Teacher Allows Students To Use Trash ...

Teacher Allows Students To Use Trash Can As Toilet

There are 20 comments on the Wfmynews2.com story from Oct 13, 2006, titled Teacher Allows Students To Use Trash Can As Toilet. In it, Wfmynews2.com reports that:

A fifth grade teacher allowed five students, boys and girls, to use a trash can as a toilet during a school lockdown drill when no one was supposed to leave the classroom.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wfmynews2.com.

VEE

AOL

#1 Oct 13, 2006
Guess what? If I am in a lock down with kids and they have to GO, I dont care if they piss in the closet or take aim at the clock on the wall, no kid in my care is going to leave the room. This goes for a drill or the real deal. And I could care less if the parents complain. A lock down is taken seriously. Just like a fire drill. I bet the parents would have a lot more to say if there was no child returning home because they were visited by a sniper.
CaliTeach

San Jose, CA

#2 Oct 13, 2006
It's interesting what teaching has become. The lockdown drills have replaced nuclear blast drills of the past. Building barracades, locking doors, when windows can be shot through or a person can run through firing under and through things. Does it really help stop them, or make it look like something is being done so lawsuits don't come from the parents later?
Going Postal comes from the disgruntled employees solving problems with guns. Isn't that the real problem? Teaching people not to solve problems with violence might be a better solution than hiding from a person with a gun.
When I'm huddled in a "fort" as I tell my 3rd graders to call it, like they build at home with couch cushions for fun, I wonder what are we teaching them with these drills? What is the real fear we're teaching them? And what can we do to stop the "Going Postal" before the person with the gun chooses to enter a school?
Can we say no to violence as well as drugs during Red Ribbon Week?
Can we write stories or tell stories that are spooky and not violent? A non-violent choice to a violent choice?
But then, I have to build my "fort tent" again as a lockdown drill practice. These are just some of the thoughts I have while preparing and teaching my students to prepare for this drill. I wonder what the kids think.
Maybe stopping these people from making the choice to enter schools with guns should be the priority instead of forcing kids into situations where they need to use a trashcan for a toilet.
And yeah, if students and teachers are being made to do these drills, what choice did the teacher and the students really have? The corner? The sink?
Julie Phillips

San Jose, CA

#3 Oct 14, 2006
I think the teacher was wise in letting them use the garbage can. If they were in the room for a length of time and the children had to go to the bathroom what else was she supposed to do when they could not leave the room. Were they supposed to wet their pants? I am assumming that she put the garbabe can in as private of a place as she could.

“I'm tired of being tired!”

Since: Sep 06

b f egypy

#4 Oct 14, 2006
VEE wrote:
Guess what? If I am in a lock down with kids and they have to GO, I dont care if they piss in the closet or take aim at the clock on the wall, no kid in my care is going to leave the room. This goes for a drill or the real deal. And I could care less if the parents complain. A lock down is taken seriously. Just like a fire drill. I bet the parents would have a lot more to say if there was no child returning home because they were visited by a sniper.
What is that saying? No means No...well that teacher did exactly what she was trained to do...NO leaving that room regardless of the circumstances.
mendomom

United States

#5 Oct 14, 2006
I do not think this teacher should be reprimanded for this situation. Did anyone take this senario into account when the lock down proceedures were developed. Perhaps a privey/commode, camp toilet with privacy screen should be supplied in each class room for instances like these. What about children who are in lock down for hours? Has this never happened before, or have kids had to wet themselves in other lockdown situations?
Telling students to "think of something other than having to use the restroom" won't work for a kid who REALLY has to go.
Bolinger

United States

#6 Oct 14, 2006
The new "Duck and Cover Your Nose" program!
Doug

Mount Pleasant, SC

#7 Oct 14, 2006
I guess the teacher should have told them to Urinate in there pants.

oh no cant do that it would humiliate and hurt there phyce. Just being facetious here. To a point anyway.

That was brought up in where schools don't want to hurt feelings. I remember other students grading my papers in class and it didn't destroy me personally if someone seen my papers. But kids are so fragile. Probably because we are making them that way. I remember having a teacher where we were afraid to do anythng wrong because of the rubber hose in his desk drawer. Could you imagine today if that happened.

BUt I guess the salution is that all schools be required to have a bathroom in every classroom so they can be prepared for drills and emergency situations. whoops forgot, that will cost to much money.

I guess the teacher got in trouble because he had a heart for the kids in a situation where there was no ulternative.

I guess if it was a real life situation he could have said go down the hall way quickly and silently, but don't let them see you. Then I guess he would really be in trouble for making a bad decision..
Mother of Six

Burlington, WI

#8 Oct 14, 2006
It shouldnt matter what the kids went in durring a lock down .isnt the whole point, the safety of the kids. In schools today lock down are there for a reason. We need to keep our kids safe. but I do agree with they should of done or had a way to do it more discreetly.
VEE

AOL

#9 Oct 14, 2006
VEE wrote:
Just to add one small FYI. If a sniper comes in and points a gun at the kids, where they are going to do their "BUSINESS" will be the last thing they will worry about as everyone will do it in the SAME PLACE. Along with the teacher.
virginia

United States

#10 Oct 14, 2006
All good points so far-Come on !if anyone has a problem with what took place-just ask yourself what would you have done in this teachers situation (honesty now)your answer the only logical one would and should be the same thing the teacher did !

“I'm tired of being tired!”

Since: Sep 06

b f egypy

#11 Oct 15, 2006
All I know, If I had been that teacher (remember this was a drill situation) I would much rather have my students soil their pants instead of trying to sneak and hide from the gunman to cop a squat on the toilet....and get their head blown off!!
And those drills take place for a reason..training...when a situation turns "real" we all revert to what we were trained..and if those kids were trained that "its okay" to run to the potty...well, if the real thing happened...thats exactly where their mindset would be...NOT in surviving.
Grace Nerissa

Longford, Ireland

#12 Oct 15, 2006
Mother of Six wrote:
It shouldnt matter what the kids went in durring a lock down .isnt the whole point, the safety of the kids. In schools today lock down are there for a reason. We need to keep our kids safe. but I do agree with they should of done or had a way to do it more discreetly.
We don't have 'lock down' in this country but I figured out what it is from the conversation here.. What I cannot possily understand is that such an important and natural factor would not have been considered and therefore catered for, well in advance.. Such circumstances should have been glaringly obvoius! it looks like inviting folks to a cheese and wine party and forgetting to buy the wine!
Sheesh

United States

#13 Oct 15, 2006
Right now in this country we are raising a bunch of "soft" children. They will not know what to do when times get really rough. I am afraid that this generation will see alot tougher things than where to relieve themselves when decent facilities aren't available.
Doug

Mount Pleasant, SC

#14 Oct 17, 2006
I remember kids in school were deathy afraid of there teachers, or maybe it was more of a fear of facing there parents afterwards if they were caught.

I was taught the difference of what was wrong and what was right. I knew at a very early age that you just don't go shoot someone as it was wrong, or to go rob someone because it was wrong. I was taught you go and work for what you get.

Something I think about a lot. From 14 on I hunted constantly. I lived about four blocks from the outskirts of town. I don't know how many times, countless I would be walking up the street with a shot gun, a rifle or a hand gun or both to get to where I was going to hunt. No one thought anything of it, never once was I questioned or stopped by the law. Imagine today if I walked those few blocks with a gun. But then again now if I was there I would have to walk over a mile as it's all a housing development.
VEE

AOL

#15 Oct 17, 2006
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't have 'lock down' in this country but I figured out what it is from the conversation here.. What I cannot possily understand is that such an important and natural factor would not have been considered and therefore catered for, well in advance.. Such circumstances should have been glaringly obvoius! it looks like inviting folks to a cheese and wine party and forgetting to buy the wine!
Lock down is a new thing here, too, Grace, we never had it before. I am glad I am not in school anymore and although I dont regret teaching, I would not want to a teacher in public school today. I would have to wear full combat fatigues.
Bridgette Bailen

AOL

#16 Oct 24, 2006
I can totally understand where most of you are coming from, but what I would do is use a phone to call the principal and tell him or her what I was going to do. Therefore, maybe the drill cut have been cut short or rescheduled. As an administrator, I would have to make sure that this is something that is planned for. If the principal or school district never had a procedure for using the bathroom during a lockdown, then they cannot hold this teacher accountable for his/her actions.
FreeMan

Royal Oak, MI

#17 Jun 7, 2007
www.prisonplanet.com

www.infowars.com

read it

enjoy

open mind and free it...

amen

“Forehead wrinkle”

Since: Dec 10

Homefries

#18 Apr 8, 2015
Heck, I know this woman from Edmonton that uses a trashcan as a toilet on a regular basis......apparently she learned this in the Dominican Republic.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#19 Apr 8, 2015
The President of the USA should make a law to make it mandatory for teachers to provide and improvise a portable toilet inside the room. aside from the lesson plans, teachers should provide a portable toilet. :)
Teaching Phart

Buffalo, NY

#20 Mar 2, 2017
Trashcan pharts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert McQuillan 2nd CDV Charge (Feb '17) Sep 16 More Info 2
News Body of 3-year-old girl to return home (Nov '09) Jun '17 shida206 53
Charleston County Arrest Records and Criminal M... (Oct '16) Mar '17 Melvin 3
News Women's March on Washington plans sister march ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Dudley 5
News Citadel labor historian arrested in Crosstown p... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Slugger 1
News RESULTS: The Lowcountry's election winners (Nov '16) Nov '16 o see the light 1
News Longtime downtown Charleston womena s shop to c... (Feb '16) Aug '16 Bonnie 2
More from around the web