Charleston County giving some folks wedding bell blues

There are 2 comments on the May 20, 2009, The Post and Courier story titled Charleston County giving some folks wedding bell blues. In it, The Post and Courier reports that:

It seemed like a good idea: Allow Charleston County court officials to marry couples who already drop by there to get a marriage license.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Post and Courier.

Thomas Doughty

Charleston, SC

#1 Jun 4, 2009
I was mentioned in the story and someone commented that we who don't want the Courthouse to begin performing marriages were just being sour grapes. Well, please answer this, does anyone out there know of any business or service that after you tell someone what you can do for them, must then immediately send your prospect directly to your competition at the Courthouse? I don't think that any County employee who can legally perform marriages should be restricted from performing marriages on any other Counties Marriage Licenses. The terrible part of it is that conflict of interest that exsist when they try to hussel away someone elses prospects when they come in to obtain a Marriage License.
Thomas Doughty

Charleston, SC

#2 Jun 6, 2009
You know that the County and/or State issue other things like Building Permits, Death Certificates and other licenses and permits. How would the builders feel if when someone they had talked with went to obtain a builing permit be told that the permit office also runs building and/or remodelling business and wouldn't it be convenient to hire the Counties Peoples to do the job. How would the funeral homes like it if the County Cournor also ran funeral home business and handed out his cards for the funeral business, when he gave someone the death certificate. Well, maybe my grammer and spelling is off, but you get the idea. My question is this, is the County and or State in exsistance to take over independent business or to assist where records can and should be kept for the future. Someone tell Judge Condon that I might coming down to his office next month to apply for the Job of The Charleston County Marriage Commissioner; I will then have alot of time to devote to the job. Well, at least I know where I might find employment and isn't it great that I will be working for the Goverment, if I get the job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Charleston activist and Jesse Jackson cal... Apr 17 Spaulding Smails 2
News Teacher Allows Students To Use Trash Can As Toilet (Oct '06) Apr 8 andet1987 19
News More Mar '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News Brawl breaks out outside North Charleston IHOP Mar '15 Ontario reads 1
News New music charter school lands downtown Charles... Mar '15 Ontario reads 1
News Things to Do Friday, March 13, 2015 Mar '15 Ontario reads 1
365 Days of Talking with Strangers Jan '15 racheldoblin 1
More from around the web