Over crowding in Carbon County prison

Over crowding in Carbon County prison

There are 20 comments on the Times News story from Apr 3, 2009, titled Over crowding in Carbon County prison. In it, Times News reports that:

Okay maybe someone will listen. My son is currently an inmate in Nesquehoning at the CCCF.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Peter Rabbit

East Stroudsburg, PA

#1 Apr 12, 2009
Its supposed to be unpleasant. Its designed that way so that someone doesn't want to go back. Its not a country club.
easter

Kingston, PA

#2 Apr 12, 2009
I know, I mean, I would be heartbroken and upset if one of my children would have to deal with the unpleasant surroundings, but again, you have to expect that. The problem today is we continue to try to continuously satisfy the wrong group of people. The jail is there to hold wrongdoers for the amount of time the justice system determines. It is not about trying to make them happy, period. It is a functional building, not a hotel nor should I be concerned about overcrowding. Rather than be concerned about the cellmates having to learn to share and deal (play) well with others, my true concern is the sad fact of the overcrowding, that amount of people have to be housed, that the respect for one another is lost and respect for authority is gone. that we have to house the amount of people is the issue, not the building or the amount of mashed potatoes the prisoners get.
Get a life

Jim Thorpe, PA

#3 Apr 15, 2009
awww, too bad.... they should have to all sleep together in a cell. Cry me a river....to bad! They take all the HARDWORKING tax payer's money. They should just take them out up the broad to the firing range and well..........take them out.
rene

Germansville, PA

#4 Aug 13, 2009
get a life, maybe u should get a life. If u have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all.
Get a life

Jim Thorpe, PA

#5 Aug 13, 2009
rene wrote:
get a life, maybe u should get a life. If u have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all.
awe....did I hit a nerve? So how long has someone your related to been in the slammer?

Or do you just like giving away money to the scum?

If you don't like what people say- then don't READ it!!!!! just go to work then bring your paycheck to the prison.

truth hurts....
mother of an addict

Weatherly, PA

#6 Sep 10, 2009
drug addiction is a disease and the majority of those housed in any prison are there because of their addictions and the lengths they will go to feed that addiction.
if we had cancer patients treated the same way there would be an uproar. I believe the majority of these prisoners need help, ie mental treatment for undiagnosed conditions for which they have self medicated. Let us have compasssion and try to change this broken system.
The Patriot

Colver, PA

#7 Sep 11, 2009
mother of an addict wrote:
drug addiction is a disease and the majority of those housed in any prison are there because of their addictions and the lengths they will go to feed that addiction.
if we had cancer patients treated the same way there would be an uproar. I believe the majority of these prisoners need help, ie mental treatment for undiagnosed conditions for which they have self medicated. Let us have compasssion and try to change this broken system.
I'm going to try and be nice.I left Vietnam on a WW2 LST and we were stacked 4 high in the crew quarters.Prisoners have better living conditions than our troops have then and now.When the prisoners get out they should have gotten over their addiction and should seek professional care thru the court system.Then get a job no matter how menial,it will give them some self worth then maybe later improve their education so they can get a better job,Otherwise it will be back to a cot and 3 hots
mother of an addict

White Haven, PA

#8 Sep 15, 2009
You were extremely nice. Interesting that you brought up your service to our country. I just watched a show last night about the number of our soldiers coming back from Iraq and afganistan and developing drug and alcohol problems due to PTS disorder. They deserve all our help. Drugs and alcohol are a form of self medicating that is becoming rampant.
My son has been in jail for 4 months now on poss. of herion. He hasn't had any drugs for 4 months. You would think that would cure him but I will bet you he will come out and relapse. as for professional care thru the court system its just not there. That's why the cycle never ends. Thanks for listenung to me rant.
jess

Wayne, NJ

#9 Oct 3, 2009
hey get a life u seem like a real cry baby i dont know how u could be so uncaring and cold. most people have a close frien or relative in jail oh maybe thats it u dont have close friends or relatives because u r miserable. Lots of people make mistakes and im pretty sure that the only difference between them and u is that they got caught n u didnt!Just because people go to jail that doesnt make them scumbags mistakes mitakes mistakes to those who do admit to making mistakes...... your mistakes DO NOT define you
Bobblehead

Lehighton, PA

#10 Oct 4, 2009
jess wrote:
hey get a life u seem like a real cry baby i dont know how u could be so uncaring and cold. most people have a close frien or relative in jail oh maybe thats it u dont have close friends or relatives because u r miserable. Lots of people make mistakes and im pretty sure that the only difference between them and u is that they got caught n u didnt!Just because people go to jail that doesnt make them scumbags mistakes mitakes mistakes to those who do admit to making mistakes...... your mistakes DO NOT define you
You are a knucklehead. Most people do not have friends or relatives in the slammer, unless they are a scumbag. Mistakes don't put you in jail, committing crimes will. The fact is your mistakes do define who you are, especially when they are crimes. People don't go to jail for making one mistake. They go to jail because they have made many. The problem with claiming these people have an addiction to drugs and equate it to a disease is that takes personal responsibility out of the equation. These people are not in jail for using herion because the use is not a crime. The crime is possessing it or selling it. What makes it worse is that they commit crimes like burglary and robbery against innocent victims and that's what they are in jail for. That person who wrote about the relative being clean for 4 months because he was locked up and knows he will use again, should be a good relative and friend and keep him in the house so he doesn't use again if they really cared. Its easy to call something a disease and then blame the government and the criminal justice system for no helping them.
mother of an addict

White Haven, PA

#11 Oct 6, 2009
i think the nature of the drug addict is something you are not grasping. First of all congratulations on you not having a friend or relative with this disease because it seems to me that it has reached epidemic proportions.
Secondly, no matter how hard you love someone addicted to drugs you cannot keep them locked away forever. my experience with addicts is that they are trying to stop feeling something and the drugs allow them to feel "good" for a period of time.
Then the problems begin, the stealing, the lying, the ADDICTION. I think rather than name calling we need to focus on helping those addicted. As for the government, no they are not doing enough to stop the drug trade and the criminal justice is just a revolving door, where is the rehabilitation?
DRUG ADDICTS R SCUM

Hazleton, PA

#12 Oct 8, 2009
mother of an addict wrote:
i think the nature of the drug addict is something you are not grasping. First of all congratulations on you not having a friend or relative with this disease because it seems to me that it has reached epidemic proportions.
Secondly, no matter how hard you love someone addicted to drugs you cannot keep them locked away forever. my experience with addicts is that they are trying to stop feeling something and the drugs allow them to feel "good" for a period of time.
Then the problems begin, the stealing, the lying, the ADDICTION. I think rather than name calling we need to focus on helping those addicted. As for the government, no they are not doing enough to stop the drug trade and the criminal justice is just a revolving door, where is the rehabilitation?
cancer is a disease---your drug addicted kid is just a stupid loser.

too many drugged up/drunken losers who don't work but cause trouble----so tell your loser kid to DROP DEAD!!!
mother of an addict

White Haven, PA

#13 Oct 8, 2009
wow your ignorance is hurtful and mean. and your misinformation borders on stupidity. You don't know my son or the pain and turmoil he lives with daily.
Addiction is a chronic, often relapsing brain disease that causes compulsive drug seeking and use despite harmful consequences to the individual who is addicted . Drug addiction is BRAIN DISEASE because the abuse of drugs leads to changes in the structure and function of the brain. it is true a person's initial decision to take drugs is voluntary however over time the changes in the brain caused by repeated drug abuse can affect a person’s self control and ability to make sound decisions. I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR HEART TO BECOME MORE OPEN TO OTHERS PAIN!!!
DRUG ADDICTS R SCUM

Hazleton, PA

#14 Oct 8, 2009
mother of an addict wrote:
wow your ignorance is hurtful and mean. and your misinformation borders on stupidity. You don't know my son or the pain and turmoil he lives with daily.
Addiction is a chronic, often relapsing brain disease that causes compulsive drug seeking and use despite harmful consequences to the individual who is addicted . Drug addiction is BRAIN DISEASE because the abuse of drugs leads to changes in the structure and function of the brain. it is true a person's initial decision to take drugs is voluntary however over time the changes in the brain caused by repeated drug abuse can affect a person’s self control and ability to make sound decisions. I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR HEART TO BECOME MORE OPEN TO OTHERS PAIN!!!
VIDEO GAMES ARE ADDICTIVE TOO----SOME KIDS KILL THEMSELVES WHEN THEIR PARENTS TAKE AWAY THEIR GAMES.

and eating at mcdonalds is addictive, with people dying from eating that slop, too.

i pray that your worthless kid overdoses....cause he's just gonna be another scumbag on ssi disability otherwise, if he isn't already.
mother of an addict

White Haven, PA

#15 Oct 9, 2009
he's neither worthless of on SSI. But my god you must walk on water. Where do you get off talking like you do. You are ignorant and mean spirited and you must be a very angry man! Anyone who would wish death on a moter's son deserves whatever comes your way...and watch out cause its coming//\\.*.
DRUG ADDICTS R SCUM

Luzerne, PA

#16 Oct 10, 2009
mother of an addict wrote:
he's neither worthless of on SSI. But my god you must walk on water. Where do you get off talking like you do. You are ignorant and mean spirited and you must be a very angry man! Anyone who would wish death on a moter's son deserves whatever comes your way...and watch out cause its coming//\\.*.
keep on pitying your kid---who chose to become an addict; nobody put a gun to his stupid head.

why don't you go street walking to help your dumb kid have money to overdose.
mother of an addict

Weatherly, PA

#17 Oct 11, 2009
It seems to me when you don't have answers or try to make you think about something that you don't agree with, you tend to pick apart people to avoid answering. You are a very rude person. Drug addicts can get clean but rudeness is etched into your heart!!! This will be my last comment to you so don't bother to attempt any more lame answers.
DRUG ADDICTS R SCUM

Kingston, PA

#18 Oct 12, 2009
mother of an addict wrote:
It seems to me when you don't have answers or try to make you think about something that you don't agree with, you tend to pick apart people to avoid answering. You are a very rude person. Drug addicts can get clean but rudeness is etched into your heart!!! This will be my last comment to you so don't bother to attempt any more lame answers.
i'm rude---but i don't have a criminal record, or cause any decent people grief.

YOUR WORTHLESS KID IS SOMEHOW SO POLITE WHEN BEING AN ADDICT AND STEALING TO SUPPORT HIS ILLEGAL HABIT.

don't bother to reply; you're too hypocitcally polite for me.
mother of an addict

Weatherly, PA

#19 Oct 12, 2009
i believe the word is hypnotically
Bobblehead

Lehighton, PA

#20 Oct 13, 2009
mother of an addict wrote:
i believe the word is hypnotically
I think he intended to say "hypocritically" because that is how you come across. For example, you stated previously that it was you last post, then you go and write down something else. I don't agree that other person's comments and hoping that something happens bad to your son, but you're part of the problem in defending his actions. It's all about personal responsibility and you constantly make excuses for your son's choices, placing no blame on him but rather the illness that you claim the addiction is. You need to wake the hell up to the reality of the situation. Your drug using son is now a criminal, not because of some perceived illness, but because he chose to commit a crime. That's why they have prisons and that's why they are getting overcrowded...because of knuckleheads like you and your son.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carbon County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lehighton district silences frequent... Jun 14 rnn said no 9
News 2 Lehighton directors resign; third to... Jun 8 Blind followers 15
News Third Rig Wreck in Three Days on Same Stretch o... Apr '16 very unstanding 18
News Major Repairs Needed for Lansford Pool Apr '16 John Weissmuller 3
News Group gets grant to beautify Lansford (Dec '14) Apr '16 No Hope 13
News History's Headlines: The Great Mud Run train wreck Mar '16 Trump 2016 1
News Judge could decide Lehighton vacancy Feb '16 BillHill 1
More from around the web