18 dogs euthanized at Caldwell shelter

18 dogs euthanized at Caldwell shelter

There are 23 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from Mar 17, 2011, titled 18 dogs euthanized at Caldwell shelter. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

A mysterious illness has led to the deaths of 18 dogs at the Caldwell County Animal Control shelter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lenoir parent

Stanley, NC

#1 Mar 19, 2011
why don't they discuss how many dogs are killed each year at the facility? Shameful...
huh

Black Mountain, NC

#2 Mar 19, 2011
and why do people continue dumping their "pets" on the side of the road? Why don't they take their "pets" to be spayed or neutered??

I love animals just as much as anyone can, but lets be real here...

people gripe about the amount of taxes that they pay city and county already...

are you gonna belly up to the bar and pay more in order to feed every stray that is allowed to reproduce and roam free in Caldwell County?

If you feel it's so shameful, what are YOU doing to change the situation?

Are you volunteering at the animal shelter to see what the employees are actually dealing with?

Are you educating people about responsible pet ownership?

Or are you just sitting back in your little "shameful" easy chair??
K9 rescue

Spruce Pine, NC

#3 Mar 20, 2011
Lenoir parent wrote:
why don't they discuss how many dogs are killed each year at the facility? Shameful...
What do you suppose they do with all these animals? Most if not all of the people I know that work at the animal shelter love animals and hate to put them down but have no other choice. Jail time is something that may curb some of the reckless breeding of animals but like anything else it wont solve the problem, people just dont care and figure it's someone else's problem to worry about it. I cant tell you how many rednecks in caldwell county live in a trailor thats about to fall down, recieve public assistance and can barely feed thier own children but have twenty dogs and cats running around breeding at will. Whenever they get tired of the animals they just cart them off somewhere and set them out, most of the ones they keep have never seen a vet or food thats fit for a dog. The people in this county and how they treat their pets is what is shameful.
real problem

Lenoir, NC

#4 Mar 20, 2011
K9 rescue wrote:
<quoted text> The people in this county and how they treat their pets is what is shameful.
agreed
The Truth

Russellville, TN

#5 Mar 20, 2011
Sadly, "huh" is correct.

Unless people here are willing to start paying higher taxes or become personally involved at the shelter, the euthanization will continue.
Rescue Mom

United States

#6 Mar 20, 2011
Lenoir parent wrote:
How many have YOU adopted or fostered until a good home can be found? I have rescue dogs of my own. They are loving and appreciative. They never asked to be abused, maimed, or dumped on the side of the road. Unfortunately not enough people will take the time or put forth the effort to give a home to a deserving animal. If more people would care less about pedigrees and papers that don't matter anyway and be willing to adopt there would be fewer dogs and cats put down each year. Each of my dogs came from an abusive situation. I put a lot of time, effort and money into making the rest of their lives safe and happy. Every one of them came into my life for a reason. I am the lucky one. Instead of coming on here commenting about how shameful you think the shelter is, why don't you do something to help? For every dog adopted, that's a life saved.
Lenoir parent

Stanley, NC

#7 Mar 21, 2011
Our family met a wonderful dedicated lady in Lenoir (Chris Zingler?)who was spearheading a committee to help with adoptions of the animals who were being euthanized.(5K each year? Am I correct?)
We understand her efforts were endless as she tried to bring awareness to the community and build a team of volunteers to wash the animals, help with adoptions,educate the community, and raise funds to help build a no kill shelter in Lenoir.
What happened to those efforts?
I understand that she stepped down.
Anyone know what occurred to make that happen?
Chris was such a great LEADER for the cause.
what

United States

#8 Mar 21, 2011
Lenoir parent wrote:
Our family met a wonderful dedicated lady in Lenoir (Chris Zingler?)who was spearheading a committee to help with adoptions of the animals who were being euthanized.(5K each year? Am I correct?) We understand her efforts were endless as she tried to bring awareness to the community and build a team of volunteers to wash the animals, help with adoptions,educate the community, and raise funds to help build a no kill shelter in Lenoir. What happened to those efforts? I understand that she stepped down. Anyone know what occurred to make that happen? Chris was such a great LEADER for the cause.
? why are you avoiding answering any of the replies to your original post? you started this thread with a negative comment about the shelter and when others didn't post crap back you seem to have changed your attitude.
Yep

Casar, NC

#9 Mar 21, 2011
I wished you "animal lovers" care as much about saving orphaned children as you do about "animals".
Duh

Saint Cloud, FL

#10 Mar 21, 2011
Yep wrote:
I wished you "animal lovers" care as much about saving orphaned children as you do about "animals".
Don't even go there. How many "orphaned children" have you saved? If you have it's probably to get more welfare.
the topic

United States

#11 Mar 21, 2011
How about the topic at hand? What conditions/diseases could cause these symptoms? I have dogs myself that are loved and would like to know if we need to worry about this spreading to our animals? If one of ours was to get sick and we have to take all of ours to the vet that can get costly quick.
junkyard dog

Spruce Pine, NC

#12 Mar 22, 2011
Yep wrote:
I wish you rednecks cared more about raising your children and less about having 50 animals and junk cars so we didnt have to take care of both problems. Dont worry Im sure the government will allow you rejects to buy dog food and car parts with food stamps before long.
the topic

United States

#13 Mar 22, 2011
It is distemper.
JESSICA

Laval, Canada

#14 Mar 22, 2011
I don't uhderstand why the government can not do something for these poor animals. I'm sure if they can give out welfare like candy, they can do something for the neglected and abused creatures of the world !!
because

Black Mountain, NC

#16 Mar 23, 2011
JESSICA wrote:
I don't uhderstand why the government can not do something for these poor animals. I'm sure if they can give out welfare like candy, they can do something for the neglected and abused creatures of the world !!
Because WE dont want to pay for it!! I dont want my taxes to pay for the thousands of dollars THAT would be....just like i dont want my taxes to pay for YOUR slack ass that doesnt want to work! Have your pets spayed or neutered....and get off your damned crack pipe and go to work.....I DONT WANT TO PAY FOR YOU OR YOUR MISTAKES!!!...enough said:)
The Truth

AOL

#17 Mar 23, 2011
JESSICA wrote:
Jessica,

Sadly, our government has gone way too far already with doling out welfare to unworthy recipients. There is no question there are those who are in need and should be helped, but the majority of welfare recipients have, by choice, made this a lifestyle. They show no inclination to get a job or better themselves because our federal government is paying them to stay lazy.

This relates to the poor animals in that no extra monies currently exist for their care. In fact as we move forward, less and less money will be available for the current welfare recipients.

Ultimately all actions have to deal with their counter actions. The years of excess and waste this country has "enjoyed" are now being paid for with interest. This should continue for several years ahead. The good thing is it will force many of the lazy, worthless bums to either get a job, go hungry, or steal. The first will give them self-esteem and responsibility. The second will force them to starve or change their habits. The third will get them jailed or shot. Either way things WILL be different.
JESSICA

Laval, Canada

#18 Mar 23, 2011
I still say the government just doesn't give a crap !!
put bums to sleep

Spruce Pine, NC

#19 Mar 23, 2011
JESSICA wrote:
I still say the government just doesn't give a crap !!
Why should the government give a crap? Where does it say in the bill of rights that you or anyone else is entitled to a pet? More to the point those of us that pay tax's are the government and we really are sick of working to the death to pay for other people's mistakes. Your statement just goes to show what is wrong in this nation, a nation where more and more people think the government is there to hold their hands and fix all their problems while not doing anythings at all to help themselves. I however would much rather give welfare to animals and help them then the lazy ass bums that leach off my tax money every month, at least dogs are usefull and loyal. Why doesnt the government spay all the trash that walks around spitting out kids for the rest of us to pay for, I wonder how many people in caldwell county actually pay the hospital bill to give birth.
what

United States

#20 Mar 23, 2011
put bums to sleep wrote:
<quoted text>Why should the government give a crap? Where does it say in the bill of rights that you or anyone else is entitled to a pet? More to the point those of us that pay tax's are the government and we really are sick of working to the death to pay for other people's mistakes. Your statement just goes to show what is wrong in this nation, a nation where more and more people think the government is there to hold their hands and fix all their problems while not doing anythings at all to help themselves. I however would much
rather give welfare to animals and help them then the lazy ass bums that leach off my tax money every month, at least dogs are usefull and loyal. Why doesnt the government spay all the trash that walks around spitting out kids for the rest of us to pay for, I wonder how many people in caldwell county actually pay the hospital bill to give birth.
I couldn't agree more. I am tired of supporting deadbeats. My daughter works at a super market and she says the majority of the foodstamp card users are Mexicans. If my tax dollars have to support somebody I'd rather support a lazy American than a greasy Mexican.
JESSICA

Laval, Canada

#21 Mar 27, 2011
Hey there will still be animals who are suffering whether you or I are entitled isn't the point!! Who is running the world is it the government or us ? The laws of the government are not harsh enough with animal abusers .they even get to have more animals in the future,even though neglected or abused or worse killed them. I do agree with the ending of your post though,that is exactly what I mean !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caldwell County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Burke Co. teen sentenced to 12 years for sex cr... May 16 LIL OLE ME 4
News Flamboyant, eccentric Willard Blevins dies (Jul '14) Apr '16 Cchurch 40
News Caldwell schools lose 75 staff positions (Aug '13) Mar '16 Wake up 3
Why Preachers Push Cruz NOT Trump Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
News Crawford trial expected to start today (Nov '12) Feb '16 Sam I am 51
News Oakes named Watauga Democrat editor Jan '16 truth 2
News Capital Offense (Jul '10) Dec '15 gradyritch2016 38
More from around the web