Deputy Lacks Integrity, Formal Complaint Not an Option

Posted in the Caldwell County Forum

Emily Washington

Taylorsville, NC

#1 Apr 20, 2012
Last week I had a situation in Caldwell County that was very disheartening. I sent my car to Josh's Auto and Towing where I was overcharged $100 for service, lied to about pertinent expenses, and had my car held from me because I was unwilling to pay cash for service. Since it all seemed fishy, I wanted a paper trail on my end and had all other legitimate forms of payment available. Josh would not take my money or discuss anything further. He got in his car and drove away with me standing there confused. It was clear that I needed assistance in the retrieval of my car so I called the local police. Deputy Watson was sent out to help. As soon as he got there he stepped out of his car having just gotten off his cell phone with Josh, the shop owner. He mentioned that he had just spoken to him and that nothing would be done until he returned. It was clear that they had a relationship and Josh had called to inform him of the situation after leaving me standing there and refusing to settle my debt. Deputy Watson did not ask me a single question, he did not try to gather any information or address the situation at all. He was very rude and judgmental, making snide remarks and having a nonchalant attitude towards my situation. It just so happened that I got a call I had been waiting on from the Attorney General's office regarding this problem. Susan Davis asked me to go into the establishment and look for visible signs stating the NC Vehicle Repair Act and also the forms of payment taken. Deputy Watson would not let me do so, nor would he do it. He did not believe that I was in fact speaking to a representative from the Attorney General's office. He continued his unprofessional behavior until he must have realized that I was not bluffing, he really was not doing his job effectively, and there was a government worker as a witness to it; even if only by phone. He asked me to prove who I was speaking to, which I did. He immediately changed his demeanor, he became helpful, and he recommended to his pal, Josh, that he take a different form of payment and let me have my car. I was permitted into the office, where I took pictures showing that he does not have the NC Vehicle Repair Act hung, but he does have clearly visible forms of payment listed including credit/debit and check. In the end, only because of my persistence and knowledge of the law was I able to leave with my car. I was very distressed to see that Deputy Watson, quite obviously, took the side of his acquaintance before putting justice first. It is upsetting to know to that Deputy Watson, who is paid to uphold and protect the law, could not be bothered with such a simple solution because of his need to side with his friend. I was advised to file a complaint against this officer and wish that I had a better experience when I went to do so. There was no formal process, nothing to sign, no statement taken. I called ahead of time and was told I would be seen by one person, but after waiting over 2 hours was sent to another. This man was Captain Poarch. He listened to me, advised that pushing this issue may be financially detrimental, and hoped that I would go away. I did not. I asked about the formal process of complaints and what I could expect. He assured me that his 28 years on the force was sufficient in proving trustworthiness, he would take what I had said into consideration, it would be handled internally, and I would hear nothing further. He then sent me on my way. As he walked me out, I made sure to clarify my understanding, that there was nothing for me to fill out or sign, and he was adamant that there was nothing. As he opened the door to usher me out, I thought to ask for his business card. He said he would need to go back in and get one for me. As I went to follow him back inside he obstructed the entrance and said that I was not able to re-enter the building. This entire ordeal has made me really question the ethic and morale of those who hold positions in power.
So Soorry

United States

#2 Jul 15, 2012
I am so sorry to hear of the ordeal in which you had. It appears that you should have gone to the county managers office to file a complaint. I am not sure as to the situation however, an officer is not to be judge and jury and he did not act as a professional. When an officer tries to be helpful and remedy the situation it can be an unpleasant end. The sheriffs secretries husband is a Watson but he has always been helpful and above board. I want to applaude you on seeking outside help. We need to continue to aid the public by making them aware of these situations as you have especially since we are paying their salary........
anon

Lenoir, NC

#3 Jul 30, 2012
you got treated like a queen compaired to the way I have seen our sheriffs office behave usualy to weman go figure. thank you.atlest they didn,t fisicly abuse you thats what suprises me.please becarefull with them in futur dealings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caldwell County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant allows scientific experiments with the al... 5 hr Mee 1
Mixed feelings among area magistrates on same-s... 15 hr Robert 2
Jeweler accused of buying stolen jewelry Dec 23 lol 18
3 accused in Lenoir double shooting (Apr '12) Nov '14 Kasey Mcghinnis 27
Caldwell arrests 2 in meth crackdown Nov '14 Liberal forever 5
Deadly Caldwell County fire started in kitchen (Sep '11) Oct '14 douggie 3
Lenoir meat plant may add 100 jobs Oct '14 just me 3
More from around the web