Kidnap prank causes uproar in La Plata

Feb 25, 2009 Full story: The Independent

The alleged attempted abduction of an 11-year-old boy in the Kings Grant subdivision in La Plata on Friday evening turned out to be a "prank" dreamed up by two high school students.

Read more
Jeannine

Baltimore, MD

#1 Mar 2, 2009
I cannot believe that noone else is shocked and outraged by this so-called prank. In the article, "KIDNAP PRANK CAUSES UPROAR IN LA PLATA" it states that “an attempted abduction of an 11-year-old boy in the Kings Grant subdivision .. turned out to be a “prank” dreamed up by two high school students.” PRANK? Are you kidding me? A prank is a practical joke. This article makes it sound like these kids did something harmless and silly. Do you think for one minute the 11-year boy thought it was a “prank”? Attempted kidnapping is a CRIME in this country. Did the 17-year old boys think what they would have done with this young man had he agreed to help them find their “dog”? Did they intend on taking the child and harming him? Thankfully, the young man knew enough to run to a neighbor's house for safety so we won't ever know what they would have done. The article also states that these boys were "not charged for the incident". Why not? They are old enough to know right from wrong. So the next time a couple of teenagers are bored and decide to pull another “prank” are they going escape punishment, too? Had a 45-year-old man pulled this "prank", he'd be in jail. Are these teenagers above the law? I don't necessarily believe jail time is the answer but I sure as heck think that they should do community service - and not picking up trash - let the punishment fit the crime. They should work directly with families who lives have been shattered because their child has been abducted. This prank was no "joke". Call it what is – a crime. An entire community was affected by the actions of these thoughtless individuals. These boys need to be held accountable for their “prank” and soon!
Mom

Capitol Heights, MD

#2 Mar 2, 2009
As the Mom of the 11 year old I can only sat thank you! It is nice to see that someone in Laplata actually cares about our town and our children.
Jeannine wrote:
I cannot believe that noone else is shocked and outraged by this so-called prank. In the article, "KIDNAP PRANK CAUSES UPROAR IN LA PLATA" it states that “an attempted abduction of an 11-year-old boy in the Kings Grant subdivision .. turned out to be a “prank” dreamed up by two high school students.” PRANK? Are you kidding me? A prank is a practical joke. This article makes it sound like these kids did something harmless and silly. Do you think for one minute the 11-year boy thought it was a “prank”? Attempted kidnapping is a CRIME in this country. Did the 17-year old boys think what they would have done with this young man had he agreed to help them find their “dog”? Did they intend on taking the child and harming him? Thankfully, the young man knew enough to run to a neighbor's house for safety so we won't ever know what they would have done. The article also states that these boys were "not charged for the incident". Why not? They are old enough to know right from wrong. So the next time a couple of teenagers are bored and decide to pull another “prank” are they going escape punishment, too? Had a 45-year-old man pulled this "prank", he'd be in jail. Are these teenagers above the law? I don't necessarily believe jail time is the answer but I sure as heck think that they should do community service - and not picking up trash - let the punishment fit the crime. They should work directly with families who lives have been shattered because their child has been abducted. This prank was no "joke". Call it what is – a crime. An entire community was affected by the actions of these thoughtless individuals. These boys need to be held accountable for their “prank” and soon!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Waldorf, The Ghetto? (Jun '06) 9 hr speee1dy 284
News Conservative dad threatens 'sh*tstorm' if daugh... Oct '14 Shamma 8
News Man Charged For Attempted Murder In Charles Co. (May '12) Sep '14 pico 5
News House Has Three Hour Debate Over Bathrooms, The... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Fundies R Mentall... 4
News Gov. candidates disagree on fracking push (Oct '13) Oct '13 RU KIDDING 2
More Posts Needed Here (Jul '13) Jul '13 Give Me a Break 1
News Police Investigate 2 Jewelry Burglaries At Near... (Apr '13) Apr '13 TATA1219 1
More from around the web