Joyce C. (Norton) Effinger

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

To the Editor: Let me preface this letter by saying I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of any activist organization; I am simply a concerned citizen of these United States of America, born and raised for the most part on a 90-acre farm in East Twp., Carroll County, OH.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Alice

West Alexandria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

If you are so concerned about God's country, then why don't you start a campaign to clean up trash and litter on roads, junk cars and other debris strewn around Carroll County, etc. Why did you move to Canton and move away from God's country?
the almighty dollar

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

the litter, junk cars and other debris aren't making the water unusable and unconsumable. just wait, it will happen.
Common Sense

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

And your solution for powering this country is what? NOTHING provides the power to cost ratio as fossil fuels.
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

If we listened to fear mongering we would still be in the hourse and buggy days.
the almighty dollar

New Philadelphia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

I have no solution for powering the country, I don't work in that field. You? My concern for the health and well-being of the people of this community is a stance I'd assume people would respect. I guess my assumption is wrong. Fossil fuels are terrible, and I personally believe that we should find different sources of fuel, no matter the cost. If it wasn't for the oil and gas companies having so much money invested in taking control of the voting in Washington, I believe that we would be much closer to being able to limit our consumption of fossil fuels. BUT, that has nothing to do with my stance on hydraulic fracturing of natural gas. Communities all over the United States are suffering the repercussions of hydraulic fracturing. Do a simple google search and read some blogs from real people in real communities just like ours that are unable to drink their water. This isn't fear mongering. Not even close. I just want people to be informed, and to not just listen to the propaganda spewed out by the gas industry saying how safe the process is. If there weren't so many incidents, I wouldn't be as skeptical. There are numerous articles that I've read, both by mainstream media and personal stories that have helped to form my opinion against the hydraulic fracturing of natural gas.
Augusta

New Philadelphia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2011

Judged:

From the website http://nofracking.com/ this is a portion of the results of their studies:
April 7th, 2011 - Fracking, also known as hydraulic fracturing, fracing, and fracture stimulation, is when shale gas drilling companies come to an area, buy up drilling rights from landowners, cut new roads and raze patches of land in formerly undisturbed natural environments, cart in and out tens of millions of gallons of water and tons of chemicals and "proppants" like sand with hundreds of big rig trucks that produce tons of diesel emissions and wear down existing roads, drill holes that go vertically down and then horizontally under multiple properties, mix the water, chemicals, and proppants together on-site to make fracking fluid, run compressors that produce more diesel emissions to pump the fluid into the wells at high pressure to shatter underground deposits of shale and release bound-up natural gas, pump some of the fluid back out and cart it off to who knows where while leaving the rest underground, install permanent equipment to "clean" and capture most of the natural gas that comes back up the well and to release gas into the air when there's excess pressure, and then pack up, go home, and cash checks while the land stays pockmarked with drill pads, the air's been polluted with volatile organic compounds, and the water supply of everyone downstream is left in jeopardy-
haha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2011

Judged:

FEAR MONGERING?? REALLY? i call it facts american.. somthing people like you dont understand or care about. what do you plan on drinking oil??? youll be the first one crying when your property is worthless or everyone moves away and all the busisness moves away. i cant belive the lack of common sence you people with palin mentalitys have. if you dont have clean water to live why do we need oil or gas. DUHHHH! i guess youll die of thirst but youll go to your grave wealthy...HA HA AHAAAAAAA wat to go american keep showing everyone you lack a brain. haha ahaaaa aHAAAHAAAAAAA what a dummy. are you a teacher also?
Common Sense

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2011

Judged:

Until you have a viable alternate energy solution this conversation is a moot point. We can't take this country back to the stone age just because there is risk in extracting our natural resources. Now, we need to be good stewards of our environment. Risk and reward need to be balanced but that isn't what you are talking about. You are talking about chucking an entire economy built on reliable, cheap energy out the window and replacing it with.....with.....you have nothing. See the problem?
mrgoodcitizen

Hermitage, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2011

Judged:

Thank you for your heartfelt letter.... Concern for our drinking-water is no joke!
the almighty dollar

New Philadelphia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2011

Judged:

Having an alternative is not my job, so therefore it is not a moot point. We won't be taking our country back to the stone age anytime soon, as we have enough natural gas already extracted to easily last us another 200 years. I guess my question would be, why not wait until there is empirical evidence regarding the drilling of natural gas? The federal government just started research regarding possible problems. That research is slated to be complete by mid to late 2012. It seems pretty interesting, knowing this information, that the natural gas companies are pushing for as many drill sites as possible as fast as possible. If you really believe that we should be good stewards of our environment, then you would agree with my stance of waiting until the empirical evidence is shown. Otherwise you would be making irrational remarks out of ignorance and fear.
Augusta

New Philadelphia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2011

Judged:

haha wrote:
FEAR MONGERING?? REALLY? i call it facts american.. somthing people like you dont understand or care about. what do you plan on drinking oil??? youll be the first one crying when your property is worthless or everyone moves away and all the busisness moves away. i cant belive the lack of common sence you people with palin mentalitys have. if you dont have clean water to live why do we need oil or gas. DUHHHH! i guess youll die of thirst but youll go to your grave wealthy...HA HA AHAAAAAAA wat to go american keep showing everyone you lack a brain. haha ahaaaa aHAAAHAAAAAAA what a dummy. are you a teacher also?
I counted fourteen errors in your letter. Who is lacking a brain??? You certainly lose credibility when you are NOT smarter than a fifth grader. No credibility.
amanda

Morral, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2011

Judged:

I think that people need to become educated, and not by the natural gas companies, on all the damage and dangers that can occur from drilling these wells! The natural gas companies are only telling people what the companies want them to hear! Unfortunately in this economical state the money being offered is all that is being heard! I would strongly recommend for anyone considering signing leases with these companies to watch the documentary "Gaslands"! For those of you who think this is not or should not be a concern I ask you to take the time to watch this and then express your opinions!!
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Judged:

So much for free enterprise.
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

The enviromental extremist have done their job well. They did a good job of frightening the public in believing mining is dangerous to the well being of the community. I don't blame the community for the misinformation they have received but I do blame the anti-capitalist environmental movement. You don't have to take my word for it, just watch the documentary "Mine your own business", and its put out by an indipendent group. This film exposes them for what they are.
amanda

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

I don't believe this has anything to do with environmental extremist and the community being misinformed by them! There are numerous documented cases of people who have allowed these natural gas drills to be drilled on their properties and now have their wells collapsed or are unable to drink their water due to the contaminates in them! Animals that have drank this same water are loosing their hair! People have developed very serious and very real health concerns from being exposed! You would take these so called fear induced and misinformed risks? I think not!!!
An American

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

You made my point.
Amy

Cambridge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

Thank you for your letter, Joyce. I was also born and raised in East township and I am raising my children on a piece of land where I grew up. It concerns me to see all of this drilling happening in our county. I would reccomend that people become educated about it. There are serious health risks that go along with this type of drilling. This is a fact. This is real.I encourage people to watch the documentary "Gasland". Real stories of real people who(just to name a few)have water they can light on fire, have lesions on their brains, have to have water delivered to them in order to drink, cook, & shower. Some won't even show their faces because they have "settled" with the gas companies and are not allowed to talk about it. It goes on & on. I pray that God's hand protects us!
the almighty dollar

New Philadelphia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

An American wrote:
You made my point.
And your point was what? That you are so indoctrinated by the idea of a free market that you will support it even when it comes to your family's health, safety and welfare being on the line? Thought so. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a free market, but I also think that it shouldn't interfere with people protecting themselves and their families. You, however, don't seem to care about any of that- as long as someone is making money.
WOW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2011

Judged:

haha wrote:
I would be embarrassed to post something like this that shows how uneducated
(stupid)you are. Fifth grade....more like third. Can you say yeee hawww?

You need a teacher........
an American

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

It's just a point of view WOW. You don't have to have a cow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••