Counties begin trimming jobs, freezin...

Counties begin trimming jobs, freezing hires

There are 14 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jan 16, 2008, titled Counties begin trimming jobs, freezing hires. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Pia Jordan wore a red suit and a pleasant smile as she directed a small crew from Howard County's in-house cable TV studio.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

tax and spend foe

Montgomery Village, MD

#1 Jan 16, 2008
government spending is out of control. elected leaders first responsibility is to the taxpayer, not the employees or the union.
if the unions and the employees are not happy, show them the door. plenty of people are in the wings willing to take the job.
Robbie

United States

#2 Jan 16, 2008
I would say it depends on the type of job as to whether plenty of people are in the wings willing to take the job. If you are talking about a clerical position, you may be right; however, if you are talking about an engineer, you would be wrong.
T McGroin

Parkton, MD

#3 Jan 16, 2008
Cut, Cut, Cut. It dosn't really matter anymore. This state is in the tank under O'Mally's leadership.
I like many others are throwing in the towel and moveing to PA. Who needs this.
Don't worry, all the social programs will be fully funded though. How else can he get the vote to be relected.
Was Bob E that bad?
Michael

Baltimore, MD

#4 Jan 16, 2008
Even Democrats have to wonder how we've gotten ourselves into the position where we have to raise taxes dramatically while cutting services as well.

HINT: The General A$$embly.

HINT#2: It's not Erhlich's fault.

Once again the Pols and The Sun spread the propaganda of cuts to education, public TV, homeless shelters, etc... instead of demanding real cuts in the enormous waste within our state government's many departments.

Do you know that funding for every state department increases each year? Do you know that Dept. heads make sure they spend every penny each year, even if they don't need it, in order to secure increased funding the next year? Why isn't this ever discussed as a way to cut spending? How about a 3-5% across the board reduction from every major department? The fat is there for the trimming!!!!

The problem with MOM and The Sun is that would mean a government bureaucracy that didn't continue to grow every year, and they can't abide that.

Where's the hard-hitting story in The Sun concerning waste within Maryland government? Are we supposed to believe there isn't any?!?!?! There are larger agendas afoot here.
HoCo Resident

Glen Arm, MD

#5 Jan 16, 2008
Howard County lays off an entire team due to budget cuts, yet has plenty of cash to provide free health care to every eligible "resident." Not to mention we are one of the richest counties. Something smells fishy here......I surely didn't vote for O'Malley or Ulman!
Josh

Beallsville, MD

#6 Jan 16, 2008
Michael wrote:
Even Democrats have to wonder how we've gotten ourselves into the position where we have to raise taxes dramatically while cutting services as well.
HINT: The General A$$embly.
HINT#2: It's not Erhlich's fault.
Once again the Pols and The Sun spread the propaganda of cuts to education, public TV, homeless shelters, etc... instead of demanding real cuts in the enormous waste within our state government's many departments.
Do you know that funding for every state department increases each year? Do you know that Dept. heads make sure they spend every penny each year, even if they don't need it, in order to secure increased funding the next year? Why isn't this ever discussed as a way to cut spending? How about a 3-5% across the board reduction from every major department? The fat is there for the trimming!!!!
The problem with MOM and The Sun is that would mean a government bureaucracy that didn't continue to grow every year, and they can't abide that.
Where's the hard-hitting story in The Sun concerning waste within Maryland government? Are we supposed to believe there isn't any?!?!?! There are larger agendas afoot here.
But you forget one huge detail, in Maryland once the Governor submits a budget, the General Assembly can only cut, it cannot increase spending. So when Bob Ehrlich raised state spending by 12% his final year in office, and cooked the books by merging the capital and operating budgets togeather to create the appearance of a surplus, it was all Ehrlich. Gov O'Malley is cleaning up Bob Ehrlich's mess that he wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole.
tired of it

Baltimore, MD

#7 Jan 16, 2008
makes you wonder where all the money is going.
everyone is being cut, and the taxes are going up that much?
something is seriously wrong in Annapolis.
HoCo Resident

Glen Arm, MD

#8 Jan 16, 2008
Josh wrote:
<quoted text>
But you forget one huge detail, in Maryland once the Governor submits a budget, the General Assembly can only cut, it cannot increase spending. So when Bob Ehrlich raised state spending by 12% his final year in office, and cooked the books by merging the capital and operating budgets togeather to create the appearance of a surplus, it was all Ehrlich. Gov O'Malley is cleaning up Bob Ehrlich's mess that he wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole.
Yet another person who drank the MOM Cool-Aid.

“Don't protect me from me!”

Since: Jul 07

Vienna, VA

#9 Jan 16, 2008
This is exactly how it should work. The state should not be Robin Hood.

After all, all of the money redistributed by the state is taken from people and businesses in the local jurisdicitions.

Why not eliminate the state as the middleman for almost all things, save the frictional cost/waste of state government and let the local jurisdicitons tax the citizens and businesses within their jurisdiction to fund those programs?

“Don't protect me from me!”

Since: Jul 07

Vienna, VA

#10 Jan 16, 2008
Josh wrote:
<quoted text>
Cleaning it up by lying about making cuts and raising taxes through the roof to pay for more ineffective government programs?
PAtoMD

United States

#11 Jan 16, 2008
Why is everyone complaining? All I've seen since I moved to MD (11 years ago from PA) is everyone complaining about the politicians in office, yet every election they keep putting the same people back in office or elect new people who are supporters of the same ideas.

It's no big secret that O'Malley was going to raise taxes. He did that as mayor of Baltimore, and to achieve all of the spending proposals he campaigned on and to address the 'structural deficit' he claimed MD had, it was fairly evident where the money for this was going to come from.

I was real shocked when Marylanders elected Ehrlich, but by not electing new people to the state legislature and by not reelecting him it limited any changes he wanted to make.
DaveSun

Odenton, MD

#12 Jan 16, 2008
Not that losing your job is a pleasant experience (I've been through it several times) but did you ever watch the shows that the county paid to produce in that studio? It's not going to be missed except by those who were employed by it. Sorry, but good call on the county's part.
HoCo Resident wrote:
Howard County lays off an entire team due to budget cuts, yet has plenty of cash to provide free health care to every eligible "resident." Not to mention we are one of the richest counties. Something smells fishy here......I surely didn't vote for O'Malley or Ulman!
George

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jan 16, 2008
Naming Charles County as one of these Counties with a hiring freeze and being forced to crunch budgets seems a little odd.

The Charles County Commissioners are currently on an "all-expense-paid" trip to Germany, meeting with the Walldorf, Germany delegation that came to their "sister city" of Waldorf, Maryland last year. On top of this, the Commissioners have added several high-salary positions to their direct staff, positions that either duplicate other County functions or are not really necessary, like a "Chief of Staff" to supplement their four secretaries, two clerks and other direct staff. They've also fired the long-time public information officer for the County and created a "media department" that has a press secretary, media assistant, videographers and other non-sense. The latest creation was adding a "Security Manager" position to oversee part-time security "associates" (also a newly created position) to monitor all the County Buildings (a function that the on-duty County police have been doing without problem for the last 100 years). But these jobs are "essential." A water treatment operator, or a heavy equipment operator to repair roads, or other type of 'blue collar' job isn't "essential" to keep the county running. They're apparently thinking it's okay to 'freeze' twenty $25,000/yr jobs so they can create ten $80,000/yr jobs.

To top everything off, the Commissioners have yanked back from the promise of building one new school per year because of the lack of available funding and the foreseeable shortage of state funding BUT have agreed to spend over $26,000,000 to build a baseball stadium to bring an "professional" independent league baseball team to Southern Maryland. The previous Commissioner board supported the idea, but backed away when they saw the price tag; the current board sent it back to the drawing table, and came back with a "cheaper" design, with less amenities and space, but wound up paying more anyway -- and said okay to the deal.

In the meantime, they're crying about not having any money and the "poor us, we don't even have money to hire the staff we need for this or that..."

They're not short on money, they're just not spending the money they have wisely. But its our fault, we elected them and put them in office.

I sincerely hope that the other Counties mentioned aren't in the same boat us Charles Countians are in.
Insider

Washington, DC

#14 Jan 17, 2008
The Howard County CaTV layoff is a budget "stunt", certainly not required by the County's current of next year revenue projections. Admittedly, the County's cable TV productions were sort of lame...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman found pushing dead son, 3, in swing at Md... May 24 concerned 1
News Woman, 24, found pushing her DEAD three-year-ol... May 24 concerned 1
News Waldorf, The Ghetto? (Jun '06) Mar '15 speee1dy 284
News Conservative dad threatens 'sh*tstorm' if daugh... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Shamma 8
News Man Charged For Attempted Murder In Charles Co. (May '12) Sep '14 pico 5
News House Has Three Hour Debate Over Bathrooms, The... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Fundies R Mentall... 4
News Gov. candidates disagree on fracking push (Oct '13) Oct '13 RU KIDDING 2
More from around the web