Appeals court: CMS owes charters

Appeals court: CMS owes charters

There are 1 comment on the Charlotte.com story from Feb 6, 2008, titled Appeals court: CMS owes charters. In it, Charlotte.com reports that:

“I look forward to the day when our schools will get paid their just due”

Five Charlotte-area charter schools today won another round in their legal battle for a larger share of county education money, with an appeals court ruling that could cost Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools more than $450,000.

The N.C. Court of Appeals sided completely with the charter schools against CMS. A three-judge panel said the $165,000 a Superior Court judge awarded the schools in 2006 isn't enough.

Today's ruling doesn't spell out the amount owed. Richard Vinroot, a lawyer for the charter schools, said CMS owes $457,146 based on today's ruling alone -- and more than $2.1 million if the district also complies with a January ruling in a related case. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charlotte.com.

Jim

Matthews, NC

#1 Feb 7, 2008
Does it really cost $150,000 per class room to educate a child. The teacher only gets a small portion of this. Time to cut back on other expenses isn't it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cabarrus County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Disturbing new details on how 17-day-old baby died Feb 16 lovely lady 1
News Early voting running ahead in North Carolina fr... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Lol 2
News NC governora s HB2 emails: Pressure before sign... (Oct '16) Oct '16 No. 1
Cabarrus County Arrest Records and Criminal Mug... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Logan 2
News Deputies search for suspects after shooting par... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Justice Wanted 2
mandatory bible classes in cabarrus middle scho... (Aug '15) Aug '15 jesse 1
News Head of Cabarrus advocacy group charged with se... (Jul '12) Sep '14 Stop Now 4
More from around the web