Tim & Chris Logan

Tim & Chris Logan

There are 10 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Mar 10, 2009, titled Tim & Chris Logan. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

To the Editor: We would like to thank Bonnie Little, Superintendent Fogler, Principal Davis and Anna Guthrie for their assistance in adding an elective Bible curriculum to CHS.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

CHS1977

Woonsocket, RI

#1 Mar 11, 2009
Couldn't they have just said they were happy about the idea instead of taking a shot at "liberals." The nation was founded on many other principles other than the right to practice the religion of our choice, and most of those principles were liberal thinking ideas.
chrome

Grove City, OH

#2 Mar 11, 2009
^ I was thinking the EXACT thing.

Good grief.
Concerned

Uhrichsville, OH

#3 Mar 11, 2009
I would like to know how these people(the Littles and Logans) feel about their very own neighbors who may have a different religion and yet the same right to practice it as they do. I do not doubt that learning about and practicing religion will help people find a better and higher sense of being and purpose, but let's make sure it is done in the right way.
Some of the comments I have heard from these two letters seem to be coming from an isolationist perspective that cleary is not going to work in the modern era we live in. We are in, or are approaching a time period where WE(the planet)will be a true global community. It is important to hold on to the values that make US who we are, but we can't be doing that at the expense of our neighbors who may have that same need to hold on to their values.
My point would be then, and my concern comes from, wondering how the school will inform our children about the differences that exsist not only accross the world but in our own community. If they are going to push one religion offered by one course, are they then going to stand up as BOLDLY for their other neighbors and the rest of the global community we live in and offer some type of world religion course, not to advertise or promote the other FREE choices of religion, but to take away some of the fear of the unknown that clearly exsists in most people. We Jesus said to love thy neighbor, he wasn't just refering to the ones you knew real well or looked just like. Don't try to create a new generation of isolationist afraid of everything that is different in the world.
i am here

Glenolden, PA

#4 Mar 11, 2009
I am excited about a religious course at the high school. My daughter a religious major is even more excited, she as we are are Christians, but as she says religious studies should not be just christian studies but all religions, so that people are aware of all the different religions so that a person can decide what is best for them once they know and understand all believes. Hopefully that is what will be taught so that each person can find their creator in the believe and way they understand and believe the most.God works in all kinds of religious forms.
carroll countian

Uhrichsville, OH

#5 Mar 12, 2009
I thought this class was to be about the bible as literature. I was under the impression that public schools are not allowed by law to teach religious values, etc. A course in comparing the religions of the world would be a lot more useful for our students.
lonesome ray

Peninsula, OH

#6 Mar 12, 2009
l'm wondering people keep saying "we shouldn't be teaching religious values" therefore what religious values shouldn't be taught.. Thou shouldn't murder or maybe not knock up very women you see,or the great commandment 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself"
The Bible is the oldest and most printed book in the world so teach IT.....
Hopeful

North Royalton, OH

#7 Mar 13, 2009
Public schools are no place to promote one religion over another. This Bible course cannot be set up as a platform to promote the 'way' everyone should live. If it is approached as a pure study of literature or taught from a historical perspective that certainly could make an interesting course. However,the above quote is the very reason that if any course should be offered dealing with religion, it should be one that encompasses many different religions. Not comparing religions; that only promotes the idea that some relgions may be lacking in some way when being compared to others. Rather, a course that just explains there are indeed other religions in the world. That Christianity is one of the many,many options. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the world is full of many different people, with many different ideas on religious activities. It would be a serious disservice to any child growing up in today's world to be raised thinking that the religion they knew was the only way. What a horrible way to shut out so many wonderful people in this world. If a world religions course would be offered,then perhaps the children lucky enough to have it at their disposal would realize that those 'religious values' which were quoted earlier are in fact a part of most religions, just said in different ways. So many religions are offshoots of others or are so closely related that it would make your head spin as to why there have ever been any Holy Wars. So many have similar stories that are in their texts, and through those stories they promote the same moral values.
Did you know that many religions, some even OLDER than Christianity have their own stories of a 'Great Flood'? What a coincidence...someone who never bothered to learn about other religions would never know that;therefore, they might think that the Bible's version was the first and only account of such a catastrophic event.
Also, for the sake of our children, if a course were to be taught dealing with religion, it would be much better to discuss various religions. What happens when our children go out into the world and meet someone Hindu, Buddhist, or Muslim? Should they be afraid of them because they are not educated enough to know what those people believe in (that they, in fact, are not much different at all), should they hate them simply because they are different? Or, when they meet them (and they will...we are in the age of a global village)should they feel comfortable just seeing them as a person and not let their religion phase a potential friendship because they were taught that Christianity is NOT the only belief in the world?

If a course should be offered dealing with this genre...it must incorporate many religions and their corresponding belief systems, not just those of Christianity. No doubt that Christianity should be mentioned, as it is one of the major religions, but it does not deserve to be the sole focus.

Just a quick moment of clarity dealing with Lonesome Ray's last statement:
The Bible may be the most printed book in the world today, but it is certainly NOT the oldest.
lonesome ray

Hartville, OH

#8 Mar 16, 2009
The Bible was the first massed produced book ...liken unto the automobile.....mass production has made the Bible available to any one...
Scientist tell us the universe as we know it was came into being by a big bang...also researchers tell us there was a big flood... the DNA people say that we'er all came from one women..etc.
Where's the Beef....Read your Bible it's in there.
good point

Cadiz, OH

#9 Mar 17, 2009
I would have to agree, the bible is almost exactly like the automobile...when it starts to get rusty or outdated, you give it a fresh paint job or redesign it a little..I really love what they've done with the bible over the years...this new streamlined version really makes it easy for people to misunderstand most of what people really had to say a few thousand years ago. Thanks for making that analogy to clear it all up for us.
lonesome ray

Hartville, OH

#10 Mar 18, 2009
The bottom line is this living my life as a Christian has made me a Winner, a Winner now an a Winner after I pass on....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carroll County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | County fa... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Randy Miller 4
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... (May '15) May '15 A Stroll In The Park 3
News It's time... to say 'NO' to drugs (Apr '15) Apr '15 Dan Rather 9
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Long Time Resident 3
News Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Kris 12
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Village a... (Mar '15) Mar '15 OHGuy 1
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Free Pres... (Feb '15) Feb '15 old lady 2
More from around the web