Tornado warning issued for parts of WNC

Tornado warning issued for parts of WNC

There are 62 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 6, 2009, titled Tornado warning issued for parts of WNC. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A tornado warning has been issued for southern Buncombe County, southeastern Haywood County, northwestern Henderson County and north central Transylvania County until 10:45 a.m. Just after 10 a.m., a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was reported near Sunburst east of Waynesville and moving east at 30 mph.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
KES

Waynesville, NC

#1 May 6, 2009
Morons...
I guess no one here has ever seen a thunderstorm?????
We send children outdoors to play in Texas with weather like this.
Pretty sad commentary on sensibility here...

Since: May 07

Lincolnton, NC

#2 May 6, 2009
Is it really a good idea for children to be playing in the vicinity of lightning?

Since: Jul 08

Candler, NC

#3 May 6, 2009
There's already a lot of wrecks in Skyland, and just got 1 in. of rain in North Weavertucky in less than a half hour.
bamSH

Boiling Springs, SC

#4 May 6, 2009
mlc9852 wrote:
Is it really a good idea for children to be playing in the vicinity of lightning?
That would depend on the kid.
LOKEL

United States

#5 May 6, 2009
KES wrote:
Morons...
Well, head back to Texas if you are so sensible.
horsefan

Hickory, NC

#6 May 6, 2009
KES wrote:
Morons...
Did you miss the word Tornado, I agree people over react to weather here but I highly doubt you would send your child outside to play in severe weather.
Nurse

Savannah, GA

#7 May 6, 2009
Those who are in the business of predicting inclement weather, and warning the public of the possibility of dangerous weather conditions, might want to brush up on their terminology.

A tornado watch indicates that conditions are favorable for the formation of a tornado.

A tornado warning, on the other hand, indicates that a tornado has been sighted.

According to the article, no tornado has been sighted yet, the current weather conditions are being referred to as a tornado warning.

“WeaverVEGAS baby!”

Since: Feb 07

Weaverville, NC

#8 May 6, 2009
there has been wind damage reported in west asheville. People even reported some funnel clouds in canton and candler
Master of the Obvious

Waynesville, NC

#9 May 6, 2009
KES wrote:
Morons...
The tornado warning was not issued by "moron" locals but by the NOAA National Weather Service. And I imagine that they have in fact ever seen a thunderstorm, in far more detail than you ever have. The locals can choose to do whatever they wish with this information- in this case pragmatically removing children from in front of the windows in their flimsily built schools. I recon that you would be among those calling the administrators morons if they failed to take action and children were hurt, and for that matter this action strikes me as more sensible than the "lockdowns" that schools do these days whenever someone may or may not have been seen nearby with a weapon.(One of our local schools went into hours long lockdown over a jumbo squirt gun for instance. Frankly I think a convective thunderstorm seems the more immediate danger).

Does anyone here remember the tornado/microburst that tore the roof off of the Arts complex at Asheville High School before trashing some apartments on Doctor's Drive? That was over a weekend and no students were in place, but I remember that the band room had a lot of destroyed musical instruments that were expensive to replace... sometime back in the early 1990s I think.
Tax This

Maxton, NC

#10 May 6, 2009
KES wrote:
Morons...
A TORNADO warning is much more serious than a thunderstorm.
Go back to Texas, and stay off our roads.
roger

Asheville, NC

#11 May 6, 2009
Nurse wrote:
Those who are in the business of predicting inclement weather, and warning the public of the possibility of dangerous weather conditions, might want to brush up on their terminology.
A tornado watch indicates that conditions are favorable for the formation of a tornado.
A tornado warning, on the other hand, indicates that a tornado has been sighted.
According to the article, no tornado has been sighted yet, the current weather conditions are being referred to as a tornado warning.
The tornado was sighted by radar.

Since: May 07

Asheville, NC

#12 May 6, 2009
bamSH wrote:
<quoted text>
That would depend on the kid.
Lol...
twarning

Maxton, NC

#13 May 6, 2009
Hi Nurse- If radar indicates a storm could produce a tornado (i.e. rotation)- a warning is issued.
NC Cub Fan

Asheville, NC

#14 May 6, 2009
Nurse wrote:
And YOU might want to leave the "armchair forecasting" up to someone who actually knows what he/she is talking about. Radar DID indicate that a tornado WAS FORMING, hence the warning. One does not actually have to be spotted by eyewitnesses for a warning to be issued.
Last Buffalo

Maxton, NC

#15 May 6, 2009
KES wrote:
Morons...
Here's a suggestion for you. Go outside in a thunderstorm and fly a kite or, better yet, hold a metal pole in your hand. Could it be that Texas is so sparsely populated because most of the inhabitants have been wiped out for stupid thinking much like yours?
local rider

Greenville, SC

#16 May 6, 2009
twarning wrote:
Hi Nurse- If radar indicates a storm could produce a tornado (i.e. rotation)- a warning is issued.
No, that produces a watch
What

Boone, NC

#17 May 6, 2009
Nurse wrote:
I think we are moving past the days when actual human sightings are what determine the warning. They've been basing their calls on radar all morning.

The article stated, "According to the National Weather Service, radar indicated a tornado near Swannanoa east of Asheville at 10:56 a.m.

From the following:

http://www.tornadochaser.net/doppler.html

When the National Weather Service has issued a Doppler indicated tornado warning it means that Doppler radar has indicated a tornado over that area. A Doppler radar indicated tornado has not necessarily touched down on the ground, but is instead rotation that has been detected in the clouds. For this reason when the national weather service sends out a tornado warning it is very important to take the proper precautions because a tornado is very likely to set down at any moment if it hasn't already.
faithful4ever

Spruce Pine, NC

#18 May 6, 2009
All I can say is thank goodness the NOAA was watching out for us...otherwise some of us might have been swept away during this heated "discussion."
Darkhorse

Hickory, NC

#19 May 6, 2009
In North Carolina our brains are in the head, in Texas they must be in the rectum.
KES wrote:
Morons...
Ashevegas

United States

#20 May 6, 2009
KES wrote:
Morons...
You know, everything is bigger in Texas, including the mental defects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buncombe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local economies in shambles as North Carolina p... Jul 26 BicPen 1
DSS/CPS Corruption (Sep '11) Jul 25 Dawn1778 4
Understanding Asheville city and county-wide sc... Jun '17 FutureECTecher 1
fire and iron mc (Dec '12) Apr '17 steve 39
News Police: Texas man wrote worthless check of $775... (Apr '12) Feb '17 Curious coloradoan 15
Dicos Background Check (Nov '16) Nov '16 Larry 2
News Crime 33 mins ago 4:23 p.m.Blount Co. deputy fa... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Fox Watson 1
More from around the web