Gay student suspended for being, you ...

Gay student suspended for being, you know, too gay

There are 6 comments on the Daily Kos story from Mar 3, 2012, titled Gay student suspended for being, you know, too gay. In it, Daily Kos reports that:

Asante Cotman is a 17-year-old gay kid. He lives in Charles City County, Virginia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Kos.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Mar 5, 2012
If girls can wear high heels so can guys.

“Y'all smell that sawdust?”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2 Mar 5, 2012
Appears to me he got suspended for not obeying instructions not for wearing the heels.

Anyone wearing 6 inch stilettos to high school, male or female, is not using much common sense.

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2012
Confederate Wood Worker wrote:
Appears to me he got suspended for not obeying instructions not for wearing the heels.
Anyone wearing 6 inch stilettos to high school, male or female, is not using much common sense.
If the same standard were applied to female students then I would say you have a good argument but he was singled out for being male doing it. Clearly there is homophobia and gender non-conformity bias involved. I heard the same standard there was not applied to females.

Think if the dress code said all women are to wear dresses, all hell would break lose. They'd be screaming gender discrimination.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 5, 2012
Maybe they should have gender neutral uniforms and dress codes for male and female students.

“Y'all smell that sawdust?”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#5 Mar 5, 2012
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the same standard were applied to female students then I would say you have a good argument but he was singled out for being male doing it. Clearly there is homophobia and gender non-conformity bias involved. I heard the same standard there was not applied to females.
Think if the dress code said all women are to wear dresses, all hell would break lose. They'd be screaming gender discrimination.
I could find nothing in any of the articles on this issue that said girls were wearing 6 inch stilettos.
3 inch heels aren't so bad but 6 inch? Bit overboard, don't you think.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 5, 2012
Confederate Wood Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
I could find nothing in any of the articles on this issue that said girls were wearing 6 inch stilettos.
3 inch heels aren't so bad but 6 inch? Bit overboard, don't you think.
Not saying they aren't too big. I saw news videos of the boy on other threads on Topix. I believe he claimed that they didn't say anything to the girls who wore those.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles City County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Student clothing debate (Mar '12) Oct '13 Tasmia 4
News Animal control officer who shot dog won't face ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 JRZGRL1 1
News Web Exclusive: Student says he was suspended fo... (Mar '12) Nov '12 equalityboy81 6
News Student Asante Cotman, 17, says Virginia school... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Amg314 2
News Student says he was suspended for wearing heels (Mar '12) Mar '12 equalityboy81 3
News This week's hate mail is (Mar '12) Mar '12 equalityboy81 3
News Grandmother to try out for Cowboy's cheerleadin... (Mar '12) Mar '12 equalityboy81 1
More from around the web