Local campaign against legalized marijuana begins | Carrollton Free Press Standard News

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

The Anti-Drug Coalition of Carroll County and the Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board of Tuscarawas and Carroll Counties are preparing for a possible statewide ballot initiative at the November 2012 general election to authorize the use of marijuana as medicine for certain types of illnesses.
Comments
1 - 20 of 82 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
sad

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

This is a ridiculous one-sided article. There is plenty of proof that medical marijuana is beneficial- and not just for pain management. I'd love to see the FPS print an article with 2 opposing views, instead of endorsing one. Media should inform- not try to influence. That's exactly what's happening. You disagree with medical marijuana, so you print this article without doing your homework on the other side of the argument. Marijuana wouldn't be a "gateway" drug if you took it out of the hands of drug dealers and made it available. Drug dealers are pushers- end of story. The gateway myth is exactly that, a myth. Only due to being pushed into another drug by the person you have to buy your marijuana from. Alcohol is far more hazardous to your health and public safety. Not 1 death has been related to direct marijuana use. You don't see the government complaining about drug companies making oxycontin or morphine when they're much more harmful than marijuana, why? because it's hard to regulate a plant to profit. When are you people going to learn that prohibition doesn't work?
sad

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Judged:

Educate yourselves:
From ohiocompassion.org

In a 2002 review of medical literature, medical cannabis was shown to have established effects in the treatment of nausea, vomiting, premenstrual syndrome, unintentional weight loss, insomnia, and lack of appetite. Other "relatively well-confirmed" effects were in the treatment of "spasticity, painful conditions, especially neurogenic pain, movement disorders, asthma,[and] glaucoma".

Preliminary findings indicate that cannabis-based drugs could prove useful in treating inflammatory bowel disease, migraines, fibromyalgia, and related conditions.

Medical cannabis has also been found to relieve certain symptoms of multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injuries by exhibiting antispasmodic and muscle-relaxant properties as well as stimulating appetite.

Other studies have shown cannabis or cannabinoids may be useful in treating alcohol abuse, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, collagen-induced arthritis, asthma, atherosclerosis, bipolar disorder, colorectal cancer, HIV-Associated Sensory Neuropathy depression, dystonia, epilepsy, digestive diseases, gliomas, hepatitis C, Huntington's disease, leukemia, skin tumors, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Parkinson's disease, pruritus, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), psoriasis, sickle-cell disease, sleep apnea, and anorexia nervosa.
Mike

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

SHAME ON YOU FREE PRESS
Shame on you. Why not report FACTS rather than "Reefer Madness" LIES? You should be ashamed of yourselves. Why print lies?

I hope it passes, it probably will, statistics show 79% of Ohioans approve.
A- nonymous

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Wow, sad article supporting the racist and anti American policies that have brought our nation to the brink. The war on drugs is the new Jim Crow, designed to militarize our police, stuff our private prisons, and keep Americans in fear of the government. Rise Up!(also boycott this biased obsolete rag)

Expect us, gathering sigs in a town near you soon :P
Worth more than corn

Brook Park, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Now, everyone on earth at this point knows that marijuana has medical value.
When you stand in public and claim that marijuana has no medical value, even a teenage kid knows you are lying. Then, that teenager loses respect for you and your opinions. This is a bad result.
Of course, we know you used the term "smoked" marijuana, so that you could point to that technicality if called out on it down the road. But, you see, the people did not pick up on it, and they know you are not being honest.
Also, there are many studies showing that marijuana is not a gateway drug. Nobody is using that argument anymore. Every knows that prescription pain pills and alchohol are the gateway drugs.
Is it 2012 in Carrol County?
If you would like to petition with us on the Carrolton Courthouse steps, please email volunteer@ohiocompassion. org we look forward to seeing you at the county fair.
I believe about 72% of people in Carrol county are in favor of medical marijuana. Come fight for the will of the people. www.facebook.com/ohiocmc
wesley renfro

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Mike wrote:
SHAME ON YOU FREE PRESS
Shame on you. Why not report FACTS rather than "Reefer Madness" LIES? You should be ashamed of yourselves. Why print lies?
I hope it passes, it probably will, statistics show 79% of Ohioans apI wholeheartedly agree! prove.
I wholeheartedly agree.
gram420

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

these people are just spewing out the same old 1030's reefer madness propaganda... gateway drug, blah, blah, blah...

“Science has shown us that marijuana often leads to usage of more addictive drugs, legal and illicit. We are already witnessing the misuse of medical marijuana in other states where it has been legalized. This should not be Ohio’s answer to pain management,” said Brian Kress, chair of the ADAMHS board.

What science? FED's have not allowed science to really even do factual studies, yet they grow it and supply it for about 7 people in the country. So they just throw some seeds in a pot of dirt and then give it to these 7 people without studying it?

Give me a break... it's all politics and judicial profiting. They would rather bust people, fine them and send them to jail for the taxpayers to pay for than legalize, tax and pay off their budget deficits. They need to spend their time and efforts on murderers and rapists and other crime, not tell us what we can smoke for pain relief.

I would bet Mr Kress went home and downed a few martini's, smoked a few cigs and felt good about himself...
Chuck

Walbridge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

How can a new paper publish such lies and propaganda? There is not one single fact in the entire article that can be backed up with data.

Science has not proven that the use of marijuana leads to harder drugs, it has proved that the use of prescribed drugs lead to addiction and harder drugs. Riding a bicycle is more of a gateway to harder drugs.

The FDA has never concluded that smoking marijuana is harmful. There are several papers puplished on the benifits of marijuana. Most recently. Showing that casual marijuana smoking does not cause any harm to the lungs.

The only reason marijuana is the second reason why people are in rehab is due to court order. Marijuana is no more additing then peaches. If the courts did not order people to go there would be no one in rehab for marijuana addiction-

“"You're Ok to me"”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Chuck wrote:
How can a new paper publish such lies and propaganda? There is not one single fact in the entire article that can be backed up with data.
Science has not proven that the use of marijuana leads to harder drugs, it has proved that the use of prescribed drugs lead to addiction and harder drugs. Riding a bicycle is more of a gateway to harder drugs.
The FDA has never concluded that smoking marijuana is harmful. There are several papers puplished on the benifits of marijuana. Most recently. Showing that casual marijuana smoking does not cause any harm to the lungs.
The only reason marijuana is the second reason why people are in rehab is due to court order. Marijuana is no more additing then peaches. If the courts did not order people to go there would be no one in rehab for marijuana addiction-
Hey Chuck may I see your credentials, please? Prove to me marijuana is not addictive. Your letter proves it leads to illegal behaviour and the necessity to be arrested more than once for the action. "If the courts did not order people to go there would be no one in rehab for marijuana addiction". Smoking marijuana is against the law, even casually, if you're caught more than once you've got a problem.(kinda like drinking or domestic violence).
A Vet

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

I was in Vietnam and the guys I knew who smoked it, for a year, changed for the worse. Their personalities were alot different, to their detriment, when they left country than whan they got there.
Another thing, we already have problems with DUI and you want another substance to control behind the wheel? You see it can kill too.
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

The ones who want it leagalized are the same ones who are illegally using it now. That number far exceeds the ones who would use it medically.
Sheik Yerbouti

Lambertville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

All of the people in the article spouting 30's style 'reefer madness' propaganda have an economic interest in keeping this harmless plant illegal. If it were legal they would not be receiving their bloated paychecks and would have to find real jobs! Ever notice that the anti cannabis people can never come up with credible evidence to support their position?
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

Driving under the influence of alcohol can kill.
Driving under the influence of marijuana can kill.
Isn't this credible eveidence not to support leagalization Sheik Yerbouti?
Know The Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

Please stop spreading lies about marijuana. ZERO people have died from the use of marijuana in recorded history, so it absolutely does not kill. If you don't believe that, look it up, it is a proven fact. I just ask that people stop thinking of themselves and think of the people that are actually suffering with cancer, PTSD, AIDS, Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, etc. What if it was one of your family members suffering? What if it was you personally suffering? Would it be wrong to use if that was the only way to improve the quality of your life? It is proven fact that it has medicinal benefits. It may not be the right medication for everyone, but there actually are people that improve their lives with its use. Marijuana just gets a bad rap because all the media ever writes about or shows on TV is negative things. They don't show the person with cancer that has no appetite from their chemo treatments that can now eat and live somewhat normally without the nausea and weakness. They don't write about the veterans coming back with PTSD that use marijuana to help ease their minds and cope with the things that they've been through and seen. They show and write about the irresponsible kids that decide to go to a party and use it because that's the "cool" thing to do. They show the violent drug dealers. They don't show the good side, so people just automatically stereotype and create negative visions. I just ask that you open your minds a little bit, realize that you're being lied to by the government and most of the media, and do a little research yourself. Stop being selfish and inconsiderate, and think about the people who truly are suffering before you open your mouth or type a negative comment.
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

To get it legalize for medical purposes the Fed has to change the law. Even if the state approves it, it still would be a federal crime.
Pooky

Berea, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

Dateline January 2012: Cannabis Is an Effective Treatment for Cancer Patients - Investigators at the Sheba Medical Center in Tel Aviv, in conjunction with the Israeli Cancer Association.
How is that for credentials? Furthermore, statistiical evidence in the US has shown that teen use of cannabis has actually DECLINED in states that have legalized the medical use of cannabis.
Improper use of insulin can kill, should we outlaw that?
People who are foolish enough to drive under the influence of any substance, legal or not, are already doing so. Legalizing the medical use of cannabis will not change that. Regulating cannabis will at least make it available to the millions of people who cannot get relief from many devasting illness in any other way.
Wake Up Ohio! Do your own thinking instead of relying on 75 year old RACIST propaganda.
gram420

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

Euro K 2Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chuck may I see your credentials, please? Prove to me marijuana is not addictive. Your letter proves it leads to illegal behaviour and the necessity to be arrested more than once for the action. "If the courts did not order people to go there would be no one in rehab for marijuana addiction". Smoking marijuana is against the law, even casually, if you're caught more than once you've got a problem.(kinda like drinking or domestic violence).
and people drink and drive and kill people, oh that's right drinking is legal... and if most of the people who beat up their spouses just chilled out and smoked a little, I would bet they wouldn't hit anyone..and I would guess YOU have never smoked, otherwise you would think differently...how many beers did you have last night?
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

Insulin doesn't alter judgement or your motor skills like Marijuana. I sure hope someone dosen't operate machinery on the job after a joint. How is this RACIST propaganda anyway Pooky?
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

Don't smoke and drive gram420. Would you like to add that to DUI if legalized. How many more deaths do you want on the highways?
Worth more than corn

Brook Park, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2012

Judged:

An American wrote:
Don't smoke and drive gram420. Would you like to add that to DUI if legalized. How many more deaths do you want on the highways?
Actually, every study done to date shows traffic deaths DECREASING in states where medical marijuana is legal. here is one study-

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/why-med...

you see, the people who tell you that this would make roads unsafe, increase teen use, and are paid to say that. it is how they make a living.

Those of us who are fighting for truth and the will of they people, well, we are just volunteers

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••