Methadone program a way out for some

Methadone program a way out for some

There are 23 comments on the The Post and Courier story from Jul 14, 2008, titled Methadone program a way out for some. In it, The Post and Courier reports that:

A client of the Charleston Center of Charleston County takes a dose of methadone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Post and Courier.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
T-Roy

New Boston, MI

#1 Jul 26, 2008
Methadone if used PROPERLY is BY FAR the only way to detox off any opiate. 32 years on met and after a slow detox 25 years in, the ONLY way to go. The only drug I know of that works the way it was meant to!!!

Since: Jul 08

Carbondale, PA

#2 Jul 26, 2008
T-Roy wrote:
Methadone if used PROPERLY is BY FAR the only way to detox off any opiate. 32 years on met and after a slow detox 25 years in, the ONLY way to go. The only drug I know of that works the way it was meant to!!!
In my opinon, Methadone is just a substitute. Suboxone on the other hand will actually heal your brain while you are detoxing off opiates. People use suboxone to detox off methadone so i'm not sure i agree with you on that one.

Steve

“Do I make you 'randy' baby?”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 Jul 26, 2008
T-Roy wrote:
I repeat:

T-Roy, I think you'll find about a dozen or more people in here that strongly oppose your viewpoint. Suboxone and Subutex work great.
shelly

Palm Harbor, FL

#4 Jul 26, 2008
There isnt just one way to get off opiates,thats for sure. What works for some, may not work for others. Its just what works for you.
time is the fire

Jamestown, NY

#5 Jul 27, 2008
True but I believe when on methadone you are not really getting "clean"unless you do the 3day detox program but if you don't do rehab (30)day that too doesn't work... I know I tried that route and on the 4th day I was again in the chase
shelly

Palm Harbor, FL

#6 Jul 27, 2008
time is the fire wrote:
True but I believe when on methadone you are not really getting "clean"unless you do the 3day detox program but if you don't do rehab (30)day that too doesn't work... I know I tried that route and on the 4th day I was again in the chase
Time,
Have you tried methadone? I never have but I have heard all sorts of horror stories surrounding its use. It surprises me that with all the medical advancements and technology in todays world, that there isnt a better or quicker or less of a pain in the ass way, ya know.
I mean hell, I work with someone who had a quintuple bypass and was only in the hospital for 2 days, back to work in 14. I finally figured it out that its probably not a good idea to mess with the chemical balance of ones brain.LOL.
time is the fire

United States

#7 Aug 1, 2008
yes I was on methadone for awhile(Rx'd)and its good and cheap Its a long lasting opioid and the W/Ds from it were the worse I ever had no lie...its good for long term pain management but I would'nt recommend it for a treatment program...later shelly have a good weekend !!!
shelly

Palm Harbor, FL

#8 Aug 1, 2008
time is the fire wrote:
yes I was on methadone for awhile(Rx'd)and its good and cheap Its a long lasting opioid and the W/Ds from it were the worse I ever had no lie...its good for long term pain management but I would'nt recommend it for a treatment program...later shelly have a good weekend !!!
Thats what I thought, about methadone. Its crazy that if its soo bad that they would put people on it, I mean for traetment off opiates, not for pain. I guess though if someones a heroing addict then its better but hell, who knows anymore. If someone could find a better way, they would make millions.
Have a great weekend yourself Time :)
scott

Pompano Beach, FL

#9 Aug 2, 2008
i really hate when all these people give methadone such a bad name. For people with moderate to SEVERE opiate problems it is the BEST suitable way to get off. I was also not put on any long-term maintenance program like soo many people hear about. It was a 10 day methadone taper from about a 2 bundle a day IV dope habit(for me). I went through no withdrawal while on the methadone or when the 10 days of taking it was up(only a little insomnia but that was it). Methadone can be JUST as effective if not more so than suboxone in short-term tapers as well as long-term ones
scott

Pompano Beach, FL

#10 Aug 2, 2008
and actually shelly, being that i was addicted to both heroin and oxycontin and withdrew from each on different occasions. The withdrawals from oxycontin is A LOT harsher than a heroin withdrawal...just thought id let you in on that little tidbit
scott

Pompano Beach, FL

#11 Aug 2, 2008
Mr_Browning you think getting on methadone to detox and use for a taper program is substituting but you don't believe getting on suboxone to detox and use for a taper program is substituting???

2 + 2 = 5 as well Mr_browning???

Location hidden

#12 Aug 2, 2008
scott wrote:
i really hate when all these people give methadone such a bad name. For people with moderate to SEVERE opiate problems it is the BEST suitable way to get off. I was also not put on any long-term maintenance program like soo many people hear about. It was a 10 day methadone taper from about a 2 bundle a day IV dope habit(for me). I went through no withdrawal while on the methadone or when the 10 days of taking it was up(only a little insomnia but that was it). Methadone can be JUST as effective if not more so than suboxone in short-term tapers as well as long-term ones
A heck of a lot more people abuse methadone than suboxone. I think that's where it gets it's bad rap.
monique

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Aug 2, 2008
Today is only day 1 for me on methadone but I already feel the different affects from my doctor switching me from suboxone. I did a taper and that did not work out well. I was constipated and sweated excessively and it cost me over 50 bucks for only 12 pills. My taper ended today and I was craving really bad. I did my research on Methadone and it is used more in Oklahoma as a detox drug than subloxone. 20 10mg methadone tabs only cost me 10 bucks, big difference. Everyone on here says stay away from methadone. I only took my first pill around 9pm and it is now 1030. My doc says it won't affect you right away that it takes up to 2 hrs. Anything you can tell me that is positive about methadone I would appreciate. Do you have to detox off of that too? He wants to see how I do on the Meth and then maybe switch me back to sub once I have the money to buy it and see how I do. What do you suggest. Thanks
T-Roy wrote:
shelly

Palm Harbor, FL

#14 Aug 3, 2008
scott wrote:
and actually shelly, being that i was addicted to both heroin and oxycontin and withdrew from each on different occasions. The withdrawals from oxycontin is A LOT harsher than a heroin withdrawal...just thought id let you in on that little tidbit
Don get me wrong scott. I am not saying anything bad about anything. Who am I to say whats right or wrong. I certaintly do not judge. Just simply asking a question actually in defense of meth. My question was "why would they give it if it was so bad?" Meaning, it cant be that horrible or the medical professionlas would not give it out. Like I said, I have no clue, just wondering and certaintly no offense to anyone meant either.
time is the fire

United States

#15 Aug 13, 2008
I agree whatever works!!! if anyone gets a chance and can find it check out the documentary titled "METHADONIA" it might shed some light on this whole thing///

Location hidden

#16 Aug 13, 2008
monique wrote:
Today is only day 1 for me on methadone but I already feel the different affects from my doctor switching me from suboxone. I did a taper and that did not work out well. I was constipated and sweated excessively and it cost me over 50 bucks for only 12 pills. My taper ended today and I was craving really bad. I did my research on Methadone and it is used more in Oklahoma as a detox drug than subloxone. 20 10mg methadone tabs only cost me 10 bucks, big difference. Everyone on here says stay away from methadone. I only took my first pill around 9pm and it is now 1030. My doc says it won't affect you right away that it takes up to 2 hrs. Anything you can tell me that is positive about methadone I would appreciate. Do you have to detox off of that too? He wants to see how I do on the Meth and then maybe switch me back to sub once I have the money to buy it and see how I do. What do you suggest. Thanks<quoted text>
Let's hear what you have to say now Monique?

Since: Jul 08

Carbondale, PA

#17 Aug 13, 2008
scott wrote:
Mr_Browning you think getting on methadone to detox and use for a taper program is substituting but you don't believe getting on suboxone to detox and use for a taper program is substituting???
2 + 2 = 5 as well Mr_browning???
First of all jackass, i was never on either of the two medications because i don't abuse my opiate pain medicine, so don't give me anyone of that 2+2 shit. And secondly you don't see people outside suboxone clinics selling their take homes. Thirdly, methadone is a full agonist and does not repair your brain like suboxone does and when you come off methadone you will want to kill yourself because the withdrawals last 3x longer than heroin. Methadone is not even in the same league as suboxone. It's just another way for heroin addicts to get high without the drug dealers and dirty needles.

Location hidden

#18 Aug 13, 2008
Mr_Browning wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all jackass, i was never on either of the two medications because i don't abuse my opiate pain medicine, so don't give me anyone of that 2+2 shit. And secondly you don't see people outside suboxone clinics selling their take homes. Thirdly, methadone is a full agonist and does not repair your brain like suboxone does and when you come off methadone you will want to kill yourself because the withdrawals last 3x longer than heroin. Methadone is not even in the same league as suboxone. It's just another way for heroin addicts to get high without the drug dealers and dirty needles.
I agree with some of that Steve but some people try to recover using Methadone. I'm certainly not a methadone fan; would not recommend anyone try it, but some people stand by it for pain relief.

Don't let peeps get under your skin bro.

Location hidden

#19 Aug 13, 2008
Mr_Browning wrote:
<quoted text>
One more thing, I don't think Scott was implying that you used or abused anything. I'm not defending Scott; that's just an observation. Scott has offered some valuable experience.
Dave

United States

#20 Dec 10, 2008
I was on subutex for two years and the wds were hell! People seem to think that you won't get physically addicted to subutex/suboxten but you definately do! I have been trying to get off for 6 months now. Monday I am going to a meth clinic to do a thirty day detox. I'm starting at 30mgs and dropping 1mg p/day. I think this has a good chance of working. I am going to give it everything I have! If it doesn't work I can always go back to the subutex. You need to be on 30mgs or less to switch from meth to subutex. I think with tapering, meth is going to be the way to go (as long as it is short term and low doses). I will keep everyone posted and let you know how it works out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mount Pleasant mayoral candidate Linda Page: To... Nov '17 PJS 2
Robert McQuillan 2nd CDV Charge (Feb '17) Sep '17 More Info 2
News Body of 3-year-old girl to return home (Nov '09) Jun '17 shida206 53
Charleston County Arrest Records and Criminal M... (Oct '16) Mar '17 Melvin 3
News Teacher Allows Students To Use Trash Can As Toilet (Oct '06) Mar '17 Teaching Phart 20
News Women's March on Washington plans sister march ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Dudley 5
News Citadel labor historian arrested in Crosstown p... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Slugger 1
More from around the web