Is PD future in jeopardy?

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

An initiative is underway to disband the Carrollton Police Department and have the Carroll County Sheriffa s Department take over the operations.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Oct 12, 2008
carroll countian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Disbanding the Carrollton Police department is an excellent idea. Spending 1/2 million dollars a year for a group of power crazed individuals that harrass drivers of out of county cars and practice intimidation tactics to anyone they come in contact is not economically feasible. Pay the sheriffs office a 1/4 million and use the leftover money to pave the streets, then we wouldn't need the additional street levy. Malvern is not being covered anymore with a round the clock sheriff's deputy because they quit paying for that service.
Mr Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

I think we NEED the P.D!! This would be ridiculus, an outrage! If the village wants to save money, look at the Village F.D. and how they pay. That is where the money is being lost! It's not good when thirty men run in for a call that lasts a half hour and get paid for two hours.
Common_sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Dear carroll countian,
The only people that get "harrassed" are the law breakers. And it's not called harrassing, it's called doing their jobs. Are you stating those condemnations on true facts or because you are upset that you got busted breaking the law? The "power crazed individuals" you speak of all have families to support and are just making means. The Carrollton P.D. is just like any other P.D. in this nation,they all do things that people do not like, but most of the people that fuss are the ones getting punished for breaking the law! I say keep the P.D. You will have my outgoing support on this matter Chief Yeager!
carroll countian

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

Actually, I have personally not been "busted", but I have been treated disrespectfully by individual Carrollton police officers when it was totally unwarranted. It is also a disgrace to the community when people are pulled over after events that are held at the school or the fairgrounds and the only reason is due to having out of county plates, thus giving the town a bad name and people not coming to Carrollton to spend their money. I am not against any police officer or fire fighter, just the ones that change personalities when they have their badge and uniform on. Also, according to the article these individuals would not be losing their jobs, the sheriff's office would hire them, that is if they could follow the sheriff's rules, which are those of respect and courtesy to all. The comment about looking at the fire department, take a look, you'll find that they are really underpaid. I know that I would want the entire department responding if it was my house or one of my neighbors, friends, or relatives. They do an excellent job.
CHS 1987

Bedford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

MR Citizen really ought to wake up and pray to God that he never would need the fire department, because if he did he would not care what the trivial wage the fire department members receive. Also please show me the last time the CFD had thirty members all on the same call. If MR Citizen had any clue to the payroll of the village he would realize it is a village ordinance that pays the Fire, Street, Water and even the Police Departments a minimum callout of 2 hours. This is common practice among all employers that are on call. IF you want to save money in regards to Fire Departments call the commissioners and ask them about funding of some Fire dapartments.
Mr Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

CHS 1987- Where do you get off thinking the commissioners can help the village save money? And what about the funding of other departments? Oh maybe by tightening the village F.D.s coverage area to city limits and having other fire depts pick up the slack. Oh and there are plenty of f.d.s in this county that are VOLUNTEER only and will respond with the same efficency! I know there are definitely some things that happen at the village FD that cause the taxpayers extra money for no reason. But, at any rate I was just giving my bill of rights permitted opinion about how dumb it would be to disband the carrollton PD, especially when this town is growing like it is.
carroll countian

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Well, according to the Times Reporter the disbanding of the Carrollton PD is a mute point because the sheriff is currently not in favor. As to fire depts. in the county being totally volunteer, which ones would that be? I feel that for the minimal any firefighter gets paid that alone would make them volunteer. They certainly aren't in it for the money.
CHS 1987

Bedford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Mr. Citizen - Does anyone realize that even if the fire department is only "out on a call" for 1/2 hour, they have to clean up & put their equipment away, fuel up trucks, etc. They are also required to have several hours of training each year to keep their status. That time is not paid for. I think if you actually figured the time they spend taking care of everything to save someone's life or home (maybe yours?)you would see they deserve a raise! If you have a problem with the fire department and the politics of the department take your comments in person to council and address your issues. You stated your were only interested in the PD side of things, if this is the case leave the FD alone! Oh, and by the way the FD is paid to cover the townships surrounding the village!!
John Smith

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

I have seen these policeman at work and think they do a great job. Do they stop cars for traffic violations ? Hope so. And on these stops all sorts of things get found...Drugs, guns and other items. If they get rid of the police department, I for one am moving. Getting rid of the police department will cost this village more than they know. Just the idea of this shows how ignorant our leaders are!Can't wait to vote again.
Mr Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

CHS 1987- boy you must have blinders on. If you think all that goes on during a half hour call, your wrong. I am a former firefighter from one of the outlining townships, I know the routine. I did the job with no pay at all for 23 years, just like MOST do now! So when you say underpaid thats as low as it gets. I didnt say I was only interested in the PD side, I said they shouldnt get rid of the pd and that if they want to save money that could be an idea and Im sure there are other ways too. I know they are paid by townships, well most of them not all, one is funded by the commissioners, but it serves the WHOLE county and is strictly mutual aid. And that is the county fd and its a good thing we have them to support some the lower manned dept.s. And again might I add they like many others do it for NOTHING!!!!!!
CHS 1987

Bedford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2008

Mr Citizen - I am not a horse and do not wear blinders. If you would read my last post you would understand that the half hour on the call is only part of the total time spent on the call, as was explained earlier. If you have 23 years experience in a twp. dept and are still interested I am sure the village has openings for someone with your knowledge and expetise. 99% of the guys on the village have NEVER cared about the trivial wage we are paid, we do it for the community and not the money. Maybe you should stop at the city building and fill out an application and join our dept. and maybe you can solve the jealousy problems you have!!
VFD 04

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Mr. Citizen if you fought fire for 23 years, you shouldn't have a problem with any fd. Ive been on the county for four years. I have friends on many depts, we ALL get along and we ALL do it for the same reason- to PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY- something you should know, since you say you have two decades plus. I have never cared about the villages pay, nor have I heard any of them talk about it. Thank You for commenting on my department. It is something I try very hard to do my best at, and I will try to do what I can to keep it going. Thank you chs for trying to talk to mr citizen, but I've heard there are no more spots available on your dept. Oh and the polisce dept. needs to stay!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••