '15 albiso hater 19
News Schuyler County man found guilty of federal chi... (Feb '13) Feb '13 pigpen911 1
News Fight the blight: Elmira officials ready to tak... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Rob G 2
News Same-sex marriage should expand the audience fo... (Jul '11) Jul '11 theodora 1
News Some upstate prisons see more suicides (Jan '11) Jun '11 odessa 2
More from around the web