Cabell judge blocks dogs euthanasia

Cabell judge blocks dogs euthanasia

There are 21 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Feb 22, 2012, titled Cabell judge blocks dogs euthanasia. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Two aging dogs are at the center of a legal battle in Cabell County over whether a shelter should follow their previous owner's directive to euthanize them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dogger

Dallas, TX

#1 Feb 22, 2012
Judge should tell them to return the blood money and let te volunteer adopt them. No reason to put down the dogs if someone will love them. If they have health problems, why didnt the etthat diagnosed those problems put them down?
Agree

West Hamlin, WV

#2 Feb 22, 2012
Dogger wrote:
Judge should tell them to return the blood money and let te volunteer adopt them. No reason to put down the dogs if someone will love them. If they have health problems, why didnt the etthat diagnosed those problems put them down?
I fully agree!! Kudos to this judge! How could the owerner be so cruel? I hope they let the volunteer adopt them and give them a great life no matter how old they are or how long they live!!
dont agree

Proctorville, OH

#4 Feb 22, 2012
I think she should of stayed with the dogs while they were putting them down or took them to the vets[that is what they are there for.]They just payed a small fee and handed them over if they cared so much for their dogs they would be there during their last minutes not leave them in strangers hands.I have dogs of my own and I would never send them to the pound for any reasons and I am there when they are old and on their last minutes of life.Just because a dog is old [if it is not in severe pain]then I don't see why it can't live out the rest of it's life whether it is 2 months or 2 years and not be left at the pound.
Dogger

United States

#5 Feb 23, 2012
straight shooter wrote:
When dogs are old and sick, you put them to sleep. That is the cold hard facts of life. To let the dogs suffer anymore is cruel and those valunteers have no reason being around animals. Quite living in your fantasy world and realize what's best for the animals.
The owner 'says' the dogs are sick, but there doesn't seem to be evidence supporting this claim and the volunteer sees no reason to kill innovent animals because a previous owner says to.
max

United States

#6 Feb 23, 2012
Let a vet decide if the dogs really were sick. Good job to the judge
mind ur business

Newport News, VA

#7 Feb 23, 2012
The woman paid for a service that should have been rendered. She was doing what She felt was right and best for her animals. Everyone that has a heart, knows that isnt an easy decision, and she took the time and word of her vet, that her animals were suffering and in pain. She did the right thing! The volunteers had no right or place to stick their nose in someone elses business. Personally i think the cabell wayne shelter will be better without them being there causing more trouble and harm than good. And using people from the daily report will be both good for the shelter and the ones sent to help. I hope that judge does the right thing, and let those poor animals be layed to rest, and i hope the owner can find some peace of mind thru all this crap.
just wondering

Proctorville, OH

#8 Feb 23, 2012
mind ur business wrote:
The woman paid for a service that should have been rendered. She was doing what She felt was right and best for her animals. Everyone that has a heart, knows that isnt an easy decision, and she took the time and word of her vet, that her animals were suffering and in pain. She did the right thing! The volunteers had no right or place to stick their nose in someone elses business. Personally i think the cabell wayne shelter will be better without them being there causing more trouble and harm than good. And using people from the daily report will be both good for the shelter and the ones sent to help. I hope that judge does the right thing, and let those poor animals be layed to rest, and i hope the owner can find some peace of mind thru all this crap.
If she had them to the vet and they were in that bad shape how come she didn't have them put down while she was there
golden retriever owner

Charleston, WV

#9 Feb 24, 2012
Having owned several golden retrievers these dogs are 14 years old above what they should have lived(average life 11 years). If the owner had them 14 years she is very attached to these dogs and made a extremely hard decision. If the woman could not pay for the vet to put them down the woman did the right thing. The shelter should have been able to do what they were contracted to do, the volunteers have no rights or say in the matter and should have just gone along with what they volunteered to do. Bad decision judge you are ruling against an agreement between a owner and business. Stop being PC and do your job.
wow

Millstone, WV

#10 Feb 24, 2012
This is absolutly absurd. How does the volunteer and Judge know better than a vet and the owner of the dogs for 14 YEARS!!! This volunteer is doing this society an injustice by making this stand, and just creating more problems where there were none to begin with. ITS A DOG!!! Its not long before we start applying rights from the constitution to animals...

fuck this, so many PEOPLE are suffering in this city and this is what people take a stand for, it makes me sick when you put it in perspective, wasting our elected officials time with a matter like this, no wonder our country is in the shape it is.
golden retriever owner

Charleston, WV

#11 Feb 24, 2012
AMEN
MDL

Huntington, WV

#12 Feb 24, 2012
wow wrote:
This is absolutly absurd. How does the volunteer and Judge know better than a vet and the owner of the dogs for 14 YEARS!!! This volunteer is doing this society an injustice by making this stand, and just creating more problems where there were none to begin with. ITS A DOG!!! Its not long before we start applying rights from the constitution to animals...
fuck this, so many PEOPLE are suffering in this city and this is what people take a stand for, it makes me sick when you put it in perspective, wasting our elected officials time with a matter like this, no wonder our country is in the shape it is.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1...

Open mouth, insert foot. The judge and the volunteer are doing exactly what the vet said was appropriate.
AnimalLover

Huntington, WV

#13 Feb 24, 2012
Only know a little about this particular case, but I know that animal shelter recently got a good housecleaning. If these volunteers are new, it sounds like they've brought in more attention-seeking nuts, and if they were there before the several employees got fired recently, sounds like they were cut from the same cloth, and should have been told they weren't needed back then. That animal shelter is totally screwed up. Sorry, it's true. Now everybody start foaming at the mouth because I don't believe that a pet should be made to live many extra years, suffering and in pain, just to satisfy a silly person's vanity. Nothing says dignity to a dog like one of those little wheelchair carts and a diaper. Yeah, that's how God meant them to spend their days.
Read much

Huntington, WV

#14 Feb 24, 2012
Link to the article above says a vet looked at the dogs and they are not suffering and shouldn't be put down. Sounds like the owner just didnt want them anymore.
nunya

Hermitage, TN

#15 Feb 24, 2012
Nyah nyah to the naysayers, these dogs have been adopted.
OldddDogs

Huntington, WV

#16 Feb 24, 2012
Only know from the pictures, but for pities sake, look at how WHITE those dogs are in the face. Those are OOLLLLDDD dogs. For the owner to have had them so very long must kind of prove she was giving them excellent care for many years. I've had pets for many years and watched them get very old. They turn gray like us, and they get arthritis and most ailments that old folks get. So yeah, it's quite likely there were suffering, at least with age. Those are some seriously old dogs. They're bound to need arthritis meds at the very least, just so they can get up off the floor.
nunya

Hermitage, TN

#17 Feb 24, 2012
I don't get your point. If a new owner wishes to give them medication and take care of them, why the hell would you, the former owner or anyone else care? For all we know the former owner took them to the shelter to spite an ex or something like that. I've seen it happen before.
Not hardly

West Hamlin, WV

#18 Feb 24, 2012
OldddDogs wrote:
Only know from the pictures, but for pities sake, look at how WHITE those dogs are in the face. Those are OOLLLLDDD dogs. For the owner to have had them so very long must kind of prove she was giving them excellent care for many years. I've had pets for many years and watched them get very old. They turn gray like us, and they get arthritis and most ailments that old folks get. So yeah, it's quite likely there were suffering, at least with age. Those are some seriously old dogs. They're bound to need arthritis meds at the very least, just so they can get up off the floor.
Well I just hope then that my kids do not send me to an old folks home and pay to have me "euthanised" because I am old, gray and have arthritis!! Really? Are you kidding me?? Just because they are old doesnt mean they cant live out the remaining life happily and why in the world would the owner be so cruel to just drop them off and throw a few bucks at them and say put them down?? Why in the world wouldnt she have stayed with them at a vets office till they passed over?? If she has had them that long and loved them that much and im sure they gave her years of love, then thats the least she could have done!

Hooray for the judge who blocked the order and much admiration goes out to the volunteer who took them in! That is a true animal lover!! Shame on that owner and I hope she feels the guilt of this for sometime and hope she NEVER gets another pet!!!
watch the news

Proctorville, OH

#19 Feb 24, 2012
OldddDogs wrote:
Only know from the pictures, but for pities sake, look at how WHITE those dogs are in the face. Those are OOLLLLDDD dogs. For the owner to have had them so very long must kind of prove she was giving them excellent care for many years. I've had pets for many years and watched them get very old. They turn gray like us, and they get arthritis and most ailments that old folks get. So yeah, it's quite likely there were suffering, at least with age. Those are some seriously old dogs. They're bound to need arthritis meds at the very least, just so they can get up off the floor.
If you watch the news you could see the dogs walking without any stiffness and getting in the car without any assistance.I am sure the the animal shelter didn't give them arthritis medicine and they seem to have life left in them.All they wanted from the owners were vet records saying how ill the dogs were but for some reason the owner never supplied anything from the vets.I do not blame the owners but think the shelter need to get proof before putting any dog down that anyone ask them to.A vet today gave them a clean bill of health to be adopted so that should tell you something wasn't right with the story the owner gave in the beginning.
OldddDogs

Huntington, WV

#20 Feb 25, 2012
nunya wrote:
I don't get your point. If a new owner wishes to give them medication and take care of them, why the hell would you, the former owner or anyone else care? For all we know the former owner took them to the shelter to spite an ex or something like that. I've seen it happen before.
I wasn't saying that they should have been put down. I can't judge that. I was just saying that they were way past the typical age for that breed. 14 is amazing. To me, that indicates they'd had excellent care and love all of their lives. I was not saying that being old meant they should be put down. A poster said that they didn't appear to be suffering. I am an older person, with a hell of a case of arthritis, and so I know how painful it is. I really sympathize with old animals, because think how that cold gets in their bones, down there on the floor. I was trying to make the person that said they weren't suffering realize that they very likely ARE suffering from age pains. So they probably should get at least some arthritis meds. They hurt like we do, I'm sure. As to whether or not people should linger on an on, bodies broke down with age...for myself, I've lived a full life. I want to hang on for a while yet, but if I get to the point where I'm in constant pain and 98 years old (which is the age of these dogs, in human years), I hope I slip away in my sleep. I've lived a pretty good life. I don't want to lay and suffer. Others feel differently, but that's just me.
blah

Huntington, WV

#21 Feb 25, 2012
Point blank period she was lying. For all we know these were a family members dogs who possibly passed away and the woman simply did not want them. People keep saying the owner knew best, but it can't be proven that she was the actual owner. I doubt anyone who owned and loved an animal for 14 years could simply drop them off and say put them down. Glad the Goldies are now safe and warm. To the volunteers I want to say thank you for having a heart when so many others obviously did not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cabell County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'It's very humbling,' Huntington fire chief say... Apr 22 get a life 20
What was going on around 31street and 5th Ave Apr 1 ThreeDrunkElephants 3
Work Apr 1 ThreeDrunkElephants 2
News Arson Investigation Under Way in Cabell County ... (Mar '08) Apr 1 ThreeDrunkElephants 2
The Vatican approves the hospital merger Mar 26 Resident 1
Gina Towne Mar '18 Want to know 2
Shawn T Branch 921 11th Street Mar '18 Afraid 1