Beavers found guilty of first-degree murder

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

John David Beavers will spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder of Dr.
Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Sep 25, 2007
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Laura

Greer, SC

#1 Sep 18, 2007
If ever there was a poster child for the death penalty, it truly was this man. Grief-stricken or not, drug induced or sober, to shoot a man in broad daylight in a doctor's exam room with dozens of people outside is asking for the needle.I cannot and will not feel sorry for this man. My heart is with Dr Ling and his family/co-workers.
Brad

Nashville, TN

#2 Sep 18, 2007
As a psychiatrist who has performed forensic exams I have had direct experience with creative legal attempts to medicalize evil... it is always a relief when a jury sees through the smoke and mirrors and are able to perceive the truth.
pradcliff

Asheville, NC

#3 Sep 18, 2007
My heart and prayers are with Dr Ling's family, friends and co-workers. AND THANKS FOR MAKING US PAY FOR HIM TO SIT BEHIND BARS UNTIL HE DIES!!!! When he really should have got DEATH
Me In NC

Asheville, NC

#5 Sep 18, 2007
Tell me why did he not get the needle or the chair?
Former MKA employee

Hendersonville, NC

#6 Sep 18, 2007
Big Wally wrote:
got to give this idiot credit, he didn't cry that voices told him to do it, he didn't cry he was molested as a child...
sounds like he told the truth... he wanted answers from his son's dr and decided it was high time he got them...
i can appreciatte that... i can also appreciatte him telling the truth in court...
i don't condone what he did, he is clearly a nut case....
I think this man should have gotten the death penalty for what he did. If NC has it, with this man it would have been "high time" to use it. There is nothing to appreciate about this monster.
Sue

United States

#7 Sep 18, 2007
There's nothing more dangerous than a man who has nothing to lose. John Beavers lost his wife to illness. Then he spent every dime he had on his son's healthcare and lost his home because of it. Then he lost his son. I don't condone what he did in any way, but with that kind of pressure on him, it's no wonder he snapped. It could happen to any one of us in the same situation. I feel very sorry for all involved, including John Beavers.
never

United States

#8 Sep 18, 2007
Former MKA employee wrote:
<quoted text>I think this man should have gotten the death penalty for what he did. If NC has it, with this man it would have been "high time" to use it. There is nothing to appreciate about this monster.
Judge not that you be not judged? Monster on that day but before this day he wasn't, sad to say he was like you and me just a regular person. To bad he could not think his thoughts through, we lost a wonderful doctor because of it. I fell so bad for everyone involved on both sides. Not only is the Ling family grieving but so is the family member of Mr. Beavers. This is one thing that will never go away for both of the families and if we really cared we should be helping all parties involved in this to come to some kind of a closure and maybe try to start living some kind of a life with out all the anger that has been there for the last 19 months.
marc

Asheville, NC

#9 Sep 18, 2007
Sue wrote:
it's no wonder he snapped. It could happen to any one of us in the same situation.
No, it couldn't. And no, he didn't "snap." He planned this out, very carefully and methodically, from setting up the appointment, to purchasing the ammunition, to taking the gun with him, even to taking someone else's vehicle and leaving it in a different parking lot. "Snapping" would be going in to talk to the doctor, losing control, and beating him with whatever was handy in the office. This was a planned execution.
Matt

Morganton, NC

#10 Sep 18, 2007
Stupid a s s Die Die Die
Johnny

Greensboro, NC

#11 Sep 18, 2007
Has anyone in this forum lost a child before?
Doc Holiday

Greenville, SC

#12 Sep 18, 2007
Beavers could not be tried for his life (Death Penalty) because there were no aggravating circumstances. I disagree with the law, but it is the law nevertheless.

For the record, Michael Beavers got excellent medical care from doctors/staff @ Mission Hosp. It is noteworthy that Defendant John Beavers was bringing crack and marijuana to his son Michael Beavers, while the latter was hospitalized at Mission. Thus, I think it unconscionable that Defendant Beavers lay ANY blame on anyone except himself for his crime and punishment. Also, it has been said that Defendant Beavers spent all his money on his son's medical care. This is absolutely false. Beavers spent all his money on crack cocaine.

The District Atty's Office: Mr. Moore and Ms. Dreyer deserve credit for a job well done!

Lastly, my deepest condolences to the Ling Family and the Mountain Kidney Staff! Words cannot express my sympathy.
Also Not Concerned

Shallotte, NC

#13 Sep 18, 2007
Johnny wrote:
Has anyone in this forum lost a child before?
Just because is child died doesn't give him any right to do what he did. People all over the country lose their kids or parents or grandparents every single day. You can't go around murdering people.
stuart

United States

#14 Sep 18, 2007
Big Wally wrote:
got to give this idiot credit, he didn't cry that voices told him to do it, he didn't cry he was molested as a child...
sounds like he told the truth... he wanted answers from his son's dr and decided it was high time he got them...
i can appreciatte that... i can also appreciatte him telling the truth in court...
i don't condone what he did, he is clearly a nut case....
i clearly doubt that hes a nutcase a murderer who knew what he was doing yes that i would agree with . too many times just cause drugs are involved or whatever reason we are quick to say it was a mental issue ... man should be dead end of story . take him out to pack square in broad daylight for all to see and shoot him just like he shot that doctor. a few public executions with one year for the appeals process and then bang should wake up a few of these idiots .
NormanOklahoma

United States

#15 Sep 18, 2007
What would Jesus do?
amm

Gaffney, SC

#16 Sep 18, 2007
None of us know for sure what we would have done in the same circumstances. I'd love to say that I would have taken the death of my son with dignity, but truth is, I may have felt the same way. I'm very sorry for Dr. Ling's family, friends, and colleagues, but I also feel sympathy for Mr. Beavers. I definitely believe in the death penalty, "an eye for an eye," but we should all feel some modicum of sadness for the whole situation, not the murderous rage of retaliation.
Fed up

Casar, NC

#17 Sep 18, 2007
I totally agree with Stuart! If we publicly executed these evil people on town square they would think twice. However when we put them up in some cushy jail where they have it better than a whole lot of our own citizens and let them live there until the end of their days is ridiculous. I believe you should give them their time with the preacher to get right with God and then let them swing! Bring hanging back or give them the same death that they caused! When there is no doubt whatsoever of the guilty person involved why we should pay all of that money per year is a tragedy! God bless the Ling family and friends.
Our court system is a joke! If we are lucky, someone in jail will take care of him!!!!
cthruthelies

Flat Rock, NC

#20 Sep 18, 2007
Big Wally wrote:
<quoted text>
there aren't enough shells out there to wake up these idiots...
How the hell you know he told the truth? We're you in the courtroom or privy to his or his son's medical history? Typical; believe everything the paper tells you right?!! A crack addict espousing his recollection of the facts. Way to go Wally ha ha
brilliant

United States

#21 Sep 18, 2007
Fed up wrote:
I totally agree with Stuart! If we publicly executed these evil people on town square they would think twice. However when we put them up in some cushy jail where they have it better than a whole lot of our own citizens and let them live there until the end of their days is ridiculous. I believe you should give them their time with the preacher to get right with God and then let them swing! Bring hanging back or give them the same death that they caused! When there is no doubt whatsoever of the guilty person involved why we should pay all of that money per year is a tragedy! God bless the Ling family and friends.
Our court system is a joke! If we are lucky, someone in jail will take care of him!!!!
No, actually our court system is clogged almost to a standstill because of selfish, under- or uneducated, impulse-driven, conscience-less people who are very poor problem solvers and who want "easy solutions." In short, they sound and maybe even act a lot like you do. "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" is a philosophy of a depraved people and I think maybe deep down you might even realize that.

Capital punishment has been PROVEN a failure as a deterrent. And your comment about "cushy jail" is just staggeringly ignorant. "cushy" compared to what--Abu Graib?

We have a technology driven, gadget-crazed, money-obsessed, winner-take-all society that places incredibly little value on human problem solving skills, which are fundamentally linguistic/emotional skills. Both Beavers and Ling were victims of poor communication & poor introspection, and now both of their lives are wasted. For all we know, Beavers might have talked as big as you about "justice" and "eye for an eye" and quoted Old Testament passages about avenging the loss of a son. The jury made a tough yet just decision, and so the court system WORKED.

“RadicalDudette”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#22 Sep 18, 2007
Johnny wrote:
Has anyone in this forum lost a child before?
One can turn that question around and ask,
"Has anyone ever lost a parent?"

Sometimes I wish my father pursued the hospital system in Greenville, SC as to why they operated on my mother when it was only a biopsy case.

Her drs should have lost their license to practice.

The only thing different in this, my father DID not KILL anyone.

So don't go get on that pity party wagon.

“RadicalDudette”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#23 Sep 18, 2007
Sue wrote:
There's nothing more dangerous than a man who has nothing to lose. John Beavers lost his wife to illness. Then he spent every dime he had on his son's healthcare and lost his home because of it. Then he lost his son. I don't condone what he did in any way, but with that kind of pressure on him, it's no wonder he snapped. It could happen to any one of us in the same situation. I feel very sorry for all involved, including John Beavers.
So if Mr. Beavers had nothing to lose, why didn't
he take his own life, rather than a dedicated doctor?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buncombe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City Council Member Frees Traffic Jam In City Lot Aug 24 Dixie Hillbilly 28
Funding crunch means some NC students share tex... Aug 14 ApePeeD 1
Second American infected with Ebola en route to US Aug 5 ApePeeD 1
Drowning reported at lake Aug 1 ApePeeD 1
North Carolina: Asheville's 'sanctuary policy' ... Jul '14 yep 5
Ladson man charged with felony bigamy Jul '14 ApePeeD 1
Buncombe County Commissioners seek to approve 2... Jul '14 ApePeeD 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Buncombe County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••