Murray to get packaged liquor vote

Mar 9, 2012 Full story: Mansfield News Journal 25

MURRAY, Ky. - A southwestern Kentucky city will get a vote on whether to allow packaged alcohol sales after the county clerk certified a petition to put the measure on a ballot.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jack

Murray, KY

#1 Mar 9, 2012
I don't drink and will never buy any but I don't think one group of people like the churches should have the power to dictate what people can do. How many restaurants/bars are there in town. many people sit there, get drunk and then drive home. Wouldn't it be better to let them buy it, take it home and drink. I doubt if a store ever opens even if it passed, the city leaders would make it so difficult and expensive that nobody would want to fool with it. Another thing, looks like the judge exec doesn't want it saying how many thousands it's going to cost the county taxpayers to have a vote on it, why, the county residents can't vote one way or the other so why do they have to pay.
Jill

Murray, KY

#2 Mar 10, 2012
You notice that Elkins has determined that the special election will be July 17th when nearly all the college people will be gone and won't get to vote. I think they could have found a way of putting this on the primary or the general election. If the stupid laws of this state are so far from reality that they have to have a special election, then the lawmakers should change that stupid law. There's no way the taxpayers should have to foot the bill because of a stupid law. It's apparent that Elkins and others in this town doesn't want a liquor store but it's ok to get drunk in all the bars in town, and all the sorority houses, then drive. This town and county has always been wet, like it or not. There was a time around here, across the lake where you could buy moonshine from a Trooper's dad who made it. It burns me up the way the leaders around here operate.
Glen Jones

Murray, KY

#3 Mar 10, 2012
if it passes which it will the law allows so many package ac0hol sells so the city has no say so they have to grant there licences ,they do have a say so on where they can be located like not near a school or park.I would think wal mart krogers and like 6 other places will be selling and cvs
Jack

Murray, KY

#4 Mar 10, 2012
Can't really understand what you're trying to say but the fact remains, there's many more restaurants/bars in town than there will ever be liquor stores. I come from a place where you can buy beer and such just about in every store and there's no problems at all. There's much more crime and alcohol related accidents around here than there. I just don't get it, nobody wants freedom around here. People should have a right to vote, same with gambling. You can't legislate morality. They tried that with prohibition and as you can, that didn't work out. I also know for a fact that many people that will vote against it will go away from here and buy and sneak it back home. They don't want to be seen buying it.
Tyson

Murray, KY

#5 Mar 10, 2012
Jack wrote:
Can't really understand what you're trying to say but the fact remains, there's many more restaurants/bars in town than there will ever be liquor stores. I come from a place where you can buy beer and such just about in every store and there's no problems at all. There's much more crime and alcohol related accidents around here than there. I just don't get it, nobody wants freedom around here. People should have a right to vote, same with gambling. You can't legislate morality. They tried that with prohibition and as you can, that didn't work out. I also know for a fact that many people that will vote against it will go away from here and buy and sneak it back home. They don't want to be seen buying it.
People would rather have a theocracy than a free country around here.
Jack

Murray, KY

#6 Mar 10, 2012
What you are really saying, is, the leaders around here rather have God rule instead of we, the people.
Tyson

Washington, DC

#7 Mar 10, 2012
Jack wrote:
What you are really saying, is, the leaders around here rather have God rule instead of we, the people.
Was theocracy too big of a word for you?
Jack

Murray, KY

#8 Mar 11, 2012
Apparently it's too big for you since I got it. You thought you would get me but you didn't. But really, you should stick to words that people can understand. Why try to make yourself look smart when in reality, all you are doing is putting words out there that most people don't understand so you don't get your point across.
Tyson

Murray, KY

#9 Mar 11, 2012
Jack wrote:
Apparently it's too big for you since I got it. You thought you would get me but you didn't. But really, you should stick to words that people can understand. Why try to make yourself look smart when in reality, all you are doing is putting words out there that most people don't understand so you don't get your point across.
Maybe people should crack a book every now and then.
Alum

Murray, KY

#10 Mar 11, 2012
Jill the college people can't vote anyways, only the ~2,700 registered voters of Murray, Ky can
honest one

Murray, KY

#11 Mar 11, 2012
Alum your a liar the college students can vote on this issue
Alum

Murray, KY

#12 Mar 11, 2012
No we can not, not unless we are registered voters of Murray, Ky... should check some facts before you post
Hah

Washington, DC

#13 Mar 12, 2012
Then register to vote. You are legally able to.
wanda

Murray, KY

#14 Mar 12, 2012
duh of course you have to be register voter
One Love

United States

#15 Mar 12, 2012
Jack wrote:
What you are really saying, is, the leaders around here rather have God rule instead of we, the people.
Wow.. and people still think "we the people" control or have a REAL say so in anything that goes on in this country... don't you idiots get it... we are given little bits of freedoms to ensure the status quo. To ensure containment. We are forced to pay ridiculous prices and taxes towards debt that "we the people" did not cause. the real people with power are not the measly millionaires but the extremely wealthy billionaire bankers and investors... they lobby and lobby every year... they keep things going the way they want them.. and all any american is.. is an obedient worker ... ib other words we are all slaves to our gov with freedoms.
One Love

United States

#16 Mar 12, 2012
people these days by the majority are blind ignorant fools.. although they would never admit it. its the truth... but the truth always has been and always will be too much for anyone to comprehend.
One Love

United States

#17 Mar 12, 2012
and you damn fools shouldn't even be worried about alcohol sales?!?! why even be worried about alcohol it causes no benefits and a list of harms... all you people make me sick every last one of you.. you are all so full of ourselves and think ur right about everything... god. the world has gone to shit.. well not the world just the people in it!!! all of you can burn in hell! good day.
One Love

United States

#18 Mar 12, 2012
Jack wrote:
Can't really understand what you're trying to say but the fact remains, there's many more restaurants/bars in town than there will ever be liquor stores. I come from a place where you can buy beer and such just about in every store and there's no problems at all. There's much more crime and alcohol related accidents around here than there. I just don't get it, nobody wants freedom around here. People should have a right to vote, same with gambling. You can't legislate morality. They tried that with prohibition and as you can, that didn't work out. I also know for a fact that many people that will vote against it will go away from here and buy and sneak it back home. They don't want to be seen buying it.
So why can't we make cannabis legal instead and allow it to be sold so instead of becoming drunk and belligerent and doing things they don't mean people could all get stoned eat laugh and have a good time? but no.. people don't want freedom.. but in a country that only allows limited freedom.. its impossible to create your own freedom unless its within yourself. that's the only freedom our gov or anyone can never take from you.. but yeah as far as freedom? we have what freedom our gov wants us to have.
nope

Murray, KY

#19 Mar 12, 2012
One Love wrote:
and you damn fools shouldn't even be worried about alcohol sales?!?! why even be worried about alcohol it causes no benefits and a list of harms... all you people make me sick every last one of you.. you are all so full of ourselves and think ur right about everything... god. the world has gone to shit.. well not the world just the people in it!!! all of you can burn in hell! good day.
Real fuktard
Jack

Murray, KY

#20 Mar 12, 2012
Because grass isn't on the ballot and the liquor store is. On the other hand, you could follow Ron Paul's idea and get prostitution put on the ballot. The college people could vote if they register to vote. I always heard that's how the restaurants got the ordnance where they could serve alcohol. Anyway, for the person criticising the free vote on liquor stores vote, boy, you sure are the kettle calling the pot black, look at what you wrote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calloway County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug court site coming to Marshall Nov '14 Peaved off 2
melissa hill / young (Mar '14) Nov '14 Reality Bites 3
Calloway County Music Forum (Feb '13) Sep '14 Musikologist 7
Murray, Calloway County Drug Bust Leads To Seve... (Oct '07) Jul '14 Toogoodtobtrue 130
Pursuit and Drug Charges in Calloway County (Jun '14) Jun '14 Pebbles 1
calloway county republicans call to action (May '14) May '14 STERLING 1
car accident (May '14) May '14 donna 1
More from around the web