Savannah High School Fires Entire Staff

Savannah High School Fires Entire Staff

There are 3 comments on the CBS 46 story from Mar 25, 2010, titled Savannah High School Fires Entire Staff. In it, CBS 46 reports that:

A failing Savannah high school is firing its entire staff as it struggles to avoid state takeover.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS 46.

Since: Feb 10

Kansas City, MO

#1 Mar 26, 2010
I'm sure some of the teachers there needed to be fired, but I think it's time for society to stop blaming the teachers for all of the world's ills. Teachers are there to teach, but they also have to be moms/dad, nurses, counselors, disciplinaries,etc. The list could go on and on. It's time to make the parents step up and be parents. Of course by the time they're in high school, it too late. We need to go back to the day when a parent believed the teacher. I remember getting in trouble at school and then even worse trouble when I got home. And yes, I know what I'm talking about. I'm a former teacher!
Earl Newton

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Mar 26, 2010
I am saddened by this. I know that there are many teachers there that have tried to do their best. I also know that the gang element at Beach High is so high that it has become a problem. The polarization of Beach High students has been historically documented. The thing is, the School Board knows that they are putting too many gangs together when they partitioned the areas of attendance.
Really sad

Dallas, GA

#3 Mar 31, 2010
Often times the teachers are the pawns in a much larger game. The teachers who aren't given any support from administrators are left to their own devices to try and keep peace within their classrooms. The administrators will say " we won't allow these kids to disrespect any teacher" but when the kid calls the teacher a "bitch" for not allowing them to leave to use the restroom ( again, administrators often say don't let them out during class time) then when the kid is written up, no consequence occurs. What does this say to the rest of the class? I would say it tells them they are above consequences. This scenario has no doubt, taken place in this school many times, over and over. When I give a lecture and assignment, invariably there are a few who interrupt and disrupt necessitating my stopping the lecture and dealing with them. I don't believe in giving them much attention for disruption, instead I focus on the ones listening. However, the one or two disrupting believe they should be the "alpha" and we are often all at the mercy of those students. Administrators will say, call the parents, schedule a conference. Parents say they can't control them and don't know what to do.( thats if you can get them on the phone or have them come into a conference) So as a teacher you gradually stop or spend less and less time on the great lesson plans since they only get ruined any way and you aren't able to execute them since "others" agendas are usually going to take precedence. Very few administrators are ever held accountable, specifically the ones in the central offices. They sit at their nice desks and keep themselves at a distance from the schools and blame everyone else for the failure. From what I have read about this school, they have all kinds of programs available for these kids. A CISCO accreditation program? I mean come on, this is something I would have dreamed of having as a teenager. This is a pretty good indicator that someone can get employment beyond high school. The system itself needs to be looked at too. Throwing money at a school to solve a problem isn't enough when it seem evident they already have programs in place. The system may need a shake up too. I am sick of taking the blame for the "higher" ups who sit on their butts and do nothing but take long lunches and have meetings.( many of which wind up producing more useless paperwork for us to do in order for them to justify their jobs)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chatham County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Opinion: Crime in Savannah: What's the answer? (Aug '15) Aug '15 Jpac104 1
Mark revenew is a murderous ape (Jul '15) Jul '15 WTOC TV Savannah 1
News Savannah pastor gets almost decade in prison fo... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Sam 3
News Paula Deen posts picture of son in Brownface, d... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Nathanael Greene 1
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white (Jun '15) Jun '15 7948hklf 1
News Commissioner Yusuf Shabazz facing charges after... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Mohamad Smith 1
News Bambi Frazier Announces Book Signing and Free C... (May '15) May '15 JenJo1 1
More from around the web