Pit bull shot and killed outside ownera s home

Apr 30, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Charlotte.com

A Cabarrus County animal control officer shot and killed a family's pit bull in the Ridge Crossing subdivision off Pitt School Road Thursday night after a caller said the dog had pinned her and her son and they couldn't get free.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Julie Warren

Charlotte, NC

#1 May 4, 2010
I love the fact that you guys only publish not even half of this story. This dog did NOT pin anyone down. This woman is a bold face LIER. This poor defenseless dog was petrified. All she wanted to do was stick with your companion but at the same time she wanted to go home and get out of this frightened situation and that UNEXPERIENCED (and I am choosing my words very approprately here)animal control officer MURDERED a beautiful family dog. The dog was playing with the kids in the neighborhood previous to this PYSCHO showing up. I am not willing to paying taxes on a company that is supposed to protect animals and instead because they are too lazy to do whatever it takes to get that poor baby back to her family he decided to shoot her DEAD. I am completely outraged and this Officer needs to be discharged and NEVER be allowed to be around animals again.
Elizabeth McClellan

Newport News, VA

#2 May 4, 2010
This family companion is all over YOUTUBE as an ambassador for the pit breed with 3 year old walking her down the street kids in park petting her. This precious Bella was a threat to NO ONE.This is unbelievable.Would this had happened if she was a poodle etc.!?!? I can't believe THIS happen. This is an OUTRAGE. This execcution should have never happened. Are they having any kind of training down there?
Jasmine Conell

Charlotte, NC

#3 May 4, 2010
To the officer who did his job THANK YOU for protecting us and our kids and other pets. Sad to see an animal killed but if this dog is loose who knows what the result can be. People who own pitbulls put themselves in this situation as these dogs are too strong so if/when they act aggressive it is too dangerous. This officer deserves a Letter of Commendation in his file. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
Julie Warren

Charlotte, NC

#4 May 4, 2010
He needs to be FIRED! That's why he needs. He used a gun in the middle of a bunch of children. What is so commendable about that? The kids were petting the dogs, there was NO aggressive behavios whatsoever. Just an experienced "whanabe" cop with a happy trigger. JERK!
John MacPherson

Concord, NC

#5 May 4, 2010
To the ignorent person posting this comment... figure out what your talking about before you open your mouth and show your true ignorence. That dog was running for it's life when it was shot, it was one of the sweetness dogs you would probably ever some into contact with. I am a proud owner of a loving pitbull that plays with the neighborhood kids on a daily basis. They come to MY door begging to play with MY pitbull. Don't be blinded by headlining stories... but i guess you might have already been brainwashed with horror stories of mean dogs.
Jasmine Conell wrote:
To the officer who did his job THANK YOU for protecting us and our kids and other pets. Sad to see an animal killed but if this dog is loose who knows what the result can be. People who own pitbulls put themselves in this situation as these dogs are too strong so if/when they act aggressive it is too dangerous. This officer deserves a Letter of Commendation in his file. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
Russell

Charlotte, NC

#6 May 4, 2010
Please contact David Graham at david.graham@davidgraham4sheri ff.com.
All of you can help by electing a new Sheriff in Cabarrus County. http://www.davidgraham4sheriff.com/Contact.ht...
Nothing against Riley but using a taser on a man in a tree stand leaving him in critical condition, two deputies arrested for doctor shopping and now this it obvious that there is a lack of police training and leadership. Sheriff Riley has a serious problem with admitting fault and this is why we need a new Sheriff in Cabarrus County.
JIM

Concord, NC

#7 May 4, 2010
I AM TIRED OF THE PUBLIC HEARING ONE SIDE OF THE STORY AND THINKING IT IS THE TRUTH. I MYSELF AM A POLICE OFFICER AND IM TIRED OF THE PUBLIC ALWAYS HANGING US OUT TO DRY AND THEN CALLING US WHEN THEY NEED US. I'M NOT SAYING WHO WAS RIGHT AND WHO WAS WRONG IN THIS SITUATION BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW 100%, BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ALWAYS "HATE ON COPS" REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU NEED HELP NEXT TIME......ALL OF US ARE NOT THE SAME!
LUCY

Charlotte, NC

#8 May 5, 2010
People are quick to judge the law... First of all.. there was a 6 year old that was fearful and cornered. THe office spent over 45 minutes trying to catpure this dog. That took priority over robberies, and other public safety for this officer. WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT A CHILD OR DOG?????????? Plus they show children playing in the street when the shots were fired - well would you have wanted this animal running loose with your children when a call came in that is cornered a 6 year old. PLEASE... THe office followed procedure. THE JOB OF THE OFFICER IS TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC. Without these guys/ ladies we would not be safe - they put their life on the line for us and all we can do it COMPLAIN about 1 dog. COME ON PEOPLE WHERE ARE YOUR HEADS AND PRIORITIES AT?????????
Stupified

Albemarle, NC

#9 May 5, 2010
If they felt the dog was a danger to people they would have shot it right away, not 20 or 45 minutes later. They saw what breed it was and decided to shoot.
LUCY comment for Russell

Charlotte, NC

#10 May 5, 2010
Russell.. This does not cause for you to go out and start throwing David out there for sherriff. This does not dictate Brad. Brad has done more for Cabarrus County and has his head on right. We don't need anyone else to come in here and try to clean house when things are fine. David works for Mecklenburg and if he can't do anything with Mecklenburg what make you think he can do better for cabarrus. Brad is a great fellow and takes care of his deputies. At least Cabarrus had not had issues with another county picking up their deptuies while they were out having a little to drink oh and while in uniform. Brad is a great Sherriff and will remain that way.
dog lover

Shelby, NC

#11 May 5, 2010
Jasmine Conell wrote:
To the officer who did his job THANK YOU for protecting us and our kids and other pets. Sad to see an animal killed but if this dog is loose who knows what the result can be. People who own pitbulls put themselves in this situation as these dogs are too strong so if/when they act aggressive it is todog o dangerous. This officer deserves a Letter of Commendatiin his file. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
\women you need to get your fax straight!!!! thank you thank you-you probally dont know where your kids are in the first place! if you would pay attention to the WHOLE story and not just the part you want to hear. You would know that noone was in danger! The cop was to damn lazy to do a good deed!
va dog lover

Reston, VA

#12 May 6, 2010
Although it may not have been the best decision to shoot the dog, the responsibility here lies with the owners. They claim that the dog is like a child to them, but who leaves their children in the backyard unattended while they are not home? I cannot possibly see why this was necessary--I have two dogs and would not even consider leaving them outside when I'm not home. Now of course they are planning to sue; too bad they didn't take responsibility for their pets before this tragedy occurred.
Fed Up

Charlotte, NC

#13 May 6, 2010
I think it's great to hear the majority of you pass judgement on an officer when I would bet that the same majority weren't eyewitnesses to any of this. Rememeber, the media and the upset (and rightfully so for missing their dog) owner are only giving their side. It is not like the officers from CPD or the Sheriffs Office are allowed to come forward and say a word. They have to hush and take it, even if they are in the right. Good lesson to learn, keep your dogs inside. Guaranteed there would be more of an outrage if the dog, no matter what breed, would have been left and mauled a child. Then those of you crucifying him now would be doing the same. Doesn't sound like the officer can win in the public eye and before you say he should lose his job, maybe you should know what the law and policies are. Between a dog and a child or anothers safety, safety wins. And no one has mentioned the two offices from another agency also advised the animal control officer that the dog was aggressive towards them however they cannot take action, they have to call animal control. See there are alot of things being left out of this story. I feel for the owner, but dont judge just one side before you get all the facts.
Fed Up

Charlotte, NC

#14 May 6, 2010
and by the way, I am not from Kings Mountain so obviously there is an issue with this site..
Fed Up

Charlotte, NC

#15 May 10, 2010
Julie Warren wrote:
He needs to be FIRED! That's why he needs. He used a gun in the middle of a bunch of children. What is so commendable about that? The kids were petting the dogs, there was NO aggressive behavios whatsoever. Just an experienced "whanabe" cop with a happy trigger. JERK!
I guess since you know all the facts you also know the owner was charged at the end of all this for threatening a different officers life? Yeah, I thought not. Poor dog, poor owner, whatever.
Charlie

Harrisburg, NC

#16 May 11, 2010
You are spot on with your comment. We pay these people to do a job and this young officer came through for us. The dog was loose,agressive and he made the right call. A Happy ending to this story.
Dave

Concord, NC

#17 May 23, 2010
I was bitten very badly by friends pet dog, in his lot. A large mixed breed, that knew me well, and had alwasys been friendly with me.
It was wagging his tail, and acting perfectly fine. So I thought. It was whining, but I thought it was whining for me to pet him. Actually, in retrospect, he was probably whining, because the kids next door were having a garden hose fight, and were screaming, and he was confused. Perhaps they had taunted him. I didn't put that all together then.
Anyway, he really chomped into me, puncturing my thigh deeply with several teeth. Had I not fallen out of his chains reach, there is no doubt he would've bitten me again.
If one of the neighbors children had gone to him, I have no doubt he could've killed one of them.
When I hear how a dog was "friendly", or was "a family pet" that wouldn't hurt a flea, I always look at my leg.
A dog is and will always be an animal first.
What if the officer would've let the dog run free, only to have it bite someone hours later? Would we not try to lynch him up then also?
With out being there, how can anybody judge so surely.
Amazed

Clemmons, NC

#18 May 28, 2010
I am really shocked at the lack of support for our officers. Most of you throwing this officer under the bus have no idea what the men and women go through on a daily/nightly basis. It was a tough call and he made it on his own. He weighed his options and made the best decision he could in this situation. It is unfortunate that family pet was taken but that was the officer's best options. To the officer that made this call, I support you and the rest of our officers. Thank you.
Stupified

Albemarle, NC

#19 May 28, 2010
He's not a police officer he's an animal control officer. The dog was running from him, not towards him. He was tired of chasing the dog so he shot it. Would you feel the same way if it was a lab, or a poodle, probably not.
Citizen distrust

Sharpsburg, GA

#20 Jun 2, 2010
Who cares what you're tired of. The tree is known by the fruit that it bears so when you run with thugs you'll be known as a thug. It doesn't matter whether you're the greatest person in the world.

And if you don't like responding to calls because people distrust you then the when payday comes be certain to decline the compensation and start looking for another job. You're the one who applied for it.. if you can't take it then leave!
JIM wrote:
I AM TIRED OF THE PUBLIC HEARING ONE SIDE OF THE STORY AND THINKING IT IS THE TRUTH. I MYSELF AM A POLICE OFFICER AND IM TIRED OF THE PUBLIC ALWAYS HANGING US OUT TO DRY AND THEN CALLING US WHEN THEY NEED US. I'M NOT SAYING WHO WAS RIGHT AND WHO WAS WRONG IN THIS SITUATION BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW 100%, BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ALWAYS "HATE ON COPS" REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU NEED HELP NEXT TIME......ALL OF US ARE NOT THE SAME!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cabarrus County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cabarrus Co. continue investigation into triple... (Feb '14) Feb '14 waka flaka 1
Deputies at police standoff in Harrisburg; repo... (Mar '13) Mar '13 jeremy H 1
County report clears officer who shot dog (May '10) Nov '12 shane 5
Family, friends search for clues in disappearan... (Sep '12) Sep '12 esa chica 1
Funeral for slain deputy in progress (Jul '12) Aug '12 Sal II 5
Harrisburg: Chick-fil-A would be welcome (Aug '12) Aug '12 mike deason 1
Head of Cabarrus advocacy group charged with se... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Danimal 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Cabarrus County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••