Homeless face months of below-normal ...

Homeless face months of below-normal cold

There are 16 comments on the Lenoir News-Topic story from Nov 17, 2013, titled Homeless face months of below-normal cold. In it, Lenoir News-Topic reports that:

When the night is cold, Paul Storie, a grizzled 70-year-old Vietnam War veteran, holds a flannel blanket up to the dashboard vent in his old Buick, the fan on high heat, for about 10 minutes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lenoir News-Topic.

Tums

Stanley, NC

#1 Nov 17, 2013
Where are the homeless camping out in Lenoir now? I heard there were laws implemented to keep them from living under bridges in town.

I'd like to find out this information to start ministering to them with coats, blankets and thermal wear, as well as try to find them places to live.

Cold weather is non-discriminating.

If anyone has any information, please respond back.
Stop it

Black Mountain, NC

#2 Nov 17, 2013
Tums wrote:
Where are the homeless camping out in Lenoir now? I heard there were laws implemented to keep them from living under bridges in town.
I'd like to find out this information to start ministering to them with coats, blankets and thermal wear, as well as try to find them places to live.
Cold weather is non-discriminating.
If anyone has any information, please respond back.
ministering to them is great but please don't give them stuff. They already flock to NC because this state caters to them. There is very few true excuses for homelessness. Usually drunk people who don't want responsibility for anything or anyone. It is a choice. When people cater to them it makes their choice validated. Please just STOP!
oldfriend

Forsyth, GA

#3 Nov 17, 2013
Its good to help them. i remember this homeless guy when i was younger his family owned 2stores in lenoir and they would throw food in the dumpster just to keep from giving him anything i also wondered how could someone treat a famly member that way knowing they had lots of mpney and the brother sleep under bridges and this guy had a college degree then i found out a few years ago he had froze to death under a bridge so anyone that can say don't help these people you don't have a heart
Tums

Stanley, NC

#4 Nov 17, 2013
oldfriend wrote:
Its good to help them. i remember this homeless guy when i was younger his family owned 2stores in lenoir and they would throw food in the dumpster just to keep from giving him anything i also wondered how could someone treat a famly member that way knowing they had lots of mpney and the brother sleep under bridges and this guy had a college degree then i found out a few years ago he had froze to death under a bridge so anyone that can say don't help these people you don't have a heart
was his name Wesley? I am familiar with a similar story.
Tums

Stanley, NC

#5 Nov 17, 2013
Stop it wrote:
<quoted text>ministering to them is great but please don't give them stuff. They already flock to NC because this state caters to them. There is very few true excuses for homelessness. Usually drunk people who don't want responsibility for anything or anyone. It is a choice. When people cater to them it makes their choice validated. Please just STOP!
So, close to 10,000 people in Caldwell County alone didn't lose their jobs when manufacturing went to China? Was every factory that closed replaced by another business that hires vigorously? You're saying every homeless person has relatives willing to take them in? Nobody has lost a home to foreclosure?

You are entitled to your opinion and choices as to how you interact with people, whether they be homeless or not. If you don't want to help, then that's your choice-I'm personally ok with that. The only thing I would ask is the same courtesy that I am showing you by accepting your choice and not bashing you for it.

My personal choice should not be restricted by yours, nor vice versa.
Bubba

Rocky Mount, NC

#6 Nov 17, 2013
Stop it wrote:
<quoted text>ministering to them is great but please don't give them stuff. They already flock to NC because this state caters to them. There is very few true excuses for homelessness. Usually drunk people who don't want responsibility for anything or anyone. It is a choice. When people cater to them it makes their choice validated. Please just STOP!
We will pray that homelessness never happens to you but if it should I bet your opinion of people offering help would drastically change. How about the children that have no choice in the matter or the veteran that has come home from fighting for our freedom and there is no one willing to hire him? Truth is, nearly all of us are one paycheck away from being homeless. We should all have compassion for those that are in need reguardless of the situation and give a helping hand. Sure there are some that ask for help that don't need it and abuse the system but how do you who they are? The very thought that the homeless choose to be that way is rediculous.
youareblinf

Black Mountain, NC

#7 Nov 17, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>We will pray that homelessness never happens to you but if it should I bet your opinion of people offering help would drastically change. How about the children that have no choice in the matter or the veteran that has come home from fighting for our freedom and there is no one willing to hire him? Truth is, nearly all of us are one paycheck away from being homeless. We should all have compassion for those that are in need reguardless of the situation and give a helping hand. Sure there are some that ask for help that don't need it and abuse the system but how do you who they are? The very thought that the homeless choose to be that way is rediculous.
homelessness is most definately a choice. They (most) chose to bail on responsibility, taxes, and a pursuit of a better life. Guaranteed that most of these people had other options but became comfortable with the idea of "freedom" from having to earn a living, support a family, pay taxes, and live by western man law. And the idea of vets coming home and playing the "i fought for freedom"card is as stupid as the people that buy it....how do I know? I used to reside under Longtime Bridge in Southern Charleston. I knew homeless people, heard all the stories, etc. Its mostly all BS. I got up and fixed my miserable life.
youareblinf

Black Mountain, NC

#8 Nov 17, 2013
And nobody you know is homeless because of their furniture job loss. And there are plenty of jobs. GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND DO SOMETHING REAL. I may have never done that if people had catered to me. I had to or I was going to die.
Workwear

Black Mountain, NC

#9 Nov 17, 2013
in 1996 we had a project started called "workwear" where homeless could come get a meal, a shower, a mailing address, and a suit of clothes to go to interviews. Out of a projected 50 street people in Lenoir area, we had 4 take it seriously. we advertised and went and saw most of them on a one on one basis. So there is some truth to the previous posts. It in large is a choice.
oldfriend

Forsyth, GA

#10 Nov 17, 2013
Tums wrote:
<quoted text>
was his name Wesley? I am familiar with a similar story.
no it was rex
Thanksgiving

Sherrills Ford, NC

#11 Nov 18, 2013
Many people who are homeless have mental health conditions. Thanks to our abysmal mental health services and severe underfunding, these folks are in the streets instead of getting the help they need. These people are not capable of maintaining a job, even if one were available.

There but for the grace of God go I.
Bubba

Rocky Mount, NC

#12 Nov 18, 2013
Thanksgiving wrote:
Many people who are homeless have mental health conditions. Thanks to our abysmal mental health services and severe underfunding, these folks are in the streets instead of getting the help they need. These people are not capable of maintaining a job, even if one were available.
There but for the grace of God go I.
I agree and even those that manage to recover from homelessness think that those who are still underprivaledged choose to be that way. Caldwell county residents continue to amaze me!
bubbagump

United States

#13 Nov 18, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and even those that manage to recover from homelessness think that those who are still underprivaledged choose to be that way. Caldwell county residents continue to amaze me!
and you sir, are an idiot. you amaze me.
Bubba

Rocky Mount, NC

#14 Nov 18, 2013
One thing I am not us someone to judge others for what they have or don't have and am not to greedy to share what I have with those that need it worse than I do. Karma usually has a way of taking care of those like you and I would say you're close to the top of the list. Don't fear though, I would still be willing to help you although I'm sure if you were cold you would turn down blankets, food if you were hungry and a warm bath if you were dirty and stinking.
Tums

Stanley, NC

#16 Nov 18, 2013
youareblinf wrote:
<quoted text>homelessness is most definately a choice. They (most) chose to bail on responsibility, taxes, and a pursuit of a better life. Guaranteed that most of these people had other options but became comfortable with the idea of "freedom" from having to earn a living, support a family, pay taxes, and live by western man law. And the idea of vets coming home and playing the "i fought for freedom"card is as stupid as the people that buy it....how do I know? I used to reside under Longtime Bridge in Southern Charleston. I knew homeless people, heard all the stories, etc. Its mostly all BS. I got up and fixed my miserable life.
As I told the initial person responding to my first question-it is your choice as to what you do or don't do concerning helping the homeless. There is no point or purpose in bashing those who do choose to help. Most who have been truly homeless and overcame said situation would be mindful enough to know that if it happened once, it could happen again. Now people who choose to be that way themselves just to check out the scene for a month knowing they have resources and a home to go back to are a different matter. I don't know anyone like that personally, but I am sure they might classify themselves as having been homeless once and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.
say what?

Newland, NC

#17 Nov 19, 2013
Tums wrote:
<quoted text>As I told the initial person responding to my first question-it is your choice as to what you do or don't do concerning helping the homeless. There is no point or purpose in bashing those who do choose to help. Most who have been truly homeless and overcame said situation would be mindful enough to know that if it happened once, it could happen again. Now people who choose to be that way themselves just to check out the scene for a month knowing they have resources and a home to go back to are a different matter. I don't know anyone like that personally, but I am sure they might classify themselves as having been homeless once and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.
Yes, people tend to judge quickly. Truth be known most are us are just a few paychecks away from being homeless should things go wrong. We forget those which have found that dark place in their mind of no help or no hope. Not all people are homeless because they drink, many now drink because they are homeless and do not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe some do prefer living in this manner, but I guarantee none initially selected that life intentionally. Luckily I have never been in that situation but in reality, I can see how it happens to people. We spend more resources taking care of drug dealers and child molesters as inmates than we do those down on their luck. What's wrong with that picture??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caldwell County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
American Idol Finalist coming to Lenoir Aug 5 styledo 1
News Man will stand trial on rape charges (Feb '09) Jul 28 Will 6
News Burke Co. teen sentenced to 12 years for sex cr... Jun '16 LIL OLE ME 10
News Flamboyant, eccentric Willard Blevins dies (Jul '14) Apr '16 Cchurch 40
News Caldwell schools lose 75 staff positions (Aug '13) Mar '16 Wake up 3
Why Preachers Push Cruz NOT Trump Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
News Crawford trial expected to start today (Nov '12) Feb '16 Sam I am 51
More from around the web