Elkins: MCCH's No Smoking Policy Unen...

Elkins: MCCH's No Smoking Policy Unenforceable'

There are 182 comments on the WKMS News story from Mar 8, 2011, titled Elkins: MCCH's No Smoking Policy Unenforceable'. In it, WKMS News reports that:

Murray-Calloway County Hospital workers and patients who smoke may soon no longer be required to leave the campus property to light up.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKMS News.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Tom

Murray, KY

#1 Mar 9, 2011
Is Mr. Elkins a smoker? They took smoking out of the hospitals because it's a killer and now they want to allow it. I would say to the people that smoke, if you can't do without it for 8 hours a day, then move on to another job, we don't need smoking in or around the hospital or the nursing home.
Thankful

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2011
I am sooooooooooooooo thankful the hospital I work in does not allow it "in" or around the Facility!!Bettr for all concerned..
jack

Benton, KY

#3 Mar 9, 2011
no smoker shuld be hired to work in a hospital or nursing home and the ones there should take the cure or be fired and I would guess that mr elkins has the habit or he would not be pushing this and if so he should get treatment to break the habit. what do we do next? build a room so drug addicks can go shoot up?
Tom

Murray, KY

#4 Mar 9, 2011
I also bet that the people that run the comments section of the online Ledger are smokers also. If you say anything about it, you don't get printed, actually, you can't get hardly anything printed in that paper. They are very against the 1st amendment there. Most people don't even go to it anymore.
me

Murray, KY

#5 Mar 9, 2011
Ok. For you stupid people out there, let me explain so you have some knowledge of the situation. Jcaho, the body the does hospital accreditation, states that if you let patients smoke, you have to let employees smoke. If you do not, you are not in compliance. Therefore, you may not get accredited. If you do not get accredited, you may no longer receive Medicare or Medicaid money. Without that money, since most of you can't pay your hospital bill, the hospital is toast. Why do we have this anger towards hospital employees? Do you have any idea what they do? Who else is going to wash your filthy bodies since you don't feel the need to bathe? Who else is going to voluntarily get your blood, urine and feces on them so you can stay alive? All of which contain HIV, hepatitis and all manner of not really fun diseases. Who else is going to care for you when you don't even take care of yourselves?
Thankful

United States

#6 Mar 9, 2011
me wrote:
Ok. For you stupid people out there, let me explain so you have some knowledge of the situation. Jcaho, the body the does hospital accreditation, states that if you let patients smoke, you have to let employees smoke. If you do not, you are not in compliance. Therefore, you may not get accredited. If you do not get accredited, you may no longer receive Medicare or Medicaid money. Without that money, since most of you can't pay your hospital bill, the hospital is toast. Why do we have this anger towards hospital employees? Do you have any idea what they do? Who else is going to wash your filthy bodies since you don't feel the need to bathe? Who else is going to voluntarily get your blood, urine and feces on them so you can stay alive? All of which contain HIV, hepatitis and all manner of not really fun diseases. Who else is going to care for you when you don't even take care of yourselves?
regarding patients smoking..we are allowed to take a patient out to a designated area for them to smoke..Employees and all others are NOT allowed to smoke in the vacinity of the hospital. Signs are posted..People comply
Tom

Murray, KY

#7 Mar 9, 2011
Me, it looks like you are the one that's stupid, if you don't like doing that job you are paid to do, you have the right to quit and move on. get a life, I don't have to put up with your nasty habit of smoking and if they open it up to smoke and I have to put up with it, I plan on suing.
Hugh Jass

Antioch, TN

#8 Mar 9, 2011
Somehow this seems an absurd question of degree. It is okay to "force" terminally ill patients to go out to designated smoking areas, but not to require them to go the extra distance to leave the grounds?

That makes little sense outside of extreme cases.

They should make available people to push a chair across the street if needed/desired, but at a stiff price. If the patients can't afford to pay it, they can't afford to be smokers. If they can and do, then the hospital profits slightly each time. Overall health improves.
me

Murray, KY

#9 Mar 9, 2011
You see Tom, that's the difference between you and me. I don't care what you do. I don't care how fat you get. When you get diabetes, I will gladly help you. I don't care how much you drink. When your liver is shot, I will gladly help you. I also don't care if you are on your cell phone in your car, trying to eat a half lb cheeseburger, drinking a 100 oz soda while trying to find the best country station. When you get into a car wreck and you are shitting and pissing all over yourself, me and the 14 people standing next to me because you are almost dead, I will gladly help you. I don't care what you do. Smoking is legal. Just like coffee. Some people enjoy coffee. Coffee breath and brown teeth and everything that goes with it. If healthcare workers decided they didn't want to deal with fat and smelly people anymore, how do you think that would go over? And yes, cigarettes are just as legal as that 600 calorie, 45 grams of carbs cheeseburger.
Tom

Murray, KY

#10 Mar 9, 2011
If a person is in the hospital and has to smoke, what's the purpose of being there in the first place. Smoking kills you and all the people around you. Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your health. If they want to allow smoking here, at least take a vote by the people of Murray and Calloway county and if it passes, I will make every effort to go where they don't allow it. Surely somebody on here knows Mr. Elkins and knows if he's a smoker or not.
me

Murray, KY

#11 Mar 9, 2011
Who cares if he is a smoker or not. Smoking does not kill everyone around you. The old second hand smoke theory is about as factual as the old global warming theory. Are you then prepared to boycott every business that allows their employees to smoke?
concerned cityizen

United States

#12 Mar 9, 2011
Tom wrote:
If a person is in the hospital and has to smoke, what's the purpose of being there in the first place. Smoking kills you and all the people around you. Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your health. If they want to allow smoking here, at least take a vote by the people of Murray and Calloway county and if it passes, I will make every effort to go where they don't allow it. Surely somebody on here knows Mr. Elkins and knows if he's a smoker or not.
I have known Mr Elkins for over 13 years and NO HE IS NOT A SMOKER. The fact of it is, smoking is legal, and u said "what's the purpose of being there" well what if it isn't anything related to smoking? If your out of gas in your car you go to the gas station, out of groceries you go to the grocery store, same way with medical attention, if u need it u got to the hospital. Smoking is an individual choice.
jane-s

Murray, KY

#13 Mar 9, 2011
you ignorant sluts.
1. Elkins does NOT smoke
2. No one is suggesting anything other than a small space that smokers can go to smoke on their break, etc. Employees are currenty standing in the STREET to smoke. The hospital will not be polluted and full of smoke.
3. For all of those who seem to think that smokers should be shot or something....keep it up. I am sure we can find something reprehensible enough about your behavior to return the favor somehow.
My God. I see that in some places there is a move to ban so called "e-cigarettes" in public places. There is no smoke, no tar, no carcinogen.(Nictotine is not a carcinogen)
Be honest, most of you busy bodies simply want the "right" to interfere in other people's lives.
Choke on it.
Lbrand

Columbus, OH

#14 Mar 9, 2011
Last time I checked smoking was still legal, despite the efforts of the nicotine Nazis. You don't have to like it, you can stay 100' from it if you want, you can throw smokers out of your house, you can make nasty comments and look down your holier than thou noses - but it's still legal and a lot of people still smoke. What in the heck is wrong with a smoking shelter right outside the hospital doors ? The smoke is contained and you won't have to taint your pristine lungs one little bit.

Of course as you walk to your car you're probably inhaling more pollutants than you'd get from walking past an outside smoker anyway. Get a grip - find a real polluter to go after.
Kelly

Murray, KY

#15 Mar 9, 2011
The two of you say smoking is legal, well that depends on where you are. As much as I dislike the state of IL, they did do some things right just as a host of other states. They ban smoking just about every where. No you don't care about the patients, you just say you do, smokers are the most hateful people on earth. They get all bent out of shape when anything is said about a smoker. I wish they would fire everybody that smokes. What makes you people at MCCH so high and mighty, just about every company in the US has ban smoking on their property. Boeing, one of the biggest companies in the US bans smoking so Mr. Elkins, don't tell me it's unenforceable and I will tell him to his face that isn't true.
Kelly

Murray, KY

#16 Mar 9, 2011
Choke on it you say, well that's exactly what we do when we have to be around smokers. I don't go to restaurants that allow it if they want to, that's their choice, I have no problem with that because I don't have to go there. But for a hospital that's there to save lives and you want to have something there that kills you, what idiots.
Tom

Murray, KY

#17 Mar 9, 2011
Another thing, that bill should have passed to ban smoking in cars where children are present but I suppose too many law makers are smokers so it failed but I will push for it next time. Little children have no choice but to endure all that killing smoke.
me

United States

#18 Mar 9, 2011
We are the most hateful people on earth? Who is trying to ban us from doing something that is legal? Who tells other people they don't Care about their job and the people they take care of willingly and compassionately. I'm tired of people telling me I'm a bad person and smoking is evil. I don't go around telling people how to live their lives. Just leave me alone to live mine. And the next time you come to the hospital, just remember, it could be a smoker that is taking care of you. Obesity has surpassed smoking as the #1 cause of death in this country. Are you going to let fat people take care of you? Or maybe you are fat. Should I refuse to treat you? I don't think so.
Bill

Murray, KY

#19 Mar 9, 2011
Who said smoking is legal, it's not legal if it's ban from where you work. Mr. Elkins might allow you to smoke at the hospital but most public places ban it. It's coming all over so get use to it. Smoking is bad for you, it's been on cigarette packs since I was a kid and I took it at heart that it was bad for me. I know a lot of people that have died from smoking and yes, being fat is bad too but you're only killing yourself from being fat, not everybody around you. Most all private companies have ban smoking, Pella only allows it in your car. What I hated the most being in the military, was having to pick up all the smoker's butts every morning.
jack

Benton, KY

#20 Mar 9, 2011
I feel so sorry for you addicked people who smoke because you do not have the will power to quit so to me that makes you weak minded also and I don't want to smell it on your hair and body after you go out for a fix! so see if mr elkins can find you a job so you can enjoy your habit because it seems that he love the 25% of you people who are addicks. and disregards the other 75% of us who are clean.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calloway County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Calloway Uneasy With Murder Suspect Free (Oct '08) 11 hr mulberry 263
News Tiptonville inmate captured in Kentucky 21 hr Chuck visiting 1
Calloway County Music Forum (Feb '13) Wed Musikologist 9
News Murray, Calloway County Drug Bust Leads To Seve... (Oct '07) Jul 25 GoodApollo 137
high school boy beat up by msu football players (Oct '13) Jul 14 fieeug 3
Calloway County Judge Executive Larry Elkins an... Jun '15 Just sayin 1
News Murray man facing dozens of firearm, drug charges Apr '15 Jake from State Farm 8
More from around the web