To story on Cayuga County dairy farm ...

To story on Cayuga County dairy farm targeted by animal rights group

There are 17 comments on the The Post-Standard story from Jan 29, 2010, titled To story on Cayuga County dairy farm targeted by animal rights group. In it, The Post-Standard reports that:

ABC World News with Diane Sawyer Tuesday night featured a three-minute piece on the treatment of animals on large farms and focused on the Mercy for Animals video the animal rights group said was filmed at Willet Dairy in Genoa, Cayuga County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Post-Standard.

bill

Mohawk, NY

#1 Feb 11, 2010
hey guys when you go out to your garden and pull out a beat just becouse it does not yell.. are you treating it bad?? its all doen for the food that you eat everyday why not look in to something better like if the family next door to you are getting anything to eat or not. do some good their
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#2 Feb 15, 2010
bill wrote:
hey guys when you go out to your garden and pull out a beat just becouse it does not yell.. are you treating it bad?? its all doen for the food that you eat everyday why not look in to something better like if the family next door to you are getting anything to eat or not. do some good their
Animals are not beets. They feel pain and suffer as humans do and do not deserve to be mistreated. The fact that they are raised as food does not negate that. It's a false assumption that a person cannot care about people and animals at the same time. I personally can multi-task and do quite often!:)
freedomfighter

United States

#3 Feb 16, 2010
If it weren't for meat eaters, animals would become extinct. They can no longer roam on this earth without getting run over by a car or being destructive to "our environment" Humans habitat is now the dominate territory. We are now obligated to take care of and consume, or take care of and nurture.
Martha

Trumansburg, NY

#4 Feb 28, 2010
bill wrote:
Why don't you learn to spell before you post again????
Martha

Trumansburg, NY

#5 Feb 28, 2010
To Bill from Fulton, NY.....why don't you learn to spell before you post again????
bob

United States

#6 Mar 2, 2010
The media only focuses on the sensational, isolated events, seldomly on the countless benefits of our industry.
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#7 Mar 13, 2010
bob wrote:
The media only focuses on the sensational, isolated events, seldomly on the countless benefits of our industry.
I disagree. The "benefits" of the industry are put forth all the time. It's the suffering of the animals behind the scenes that are seldom touched on. It usually takes an org with a hidden camera and some extreme cases of abuse before people get a look at the lives and deaths of farm animals.
bob

United States

#8 Mar 13, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. The "benefits" of the industry are put forth all the time. It's the suffering of the animals behind the scenes that are seldom touched on. It usually takes an org with a hidden camera and some extreme cases of abuse before people get a look at the lives and deaths of farm animals.
You're right "some extreme cases" not all, just some.
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#9 Mar 13, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text> You're right "some extreme cases" not all, just some.
Sorry, but you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that abuse of that magnitude is routine on every farm. But, having these abuses brought forward does indeed shine the light on the "standard agricultural practices" that many do not know exist. Even without the extreme abuse, farm animals do not have the idyllic and happy lives that many believe.
bob

United States

#10 Mar 14, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that abuse of that magnitude is routine on every farm. But, having these abuses brought forward does indeed shine the light on the "standard agricultural practices" that many do not know exist. Even without the extreme abuse, farm animals do not have the idyllic and happy lives that many believe.
Nothins ever perfect. Those that don't do all they can to keep their animals happy and productive don't last long in the business of feeding this country and increasingly providing more for the rest of the world.
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#11 Mar 15, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text>Nothins ever perfect. Those that don't do all they can to keep their animals happy and productive don't last long in the business of feeding this country and increasingly providing more for the rest of the world.
Productive doesn't exactly equate to happy. I would imagine the cows would be much "happier" if they weren't artificially inseminated every year and their offspring removed after birth. Just an observation here, not trying to pick a fight. I guess you've been in the dairy industry for awhile??

I've seen broiler chickens that weren't growing well, "thumbs" they called them, removed from the chicken house at several weeks. It was amazing to me to see chickens that looked grown and yet they were still peeping. I just don't believe that an animal is intended to go from birth to 5 pounds in around 6 to 8 weeks.
bob

United States

#12 Mar 15, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
Productive doesn't exactly equate to happy. I would imagine the cows would be much "happier" if they weren't artificially inseminated every year and their offspring removed after birth. Just an observation here, not trying to pick a fight. I guess you've been in the dairy industry for awhile??
I've seen broiler chickens that weren't growing well, "thumbs" they called them, removed from the chicken house at several weeks. It was amazing to me to see chickens that looked grown and yet they were still peeping. I just don't believe that an animal is intended to go from birth to 5 pounds in around 6 to 8 weeks.
1st rule of business, customer is always right. Unfortunately, the oraganic niche markets are stagnant in this recession because consumers just don't want to pay extra. Just an f.y.i. it's direct insemination, much safer, cleaner and easier on the animals. Cattle in "the wild" are bred every fall, give birth in the spring, nurse for 2-3 months every year(that is if the predators or cars don't get them first)
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#13 Mar 16, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text> 1st rule of business, customer is always right. Unfortunately, the oraganic niche markets are stagnant in this recession because consumers just don't want to pay extra. Just an f.y.i. it's direct insemination, much safer, cleaner and easier on the animals. Cattle in "the wild" are bred every fall, give birth in the spring, nurse for 2-3 months every year(that is if the predators or cars don't get them first)
I understand the "customer is always right" point, if a person wants to stay in business they have to give the public what they want. And,I don't disagree with the point that AI is probably cleaner & safer for the cows, I was speaking of the fact that they are inmpregnanted yearly and their offspring removed so the milk can be utilized by humans. Again, I don't believe that "productive" always equates to "happy" for these animals.
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#14 Mar 16, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the "customer is always right" point, if a person wants to stay in business they have to give the public what they want. And,I don't disagree with the point that AI is probably cleaner & safer for the cows, I was speaking of the fact that they are inmpregnanted yearly and their offspring removed so the milk can be utilized by humans. Again, I don't believe that "productive" always equates to "happy" for these animals.
Wow~ I should have used spellcheck! lol That word should be impregnated, not "inmpregnanted." Apologies.
bob

United States

#15 Mar 16, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow~ I should have used spellcheck! lol That word should be impregnated, not "inmpregnanted." Apologies.
no worries about the spelling, i'm not one of the readers who bashes on the posters just to be mean spirited.Please, before i go any further, i'd like to know if a you are a PETA, HSUS, Sierra Club supporter who believes that all animal livestock production should be abolished. If indeed you are, then any and all conversation on these topics would be pointless.
Christy

Douglasville, GA

#16 Mar 17, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text>no worries about the spelling, i'm not one of the readers who bashes on the posters just to be mean spirited.Please, before i go any further, i'd like to know if a you are a PETA, HSUS, Sierra Club supporter who believes that all animal livestock production should be abolished. If indeed you are, then any and all conversation on these topics would be pointless.
That's good to know! The spelling police can get pretty nasty sometimes!
That's a fair question and I will be happy to answer. I am a vegan but I DO NOT support Peta or HSUS. I am, however, a supporter of Farm Sanctuary. They are indeed an animal welfare org, but they also have two sanctuaries that take in and care for, abused farm animals.
I spent over 40 years as a meat eater and have only been vegan for the last 5. It was a personal decision and one that I do not push onto anyone. My husband of 31 years is a meat eater and we have no problems respecting each others choices. My views on animal agriculture have changed from what they were many years ago, partly because I took the time to find out where my food was coming from. There was much about animal agriculture that I didn't know and in light of what I found out I couldn't, in good conscience, continue to support it. But, again that is a personal decision and one that I don't expect everyone to agree with. If that means you feel we can no longer disguss these issues, then I will have to respect that.
bob

United States

#17 Mar 18, 2010
Christy wrote:
<quoted text>
That's good to know! The spelling police can get pretty nasty sometimes!
That's a fair question and I will be happy to answer. I am a vegan but I DO NOT support Peta or HSUS. I am, however, a supporter of Farm Sanctuary. They are indeed an animal welfare org, but they also have two sanctuaries that take in and care for, abused farm animals.
I spent over 40 years as a meat eater and have only been vegan for the last 5. It was a personal decision and one that I do not push onto anyone. My husband of 31 years is a meat eater and we have no problems respecting each others choices. My views on animal agriculture have changed from what they were many years ago, partly because I took the time to find out where my food was coming from. There was much about animal agriculture that I didn't know and in light of what I found out I couldn't, in good conscience, continue to support it. But, again that is a personal decision and one that I don't expect everyone to agree with. If that means you feel we can no longer disguss these issues, then I will have to respect that.
It's all about freedom and choice. I was raised on beef, my wife is a marathon runner who eats and loves it. Our freedom, choice and should always be our right. I'm a "large" dairy and crop farmer. I have pride in the fact that we've been extremely successful at what we do. I have a beautiful family, farm and healthy happy herd of cows. I know of a few idiots who abuse their pets, but feel that the right to own a pet should not be taken away because of a few bad apples. I'll paint my cows pink and tie ribbons in their hair if that's what the consumer wants and is willing to fairly compensate my family for. I fell my animals are much better off than the dear and elk in the wild that are constantly being chased by predators, humans, disease, starvation and extreme wheather. Farm raised elk live almost twice as long as wild do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cayuga County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Illegal immigrant working at Cayuga County farm... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ronnie 3
News T.W. Conroy auction house owner Tim Conroy. (Jan '10) Jul '13 ash 5
News Feds Finalize Cayuga Co. Superfund Cleanup Plan (Apr '13) Apr '13 honestzerver 1
News Centuries old cemetery vandalized in Brutus (Aug '12) Aug '12 wagner wolford fa... 2
News Trooper injured, one in custody following hour-... (Apr '12) Apr '12 KY WELLER 20
News Welfare fraud bust comes with a warning (Oct '11) Jan '12 Heather Charles 2
News Cayuga Neighbors Today: Auburn woman, boyfriend... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Sexy biotch 3
More from around the web