Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cite...

Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cited for stealing school vote signs

There are 90 comments on the Erie Times News story from Feb 15, 2013, titled Weird crime: Ripley, N.Y., woman cited for stealing school vote signs. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

The skinny: Chautauqua County sheriff's deputies said a Ripley, N.Y., woman drew more attention to a contentious school debate by stealing a couple signs from a yard on Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
johnny

Columbus, PA

#1 Feb 18, 2013
the sign said screw the kids i think who put it there must have been a petafile
funny

Canada

#2 Feb 19, 2013
And it said save the teachers vote no
Madame Toussaud

Huntington, NY

#3 Feb 19, 2013
I don't know whether to believe it or not, based on where this happened.
creeper

United States

#4 Feb 21, 2013
Wanda was for the NO vote, doesn't make sense she would steal a sign saying to vote no. Unless she swapped it out from a vote yes sign.
Paris Hilton

Huntington, NY

#5 Feb 22, 2013
creeper wrote:
Wanda was for the NO vote, doesn't make sense she would steal a sign saying to vote no. Unless she swapped it out from a vote yes sign.
What?
ripley resident

Dunkirk, NY

#6 Feb 22, 2013
She did not "steal" the sign. She removed the sign because she and the rest of the vote no group thought people would take it the wrong way. Why would she "steal" a sign saying vote no? That would make no sense.. She was obviously wrongly accused.
Get That Thief

Huntington, NY

#7 Feb 22, 2013
ripley resident wrote:
She did not "steal" the sign. She removed the sign because she and the rest of the vote no group thought people would take it the wrong way. Why would she "steal" a sign saying vote no? That would make no sense.. She was obviously wrongly accused.
Did she take it without permission?
happyripleyres

Dunkirk, NY

#8 Feb 22, 2013
Ripley resident

It was my sign. It was a sarcastic comment about putting the teachers jobs above students needs. Regardless she is old enough to know that taking something that does not belong to you is stealing. She did not buy it it was not on her property. Political freedom of speech is a core principle of this country. You cannot just remove signs that you do not personally agree with.

“New & Improved..”

Since: Oct 07

Formerly From Kenya

#9 Feb 22, 2013
30 years ago I pulled one of those "Do Not Remove By Penalty Of Law" tags off my pillow..Been lookin' over my shoulder ever since...it's a bad way.
concerned parent

North East, PA

#10 Feb 22, 2013
Are you serious (happyripleyres)? Why are on earth would you put a sign that is so inappropriate? Did you not realize that students (yes - elementary leave through that exit?) would view it? I cannot believe any parent would stoop to that level. You are right, freedom of speech is a core principal...then why did someone stuff an exhaust pipe of a student's car that supported a no vote..... I hope they catch the criminal....yes criminal, he could have had serious consequences of that action...Are you willing to state your name? Probably not.. I think I know who owns the property, of course you do...are you willing to state that? The truth is all I ask.....
concerned parent

North East, PA

#11 Feb 22, 2013
My son loves RCS. How can a handful of students determine the future of 130???
concerned parent

North East, PA

#12 Feb 22, 2013
Did some research....the property is owned by Ormsby. Isn't that the name of the principal? Coincidence, or is it the principal?
If you put the sign there you know.....

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

South Bend, IN

#13 Feb 22, 2013
johnny wrote:
the sign said screw the kids i think who put it there must have been a petafile
Geek Trivia: A petafile is 1 million gigafiles.
angry citizen

Canton, OH

#14 Feb 23, 2013
The property is owned by the same person who is the RCS principal. The house is rented out so it is unclear if Ms. Ormsby had any knowledge of what the sign said. That would be a good question to ask her as the sign was very unprofessional and a very poor example to our children on what the democratic process should include. A bit of trivia-Ormsby was hired two years ago as principal, without the RCS board interviewing any other canidates (no job posting). She was hired as a administrative "intern" because she did not have the necessary state certification to be hired as a principal.$70,000 salary in year one, about $73,000 in year two. This current school year she was given a raise to about $93,000 plus a potential bonus of $5,000 based on her performance. That means if she does what she's paid $93,000 to do the gets $5,000 more. In addition her work load has been reduced with the creation of the "dean of students" position and the recent hiring of another principal. I find those facts to be amazing. A work load reduced,a $20,000 raise for a principal in charge of our elementary grades which did so poorly on state tests that Ripley is now a "focus" school. Normally "you get what you pay for", but in this case we pay to employ a personal friend of the Rowe clan whose performance seems quite suspect. Bob Bentley, just when I think you and your fellow board members can't sink any lower you amaze me.
happyripleyres

Dunkirk, NY

#15 Feb 23, 2013
The term screw someone is a common metaphor used in every day conversation. The elementary kids old enough to read have doubtless heard the term before. The sign was meant to make people think about what their vote would mean. Did they want to preserve teachers jobs or do what was best for the kids.
happyripleyres

Dunkirk, NY

#16 Feb 23, 2013
A handfull of students did not decide anything. None of them are old enough to vote. The adults who cared enough about the issue decided in a public vote.
yes

Erie, PA

#17 Feb 23, 2013
as adults we should be held to higher levels but also we think what is best for us not what is best for the majority which is what is best for our children and their education.

you forget that the Mr Lewczyk held the position that the dean of students has. the position is needed because some of the students are troublemakers and really don't listen to the teachers if only the parents would take responsibility for their child's ACTION THEN WE MAY NOT NEED THAT POSITION BUT UNTIL YOU START TO BE PARENTS AND HANDLE YOUR CHILD THEN THATS WHAT WE GET.
Ms. Orsmby is well educated and cares deeply for our students she gave up a college teaching position to come back to Ripley fully knowing Ripley was in trouble. long term it wasn't the right move but she believes in Ripley. she is trying to get Ripley students ahead did she make mistakes I hope so we all do but she is doing what is best for a child's education

NO ONE LIKES CHANGE BUT WE NEED IT TO GET BETTER IT IS HARD BUT NECCESSARY LETS GET ALONG AND TRY TO MAKE A BETTER RIPLEY IT WONT BE EASY.
ripley resident

Dunkirk, NY

#18 Feb 23, 2013
Happyripleyres

Well you should be old enough to know that making a sign saying "screw the kids save the teachers" could be taken wrong. I have heard many people say that it was an inappropriate sign. The sign was a no sign, she is on the no "team"... The sign could have and should have been phrased differently. Not everyone knew the message on the sign was sarcastic.
angry citizen

Canton, OH

#19 Feb 23, 2013
You apparently don't realize the difference between salary and benefits for a beginning college professor as opposed to what a administrator makes in Ripley. The return to RCS was motivated by money, not a love for Ripley,after all she did own a house and moved out of town. Ms.Ormsby's job consists of overseeing the education of our children to which she failed miserably dispite elementary class sizes of 10-12 students. We are now a 'focus school'. Historically at RCS as well as other schools across the nation, principals handle discipline. I agree we need to all get along but that should not imply that teachers,administrators as well as board members not be accountable for what they do.
ripley resident

Dunkirk, NY

#20 Feb 23, 2013
Happyripleyres

So are you saying that the children's opinions do not matter? Because the children are the ones being directly affected in this situation. So what if they are not old enough to vote, they should still have a say in this matter. These children are losing their school, losing the school that they have grown up in. They care, no matter what age they are, they care. Even the seniors care because they have friends and family in this school that they want to see graduate from their hometown school. The students should have been asked about what they would want to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chautauqua County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chautauqua County man charged with burglary, un... Nov 7 kenny 1
News K-9 Unit Discovers Packaged Drugs During Traffi... Oct '17 bill 1
give it a rest (Sep '06) Oct '17 Remember 155
News Committee asks Sheriff's Office to cut $500,000 Oct '17 john bentley 1
News Clymer Resident Charged After Alleged Relations... Oct '17 victor rivera 1
Pagans Aug '17 Uracoward 2
What a joke. Aug '17 Uracoward 1
More from around the web