DWI crackdown

Jul 9, 2010 Full story: Hickory Daily Record 18

RALEIGH a ' State and local law officers cited 1,291 motorists for driving while impaired during the "Booze It & Lose It: Operation Firecracker" campaign over the Fourth of July holiday.

Full Story
easy revenue

Newton, NC

#1 Jul 9, 2010
Sadly, the majority of the work done by traffic cops is for pure economic reasons. "Safety" is just the excuse....
Trico1

United States

#2 Jul 9, 2010
easy revenue wrote:
Sadly, the majority of the work done by traffic cops is for pure economic reasons. "Safety" is just the excuse....
Maybe when you have a close family member killed by a drunk driver you will think things through a little more before you make such a dumb statement. Sure you have to pay a fine. But if they just stopped you and said don't do that again you wouldn't stop would you.
easy revenue

Newton, NC

#3 Jul 9, 2010
I have had a close family member killed by a drunk driver. Said drunk driver had 4 previous DWI convictions. At what point does a person who habitually drives drunk get real punishment. Sure, he had his license revoked. Wow.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that traffic cops are all about the revenue. Studies have shown that during times of economic recession, police are charged with enforcing traffic laws more agressively. Think about it, nearly 50,000 tickets x $145+ court cost = a very tidy sum for the state treasury.

Look at the facts...
"Researchers from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and the University of Arkansas-Little Rock conducted the study that was published last year. Among North Carolina’s 100 counties, they found a 10 percent decrease in revenue growth caused a 6.4 percent increase the following year in the growth rate of traffic tickets."

"A study published last year in the Journal of Law and Economics found that police issue more traffic citations during recessions. From 1990 to 2003, counties in North Carolina issued significantly more tickets in the year following a decline in general tax revenue, according to the study."

and this...

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/artic...
Trico is el stupido

Newton, NC

#4 Jul 9, 2010
Mike

Asheville, NC

#5 Jul 9, 2010
I am not a proponent of drunk driving but I think check points are just wrong. This is not 1942 Germany or Eastern Europe in the 50's This is the USA dammit and I should not have to go through a check point. If Cops wanted to stop drunk driving all they need to do is follow cars home from bars.

Check points are a breech of my rights in my mind and should not be allowed. I hope the general public that thinks they are a good tool still thinks so when they are used to disarm America.
Trico1

United States

#6 Jul 11, 2010
easy revenue wrote:
I have had a close family member killed by a drunk driver. Said drunk driver had 4 previous DWI convictions. At what point does a person who habitually drives drunk get real punishment. Sure, he had his license revoked. Wow.
Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that traffic cops are all about the revenue. Studies have shown that during times of economic recession, police are charged with enforcing traffic laws more agressively. Think about it, nearly 50,000 tickets x $145+ court cost = a very tidy sum for the state treasury.
Look at the facts...
"Researchers from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and the University of Arkansas-Little Rock conducted the study that was published last year. Among North Carolina’s 100 counties, they found a 10 percent decrease in revenue growth caused a 6.4 percent increase the following year in the growth rate of traffic tickets."
"A study published last year in the Journal of Law and Economics found that police issue more traffic citations during recessions. From 1990 to 2003, counties in North Carolina issued significantly more tickets in the year following a decline in general tax revenue, according to the study."
and this...
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/artic...
So let me get this straight. You lost a close family member to a drunk driver that had 4 previous DWI convictions and you are blaming the traffic cop. You do know that the cop is not a judge don't you? If the judge let's them go how can it be the traffic cops fault? You still didn't answer my question. What do you think that a cop should do when they catch someone breaking the law? If your not willing to pay a fine maybe you would prefer someone should go to jail. Let me know your solution as to what should be done instead of fines.
Cornholio

Newton, NC

#7 Jul 12, 2010
Trico1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight. You lost a close family member to a drunk driver that had 4 previous DWI convictions and you are blaming the traffic cop. You do know that the cop is not a judge don't you? If the judge let's them go how can it be the traffic cops fault? You still didn't answer my question. What do you think that a cop should do when they catch someone breaking the law? If your not willing to pay a fine maybe you would prefer someone should go to jail. Let me know your solution as to what should be done instead of fines.
It's not the cop's fault! It's the "sysem" that begins with traffic engineers designing highways where folks can easilty travel, then the DOT artificially sets the speed limit low, which gives the cops easy targets for "speeding". The judge and DA aren't concerned with safety, but rather keeping the revenue flowing. The interstate is designed for high speed travel. One could easily travel 80, 90, 100 mph. So why is the speed limit set so low? If you think it's for safety, think again. Germany has high speed autobahns, with rates much lower than the US. How is that possible?

Traffic control in the US is very much revenue driven. Cops love the overtime they collect for showing up to court. The government gets money, the cops get paid, and the citizens get screwed. What's not to like?

My solution - do like Montana used to do....no speeding tickets, only fines for "unlawful use of natural resources" - typically $5.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#8 Jul 12, 2010
Trico1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe when you have a close family member killed by a drunk driver you will think things through a little more before you make such a dumb statement.
Most traffic fatalities are not alcohol related.

Getting accused of a DUI has nothing to do with being "drunk".

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#9 Jul 12, 2010
Mike wrote:
I am not a proponent of drunk driving but I think check points are just wrong.
They had to initiate check points because .08%BAC is not a drunk driver and people who are not drunk do not exhibit indicia of drunk driving, i.g.; weaving or erratic driving behavior. Since the .08%BAC driver does not exhibit the indicia of driving drunk, the police have to wipe their asses on the Constitution and violate a person's rights by subjecting them to an illegal traffic stop.

What needs to happen, is that when a car load of 16 year old blond girls gets slammed by a truly drunk driver on the night that a DUI check point is in operation in the county, the family members need to sue the agencies and agents involved for concentrating police officers in one location participating in illegal organized criminal activity instead of having been dispersed throughout the county on patrol looking for DUI drivers widely.

Most of these DUI checkpoints are staffed by police officers who bid for overtime pay in a time when the US is suffering from a 10% unemployment rate. The funding for such checkpoints is usually in the form of federal grants at time when the federal government is 13 TRILLION dollars in the hole. Therefore, police overtime is being paid by check kiters who have no money and are expecting that persons unborn yet pay this bill on local police overtime spent today, which effectively amounts to taxation without representation.
Trico1

United States

#10 Jul 12, 2010
It's real simple! Don't break the law and you will not be fined or jailed. Maybe you are not drunk at .08 but it's the law. Just deal with it. You may be able to handle your vehicle at speeds over the speed limit but I'm sure some can't. I personally don't want a 16 year old that just got his/her license traveling 90 down the interstate. I have never seen a speed limit sign that says "If you have been driving for 5 years or more you can ignore the speed limit". I hope you also know it's against the law for a car load of 16 year old kids to be in the car together anyway.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#11 Jul 12, 2010
Trico1 wrote:
It's real simple! Don't break the law and you will not be fined or jailed. Maybe you are not drunk at .08 but it's the law. Just deal with it.
"just" deal with it? I absolutely, positively did "deal with it" and JUSTLY.

When two cops fabricated a reason to pull me over, then used their organized crime as a reason to attempt to get me to perform field sobriety tests and blow into a non-evidentiary portable breath tester, I JUSTLY REFUSED! Which was my right to do so.

I was arrested on suspicion of DUI and I did take the evidentiary test at the police station, which is based on junk science, I blew a .19%BAC. I was cited with a traffic infraction of first offense DUI, in my state it's not a misdemeanor criminal offense. I then contested my case by retaining the best DUI attorney money could buy, the city attorney dragged his feet on the case but eventually had to concede and my case was dismissed without me stepping one foot in courtroom.
Trico1

United States

#12 Jul 12, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>"just" deal with it? I absolutely, positively did "deal with it" and JUSTLY.
When two cops fabricated a reason to pull me over, then used their organized crime as a reason to attempt to get me to perform field sobriety tests and blow into a non-evidentiary portable breath tester, I JUSTLY REFUSED! Which was my right to do so.
I was arrested on suspicion of DUI and I did take the evidentiary test at the police station, which is based on junk science, I blew a .19%BAC. I was cited with a traffic infraction of first offense DUI, in my state it's not a misdemeanor criminal offense. I then contested my case by retaining the best DUI attorney money could buy, the city attorney dragged his feet on the case but eventually had to concede and my case was dismissed without me stepping one foot in courtroom.
Now your talking. That's what I'm talking about. You dealt with it. Instead of whinning you went to work to fix it. Bravo!!!!!
baldy

Faison, NC

#13 Jul 12, 2010
let me sum this up quickly. dont drink and drive. its stupidity. dont fine drunk drivers- jail them. period. its not the cops fault- its the judges and DA's. follow vehicles from bars/clubs. and yes, ive had 2 friends killed by drunks. both head on crashes. if i were the judge they"d get the same sentence as the crime they committed! this country is too soft on criminals.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#14 Jul 13, 2010
baldy wrote:
this country is too soft on criminals.
This country must be "too soft on criminals", especially when the national percapita crime rates have been steadily dropping since the 1990s.
Trico1

United States

#15 Jul 13, 2010
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>This country must be "too soft on criminals", especially when the national percapita crime rates have been steadily dropping since the 1990s.
You can thank the Democrats for the drop in crime rate. When Bill Clinton and his crew emplemented the "Assualt weapons ban" real Americans went out and started arming themselves before Clinton and his crew took all there guns. Now the criminals are a little less bold with law abiding citizens being able to conceal there guns. Thank god the Assualt weapons ban was not renewed by George Bush.
dwivictim-surviv or

Denver, NC

#16 Aug 16, 2010
The real problem is folks think they can drive impaired, whether they have a driver's license or not. The law says .08. Live with it! It's not the DOT's fault. It's definitely not the cops' fault. It's the person who is stupid enough to get behind the wheel impaired. Usually that person, if involved in a crash, is unhurt and the person(s)they ran into are the ones who live a lifetime in pain or dealing with the loss of a loved one. I have been at checkpoints and heard the excuses given for driving impaired. Including the one about taking communion at the Catholic church. Or "Officer, damn I didn't know Vodka was alcohol?" Have you ever seen or had to scoop a child off the highway, with his brains scattered everywhere because a person was too selfish to think about anyone else when they got behind the wheel impaired? Don't talk economics, bad traffic planning, Democrats or Republicans, Cop abuse, or any other reason to me about the reason for someone driving impaired. I know for sure the person behind the wheel who hit me and murdered a child was selfish, a repeat offender, totally uncompassionate, totally uncaring, a party boy, a user,jobless (as far as I know) and a big liar. I blame the justice system for repeatedly letting him off with a slap on the hand, that means the judges and his defense attorneys. His parents who enabled him, his friends who thought it was fun to party with him because he always had the booze and the drugs. I blame the bars for thinking more of the money pit than they did the safety of innocent victims knowing he was impaired. I applaud the officers who set up the check points, I'd help them anytime they want to set it up! I applaud the officers who look for dwi offenders and haul them off the road;maybe that means someone will live a little longer that night! I applaud the prosecutors who take dwi offenses seriously and prosecute them fully. I spit on defense attorneys who defend these people, because they are just murderers waiting to kill. I don't know how defense attorneys sleep who defend dwi offenders who have killed or caused someone's life to be shattered forever. We send these pieces of crap to prison for the taxpayer to have to keep up, but at least they're not on the roads, killing. They get out of prison one day, my body keeps me in a prison of pain I can never fully escape from. BUT I am a survivor, because I will never give up and let the murderer take what life and joy I have left!
let it be

Faison, NC

#17 Aug 16, 2010
i agree 100% with dwi victim-survivor. hang the drunk drivers the FIRST time they're caught! no second chances. ive had several friends killed by drunk drivers and know someone who was a drunk driver and killed someone. hang them and let them rot! and Richard- you may quote statistics till you turn blue in the face. i dont care what some pencil pusher writes on a paper. we are talking REALITY here! experience the loss of a loved one by a drunk or pilled up loser and then come back here and quote statistics! you drink-you drive- you hang!

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#18 Aug 17, 2010
let it be wrote:
... Richard- you may quote statistics till you turn blue in the face. i dont care what some pencil pusher writes on a paper. we are talking REALITY here! experience the loss of a loved one by a drunk or pilled up loser and then come back here and quote statistics!
Ahahahahahahaha, you don't like facts, just your conjured up stories.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caldwell County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeweler accused of buying stolen jewelry Jan 22 Stick 19
Murder victim Raoul Dula, suspect Earl Moore Jr... (Jun '13) Jan 22 dtp 5150 145
Caldwell Co. authorities arrest 2 on meth lab c... Jan 18 Hank 1
Celebrating Martin Luther King's dream in Lenoir (Jan '13) Jan 13 State of Florida 11
New firm bringing 150 jobs to Lenoir (Jan '12) Jan 12 lenoir redneck 43
Grant allows scientific experiments with the al... Dec '14 Mee 1
Mixed feelings among area magistrates on same-s... Dec '14 Robert 2
More from around the web