Citing 'Do Not Call,' state moves against telemarketers

Full story: The Morning Call

A Baltimore-based mortgage broker who used an overseas telemarketer to make more than 200,000 calls to households throughout the region -- including many whose numbers were on the state's "Do Not Call" list -- ...
Comments
21 - 40 of 44 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2008
wake up

Hellertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 12, 2008
 
megg wrote:
Here's what I don't get. Most people have caller ID these days...do these calls even get answered anymore? We don't pick up for any number we don't recognize...
If you don't answer - they keep calling. You quadruple the amount of calls, so you might as well answer & tell them off.
Tired

Kutztown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 12, 2008
 
The other technique I use is to blow a police whistle into the phone several times as soon as I know it's a telemarketer. This works very well and is fun

Moron, why don't you just say no thank you and hang up, no arguements, no harrassment. I would be fun if someone sued you for deafening them.
Idiots, rampant in PA
jones

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Aug 12, 2008
 
Attorney General Corbett has a form on his site for the do not call list.

Type in his name and you get to the site. I get about four calls a day from unknown caller ID . when I first answered it all I get was a hang up,no message. I already filled out a couple of forms and these unknown caller ID calls keep coming. I just don't answer them . Only one today so far ?

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Aug 12, 2008
 
I'd sure like to see this enforced FAR MORE VIGOROUSLY!

Thank God I have audio caller ID!!! I get more crap calls during the day on my home and home office phone and at least I can ignore them by not picking up.
M Jones

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Aug 12, 2008
 
Kisthardt wrote:
I own and operate a small telemarketing firm, and this DNC thing has made it harder and harder to earn a livelihood in what was once a prospering industry.
At our peak about five years ago, my firm employed nearly 100 telemarketers. Now we only have 43. These are jobs that have been eliminated as a direct result of government interference.
The good news is that telemarketing does have a future. Lately, we've been expanding our work doing fundraising for non-profit organizations. It's great because non-profits are not subject to the DNC list. So, we can call anyone in the state. We generally keep about 90% of what we raise. The non-profits are perfectly happy to take the remaining 10%, since they did not have to risk anything or make any investment in order to collect the additional revenue.
Please be courteous to telemarketers. They are just trying to earn a living. Just like everyone else.
It would be nice if telemarketers, when they hear the word "NO," they stop their pitch. Many don't stop. Also, when I say I'm on a 'do not call' list, they stop calling. It must be a joke, because I keep getting the same number coming up on my caller-ID, AFTER I said to stop calling. I will be forwarding these (after I make a printout from the attached fax machine) to the proper sources. Hopefully, it will not be your telemarketers that's doing this!
M Jones

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Aug 12, 2008
 
Soooooo True wrote:
<quoted text>
Telemarketers have a quota per hour so whenever I get one calling I tell them I am VERY interested but am on the other line and please hold. I let them hold for about 2 minutes them let them talk for about 10 seconds and ask them to hold again. I do this over and over for about 15 minutes and in the end they usually give up and take us off their list.
The other technique I use is to blow a police whistle into the phone several times as soon as I know it's a telemarketer. This works very well and is fun. Under the law when the phone rings in your home YOU own than call so it is perfectly legal to blow your whistle into it. Here again the result is that you will be taken off their lists.
As for the people who make their living making these calls I say get another job. If you so enjoy harassing people go work for a collection agency. They hire the same kind of skum.
I have another way: We get a female in our family take the call. They act like they're old and not aware of what's going on. She asks stupid questions and will state that she does not have a phone. Then, another member of the family will say: "Grandma, get off the phone!, we're expecting an important phone call." She continues to ask what they are selling, asking them what their name is again. She asks how much their product is and says she only has a few dollars in her wallet.

This is another way one can have fun with telemarketers.
no mo calls

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Aug 12, 2008
 
Kisthardt wrote:
I own and operate a small telemarketing firm, and this DNC thing has made it harderonly have 43. These are jobs that have been eliminated as a direct result of government interference.
The good news is that telemarketing does have a future. Lately, we've been expanding our work doing fundraising for non-profit organizations. It's great because non-profits are not subject to the DNC list. So, we can call anyone in the state. We generally keep about 90% of what we raise. The non-profits are perfectly happy to take the remaining 10%, since they did not have to risk anything or make any investment in order to collect the additional revenue.
Please be courteous to telemarketers. They are just trying to earn a living. Just like everyone else.
I have a device that blows stinky gas that smells like a skunk through their phone then it shorts out their phone! So don't try to call me any mo!
I agree

Pottstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Aug 12, 2008
 
While they are at it wrote:
How about cracking down on the political ones?? Two weeks before election time the phone never stops ringing.
I don't appreciate that politicians and non-profits are exempt. Too often non-profits pay third party companies to call. I tell them that I do not respond to phone solicitations and I hang up. I faithfully give to charities and I don't appreciate the phone calls.
Bretts a Jet Now

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Aug 12, 2008
 
disconnect your phone and it will never ring!
ticked off

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Aug 12, 2008
 
la la wrote:
<quoted text>
Then give me your phone number so I can call you and bother you while you are sitting down eating dinner with your family. Or, I will call you at 9:00 at night while you are trying to relax after a rough day.
I hate that when they call at 9pm,and when they call you on the weekend too,I mean if anybody wanted to buy anything they don't need people harassing them to do it.The phone calls I love are to extend the warranty on your vehicle,I drive a 99 car and the car has been paid and had no warranty since 03 lol
ticked off

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Aug 12, 2008
 
wake up wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't answer - they keep calling. You quadruple the amount of calls, so you might as well answer & tell them off.
that is fun to do,it is a good stress reliever after a long day
ticked off

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Aug 12, 2008
 
another thing i did too which was very rotten of me, was I saw the 800 number on caller id so I took the phone to the smoke detector and pushed the button on the phone to answer it and at the same time set the fire alarm lol,they never called back again lol
Terry of Pennsburg

Kutztown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Aug 12, 2008
 
megg wrote:
Here's what I don't get. Most people have caller ID these days...do these calls even get answered anymore? We don't pick up for any number we don't recognize...
I have Caller ID, but most of the calls that come through are Unknown. I have teenage children and most of the time we have to pick up the phone any way, because it may be one of their friends calling. I just wonder why I even have Caller ID, since so many calls comes in as Unknown or Wireless Caller.

But, any way, since I have been on the "Do Not Call" list since it first came out in PA, I really never had much of a problem from telemarketers. And, if I do get one, I just warn them that I am on the "Do Not Call" list and usually they never call me again.
Terry of Pennsburg

Kutztown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Aug 12, 2008
 
Kisthardt wrote:
I own and operate a small telemarketing firm, and this DNC thing has made it harder and harder to earn a livelihood in what was once a prospering industry.
At our peak about five years ago, my firm employed nearly 100 telemarketers. Now we only have 43. These are jobs that have been eliminated as a direct result of government interference.
The good news is that telemarketing does have a future. Lately, we've been expanding our work doing fundraising for non-profit organizations. It's great because non-profits are not subject to the DNC list. So, we can call anyone in the state. We generally keep about 90% of what we raise. The non-profits are perfectly happy to take the remaining 10%, since they did not have to risk anything or make any investment in order to collect the additional revenue.
Please be courteous to telemarketers. They are just trying to earn a living. Just like everyone else.
I understand your point of earning a living to, but when you people call, you always seem to call at the wrong time. If it is not at meal time, it is when a family is trying to get their children settle down for bed, or when one is busy with some thing else. Well, guess what, I do not donate over the phone and I will tell you not to call again, and then I will just hang up without a respond. You call back again and you will be a sorry person, unless I choose to let my voice mail pick up. On my voice mail, it says some thing like this (not of all the exact words) "...If you have tried several times calling, it means that we do not want to speak to you and your return call will never be returned..." Well, this seem to help, since after awhile they get tired of leaving messages and never get a return call back. Majority unwanted calls have sinced stopped.
Bryan 3620

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Aug 12, 2008
 
Just look in the phone book. The numbers to call are in there. I call the "do not call list" numbers every 5 years (that's how long they last).
I NEVER get these telemarketer calls...NEVER.
I agree

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Aug 13, 2008
 
Kisthardt wrote:
I own and operate a small telemarketing firm, and this DNC thing has made it harder and harder to earn a livelihood in what was once a prospering industry.
At our peak about five years ago, my firm employed nearly 100 telemarketers. Now we only have 43. These are jobs that have been eliminated as a direct result of government interference.
The good news is that telemarketing does have a future. Lately, we've been expanding our work doing fundraising for non-profit organizations. It's great because non-profits are not subject to the DNC list. So, we can call anyone in the state. We generally keep about 90% of what we raise. The non-profits are perfectly happy to take the remaining 10%, since they did not have to risk anything or make any investment in order to collect the additional revenue.
Please be courteous to telemarketers. They are just trying to earn a living. Just like everyone else.
You just gave me all the more reason to NOT give via a telemarketer. I want my money to go to the non-profit organization, not the phone solicitor!

Since: Feb 08

Allentown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Aug 13, 2008
 
Kisthardt wrote:
I own and operate a small telemarketing firm, and this DNC thing has made it harder and harder to earn a livelihood in what was once a prospering industry.
At our peak about five years ago, my firm employed nearly 100 telemarketers. Now we only have 43. These are jobs that have been eliminated as a direct result of government interference.
The good news is that telemarketing does have a future. Lately, we've been expanding our work doing fundraising for non-profit organizations. It's great because non-profits are not subject to the DNC list. So, we can call anyone in the state. We generally keep about 90% of what we raise. The non-profits are perfectly happy to take the remaining 10%, since they did not have to risk anything or make any investment in order to collect the additional revenue.
Please be courteous to telemarketers. They are just trying to earn a living. Just like everyone else.
Are you looking to fill any part time evening positions in the LV area? Are you flexible with hrs? I can definitely work from 6 to 9. If you require me there during the 5 O'clock hr this could be arranged. I have a great authoritative voice and years of experience. While I have not done telemarketing in years, I am employed at a job that requires a lot of interaction with people through telephone and e-mail. Therefore, with my skill level I believe that I can transition successfully into a PT telemarketing position with great results. I look forward to your response with some contact information. Thank You.
WakeUp

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Aug 13, 2008
 
Kisthardt wrote:
These are jobs that have been eliminated as a direct result of government interference.

Please be courteous to telemarketers. They are just trying to earn a living. Just like everyone else.
First of all Kisthardt, these jobs were NOT eliminated as a direct reult of Government interference. The Government simply made it easy for people to show telemarketers to "stick their calls up their ass" by enacting the DNC legislation. The PEOPLE took the jobs away by electing to be placed on the DNC list.

Secondly- when the telemarketers stop calling me in the middle of dinner, or when I am with the kids, or doing something important, I will stop being rude to them. In fact, when they stop calling me alltogether, I will stop being rude.

Oh, and by the way- for those of you who dont know, if you do happen to receive a call from a non-profit, or a political call, you simply tell the caller "pursuant to state law, I demand that you remove my number from your list immediately."
darylb

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Aug 15, 2008
 
they should make a do not contact computers with spam also
darylb

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Aug 15, 2008
 
i think they should aso have a do not contact for computer spam

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Centre County Discussions

Search the Centre County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Matt Sandusky, Wife and Children File for Name ... (Jul '13) Jun '14 frilled2b 2
New Attorneys Added to Paterno v. NCAA suit (Aug '13) Jun '14 frilled2b 2
Information sparse on State College-area restau... Jun '14 frilled2b 1
Penn State architecture students get real-life ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Nancy Sabol 1
Helping Hands: Centre LifeLink urges community ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jak Manson 1
Public Hearing to Consider Proposed Reforms for... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Power Politics 4
Volunteers Needed to Build Playground (Jun '13) Aug '13 skittles with cough syrup 2
•••
•••