Grand Jury Indicts Murray Police Officer

Aug 25, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WPSD-TV Paducah

Attorney Ricky Lamkin says Monday's indictment by a Calloway County Grand Jury means his clients family will eventually learn the circumstances surrounding Everett Ray Walker's death.

Comments
1 - 20 of 55 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CSGT

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Judged:

I feel Cooper should get some kind of punishment(jail time) and suspended with pay? What is that all about??? Do not agree with the pay thing!

Since: Mar 08

Murray,KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Judged:

Do not judge, lest yee be judged. Remember that.
Another Peace Officer

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

Judged:

Should get punishment? What facts do you have? Granted it was a very unfortunate accident, but how do you know he was completely at fault? As law enforcement officers we are many times in a no win situation. What about the fact that he was responding to a call? The fact that somewhere at that time somebody was in need for a police officer. That is why we have lights and sirens, to provide ample warning that we are trying to get somewhere to help someone in need. This forum could just as easily be about an officer not responding fast enough and not getting to a call in time. Instead, an unfortunate event occured that Cooper has to live with everyday. Now we are trying to completely stop the career of a fine young officer who was only trying to serve his community.
Concerned

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

It was an unforunate accident, one that should not have happened. I feel bad about it and know that the police officer will have to remember this the rest of his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the widow and the officer.
Mrs- Robinson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

Judged:

It was a very tragic accident that didn't have to happen. I know and understand that law enforcement have to get to an emergency in a timely manner. We do not know all the facts of the case, as a GJ indicted him and no one really understands why, also a jury is not allowed to talk about the facts of any case they are sitting in on. It is a disservice to the community if a police officer never arrives to a scene, I can understand going fast, not stopping at a stop sign and red light, if I were the one in need I would hope they would come fast. With that said, you can not put the general public at risk, come over blind hills, or go so fast around a curve that you can't control the vehicle. Officers are I assume trained to drive at high speeds, I would imagine that they are also trained to control their vehicles at all times. Like I said it, they have to get there quickly and safely, if you have a wreck on the way to a call it just prolongs someone getting the help they need. In some situations it is better to slow down for a second and make sure you are not going to hit someone that can not see your lights or hear a siren, and speed back up when you get out of a blind spot. He would have arrived at the business (maybe all of 1 minute later) and been able to do his job.
DMC

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

The fact that a grand jury indicted him only means a grand jury thought there was enough evidence to hold a trial. There is a much lower standard required for a grand jury to indict than a trial jury to convict.

I think it was an unfortunate accident, and even if it was not the officer's fault, such a thing will probably be a hard thing for the officer to live with.

Its unfortunate that there are assholes like CGST out there making rash judgments what he posted.
Murray Kentucky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

The cop was responding to a building alarm at a closed desiel repair shop late at night. He came over a steep hill at a high rate of speed and into an intersection next to a factory entrance and nailed a guy leaving work. They sometimes get 3 to 5 of these kinds of alarms everyday and 99% are false. Regardless of this accident, we need to re-evaluate what is to be called an "emergency". If it's a panic alarm or fire alarm, send them wide open. If it's a simple motion alarm at a closed business that seems to get activated everytime the wind blows or the a/c fan kicks on, let's be a bit more cautious.
Agree_but_

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

I do understand what you are saying about it being a building alarm, you just never know with alarms and they are false many times. And yes, when approaching intersections, blind hills, blind curves... slow down. Yet, look at where the accident happened. It was later in the night at the industrial section of Murray. The gentleman pulled out from a side road that is rarely traveled at night. I am amazed that more accidents have not happened in that area with people coming in off of 94 into town. It is unfortunate that the gentleman did not see the emergency lights in time. Even at a blind hill I would believe that the emergency lights would be visible with it being at night.
Informed citizen

Scottdale, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2008

The bottom line is that this officer was operating within the boundaries of his policy and procedures manual. According to the policy he is sworn to, he did exactly as he has been trained to do. It is our responsibility as drivers to be observant of emergency vehicles at all times. When Cooper approached that side street, running code with lights and siren, Mr. Walker should have seen and observed the emergency vehicle's right of way. There is no question about blame here and unfortunately, one man's mistake is being taken out on an innocent officer. He was doing his job, exactly as his policy dictates.All this is going to do, is discourage other officers from responding to emergencies in a timely manner. If you thought you could be indicted for reckless homicide, would you continue to do your job as Cooper did?

Murray,KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Mrs- Robinson wrote:
It was a very tragic accident that didn't have to happen. I know and understand that law enforcement have to get to an emergency in a timely manner. We do not know all the facts of the case, as a GJ indicted him and no one really understands why, also a jury is not allowed to talk about the facts of any case they are sitting in on. It is a disservice to the community if a police officer never arrives to a scene, I can understand going fast, not stopping at a stop sign and red light, if I were the one in need I would hope they would come fast. With that said, you can not put the general public at risk, come over blind hills, or go so fast around a curve that you can't control the vehicle. Officers are I assume trained to drive at high speeds, I would imagine that they are also trained to control their vehicles at all times. Like I said it, they have to get there quickly and safely, if you have a wreck on the way to a call it just prolongs someone getting the help they need. In some situations it is better to slow down for a second and make sure you are not going to hit someone that can not see your lights or hear a siren, and speed back up when you get out of a blind spot. He would have arrived at the business (maybe all of 1 minute later) and been able to do his job.
Try this the next time you go to work, try slowing down at all the blind spots. Cmon man, driving is one big blind spot. You cant see everywhere at every second you are driving down the road. Plus, citizens and police officers put themselves in danger everytime they get behind the wheel. Traffic accidents kill more people in this country every year than any other factor. To say that a police officer is putting someone at risk because they are running code is true and its just as true as when that officer is driving the speed limit going nowhere in particular.

Murray,KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Murray Kentucky wrote:
The cop was responding to a building alarm at a closed desiel repair shop late at night. He came over a steep hill at a high rate of speed and into an intersection next to a factory entrance and nailed a guy leaving work. They sometimes get 3 to 5 of these kinds of alarms everyday and 99% are false. Regardless of this accident, we need to re-evaluate what is to be called an "emergency". If it's a panic alarm or fire alarm, send them wide open. If it's a simple motion alarm at a closed business that seems to get activated everytime the wind blows or the a/c fan kicks on, let's be a bit more cautious.
First of all, just because a business is closed doesnt mean that no one is there. Ive had several jobs where Ive been there 3 hours after it "closed". So you cant assume that there is no one in danger. Secondly, sure 99% may be false alarms, but what are we supposed to tell that family that falls into the 1%, Im sorry we didnt drive fast and werent able to help you because we had 7 false alarms today so your must have been false. Cmon people, wake up. In police work you can assume anything, you cant possible know if one of those alarms falls into the 99% or the 1%, so you treat them all like they are NOT false. I wonder if you would think the same if your property were stolen or your loved one was injured or killed because it might have been a false alarm.
anon

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Ok here is how I see it. Alarm or not the cop was going to a call for help. From reports the lights and sirens were on. The cop had the right of way. Here is my question. I see fire trucks running lights and siren all the time at a fast speed and through intersections. I see the ambulance going with lights and sirens through town at fast speeds. This case WILL determine how ALL emergency people will drive from this point on.
The way I look at it is everyone loves a fireman and everyone hates a cop. But you know what they all help and save lives. Am I pro police not really I hate the tickets and the fines I have received..but I do respect them for saving my father's life when they came quickly to do cpr. I am glad the cop didn't go the speed limit that nite!
Support

Murray, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

As a peace officer in this community I support Cooper and wish him the best. I hope this is only a minor setback for a fine young officer who has already been through so much. I appreciate those who post in support of Cooper. I also respect the opinions of those who post otherwise. Just know that at this moment most of us do not know the full details. What we do know is that he was trying to do his job, was running with lights and siren, and an unfortunate accident occurred. It could have happened to any officer, no matter how careful our approch to a call is. I hope I speak for all peace officers, in that even for those who as anon stated "hate cops", we will continue to serve the community in which we live, and continue to respond to calls as quickly, and safely, as possible. I also hope that Cooper will be able to get back to what he does best. Thank you Cooper, and God bless.
Curious

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

Ok just think a bit, Say when Officer Cooper was going to that alarm and what if instead it was your Mother, Father or even one of your children that was leaving work in that accident-What would you hope to happen in this case. Im sure Cooper thinks about it everyday and has to live with this awful experiece he has gone thru. But even speaking to any of the other officers, What IF it was one of your loved ones?
Alot for Cooper to deal with but my heart also goes out to the Walker family.
Pops

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

Curious wrote:
Ok just think a bit, Say when Officer Cooper was going to that alarm and what if instead it was your Mother, Father or even one of your children that was leaving work in that accident-What would you hope to happen in this case. Im sure Cooper thinks about it everyday and has to live with this awful experiece he has gone thru. But even speaking to any of the other officers, What IF it was one of your loved ones?
Answer me this, this officer lives in the community just like 99% of all the Murray police do. Do you really think the officer would put his own family in danger? Do you really think any police officer would put their family in danger? Around 32 officers strong... thats a lot of family out there on the roads at any given time. The answer to my question is NO, none of them would. Just like they wouldn't needlessly put our families in danger. Most cops picture their own families in need when their responding, and say to them selves, if it was my son or daughter, mother, father needing help I would want the police there fast.
Curious2

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

I am also curious. had Officer Cooper been the on kild in the accident would the GJ have charged Mr. Walker? After all he was the one who failed to yeald.

Murray,KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

Curious wrote:
Same question to you, what if it was your family that was in danger at the alarm location? WHAT IF?
Curious

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer me this, this officer lives in the community just like 99% of all the Murray police do. Do you really think the officer would put his own family in danger? Do you really think any police officer would put their family in danger? Around 32 officers strong... thats a lot of family out there on the roads at any given time. The answer to my question is NO, none of them would. Just like they wouldn't needlessly put our families in danger. Most cops picture their own families in need when their responding, and say to them selves, if it was my son or daughter, mother, father needing help I would want the police there fast.
Of course the officer wouldnt.you did not understand what I was saying. I was saying WHAT IF it was the same or one of the other officers going to the alarm and you are ALSO a police officer and one of your loved ones were the one leaving work and was the one no longer here, how would you be feeling or want done??
MyTake

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

Curious2 wrote:
I am also curious. had Officer Cooper been the on kild in the accident would the GJ have charged Mr. Walker? After all he was the one who failed to yeald.
If Mr. Walker would have lived he would have been charged with failure to yield for emergency vehicle. If the officer would have been killed Mr Walker would be charged with Reckless Homicide.

Since: Feb 08

KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

What I still don't get is how people are blaming Cooper when it was late at night but his lights were on... Why couldn't a person see red and blue flashing lights reflecting off buildings/trees in the area???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Calloway County Discussions

Search the Calloway County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kenneth Harris arrest Jul 7 Curious 2
Murray, Calloway County Drug Bust Leads To Seve... (Oct '07) Jul 3 Toogoodtobtrue 130
Pursuit and Drug Charges in Calloway County Jun '14 Pebbles 1
calloway county republicans call to action May '14 STERLING 1
car accident May '14 donna 1
Calloway County Music Forum (Feb '13) Apr '14 Musikologist 6
melissa hill / young Mar '14 WTF 2
•••
•••