Letter: Speak out to preserve libraries

Letter: Speak out to preserve libraries

There are 4 comments on the Oroville Mercury-Register story from May 6, 2009, titled Letter: Speak out to preserve libraries. In it, Oroville Mercury-Register reports that:

I realize that during this time of economic hardships certain funding must be cut.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oroville Mercury-Register.

Freedom Fighter

Oroville, CA

#1 May 6, 2009
Libraries are important to our community. However,services essential to our basic survival should have top priorites. All services are going to have to take cuts. We all are just going to have to live with it until we have responsible politicians who know how to do more than just spend money that is not there.
Megan

Oroville, CA

#2 May 9, 2009
Freedom Fighter wrote:
Libraries are important to our community. However,services essential to our basic survival should have top priorites. All services are going to have to take cuts. We all are just going to have to live with it until we have responsible politicians who know how to do more than just spend money that is not there.
Really? That is your reply? Wow. Why don't you get off your azz and try and make some change? Run for an office since you seem to have all the answers. At least I am trying to do something that will benefit us! I think I'll write ANOTHER letter to support my community!
Brad

Oroville, CA

#3 May 10, 2009
So, when do we find out where all our taxes go? Does every concerned citizen have to run for office, esp. since it is expensive and time comsuming to run and actually get elected. Some people have to work just to pay their taxes, no way can they gamble on an expensive proposition. What we need to do is come together in one voice and ask questions, such as : Why does the State pay half its budget, lottery money, school fees on new construction, developer fees, bond money, school fundraisers, school fees for students themselves for some services, all this, yet they STILL claim to need more money. Where is the money we spend going to now? It is NOT just Teachers, I would say the bulk of leakage is going to admins. and other places(payoffs for political contributions?)
sandy hobart

AOL

#4 May 10, 2009
i agree with megan brown about cuts in the librarys, its gives us sanutary, peace i go to the oroville library all the time since i read alot i enjoy my time there the staff goes out of their way to be nice and help you find a book
now the county wants to cut the hours which they have plus the staff, the book moblile, and why??? for money what else
if the council would stop spending money on round abouts which i think is a toatl waste!!! and give more to the librarys and the schools and fire dept for which i understand they will be getting cutss too so if a person house catches on fire it burns to the ground!im getting ahead of myself any way save our library!!! and i will be at that may 19th meeting and i hope that everyone else will too to save our library!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Butte County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: Letter writer's thoughts objectionable (Feb '10) Mar '10 4thGenChico 32
News 09.OCT.08 Chamber discusses plans for special b... (Nov '08) Sep '09 aster 27
US man, Gabe Watson, who has been charged with ... (Oct '08) Oct '08 Amy 1
News Letter: Fireworks make a problem year worse (Jul '08) Jul '08 Charlie 3
More from around the web