Food Stamp Qualifications Could Be Changing

May 23, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WWNC-AM Asheville

Tammy Johnson says she was recently denied food stamps because her husband makes too much money.

Comments
1 - 20 of 85 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
pat

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 11, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

i recently applied for food stamps because i am a single mom whom just had knee surgery and on dissability short term. i make 21 dollars too much. what a joke. the government needs to up the limit for food stamp qualifacations with rising food cost instead of sitting around with their bellys full while the working class starve.
kel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 29, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

i was denied food stamps and i am a part-time working mom they said my husband makes too much money but in the mean time i can not afford to pay my mortgage, oil, electric and so on...i need to choose on week if we have food or lights or heat its not fair.if i was not an american or from a different country it would be eiasier
Melinda

Guyton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 2, 2008
 
I recently applied for food stamps and was $22 dollars over. That's crap.. We have no money and yet we are over qualified.. The limit is rediculous. I was told that the system will change the qualifiactions in october considering that the cost of living has increased. I will deffinatly be reaplying in October.
Angel

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 4, 2008
 
My husband's company closed down WITHOUT WARNNING. I have been fighting for disability for two years now. We depleted all of our savings trying to stay afloat. We were turned down for food stamps because his unemployment checks were $413/week. We have 3 school aged children, a mortgage, car payment, high light and heating bills, not to mention all of my medical bills each month due to my illness. We were told that we could pay for health insurance, meet our bills nd purchase food with $413/week. This is a joke. I will reapply this Monday.
Intresting

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 27, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Ok I went and got food stamps because my husband up and left and I was a stay at home mom. After I pay rent, lights, water I have 200 a month. Not trying to be rude if you have 400 a week, you need to cut your bills. I don't have any extras.
When I applied for food stamps, I rcvd them because I have no money it had nothing to do with race.
Food Stamps are not there to help you because you don't have enough money after you pay for a family cell phone bill or a car payment for a big SUV. The fact that people get turned down is because you are not as "poor" as you could be.
True Mexican from Texas

Bangs, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 4, 2008
 

Judged:

3

1

1

jim wrote:
if you were black or mexican you could get stamps
You are dead wrong!! i am Mexican and proud of it yet i bust my chops working and going to college to better myself and family but I too was once denied because we "earned too much" yea, right!! only the hillbillies or blacks get the help (i could say that too) but be realistic, in general if you work you are screwed whoever the hell you are!!!
Julio

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 7, 2008
 

Judged:

1

DO you know that 60% of the food stamps never get to be used, every year?
Thank your CON-gress-MAN Law makers in Washington.
Lacajin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 10, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

I have recieved food stamps for a year. Now I get a letter stating that i will no longer recieve my food stamps because they didnt get my paper work. Well, were did it go? I sent the paper work they ask for to them in Oct. Repeatly I call the social worker and never recieved a call back. THis is a joke. People if you are so far behind, dont do what you have done to me. You know the paper work got there. Now its going to cost me more money to fax it to them. I am 61, disabled and a diabetic. Now, I guess when they get these papers, they will say, I make to much money..What a laugh! No! I'm not laughing! I think it is a shame that we are judged by other people that miss uses the system. Really, I'm not one of them. Now! I see why there's so many people living on the street. So sad and this is America.
workin mom of 2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 11, 2008
 
jim wrote:
if you were black or mexican you could get stamps

you are wrong i'm mexican and i was denied... it doesn't matter your race because you go to that office and you are going to see at least one person in their white, mexican, black, or asian welfare doesn't know a race its just prone to lazy ass people its their to assist you but its sad that people in our society take advantage and the ones who do need it the ones actually working have to suffer along with their family
sheena

Yatesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 26, 2008
 

Judged:

1

i do have to say that american people get screwed with food stamps... my husband and i are both hard working, we where just recently married,buying our house and paying the bills on time... when it comes down to the end what do we have left? nothing! yep i applied and yep we got denied.. is it far,no but that is how it goes... i have more medical bills to pay out then a month of hard work can bring in. i guess thats what it is when your hard working.. i do have one thing to say, for all the people that are sitting around all day that are able to get out there and work it is sick you depend on other people to pay your way... we make 10 dollars over the limit and they wont budge... food is out house is a gallon of tea, peanut butter, jelly, and bread.... where did most of it come from the food bank... i guess you can say we are 2 more americans that have been screwed because we work to hard!
WINKER

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 27, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

HUH??... I WONDER IF WE GO TO MEXICO IF THE MEXICAN GOVERMENT WILL TAKE CARE OF ME AND MY FAMILY
fustrated

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 2, 2008
 
In September, I lost my job of ten years. I do get unemployment but that isn't enough to support a family of 5. I went and applied for food stamps and medicaid. Fortunately, the kids already had medicaid as back up for my health insurance, but that ended and they have that. My husband and I was out of insurance at the end of month. It took me over a month, to find out that we only get $10 in food stamps and for medicaid, my husband and I have to pay $484 deductible each month, just to get medicaid. That isn't fair. How can I get enough food for $10 a month, with 3 growing boys?? That is such a joke. I don't like how they figure the food stamps and the medicaid. Do you think I wanted to get laid off? NO. I do have a vehicle payment, but I bought it when I was working. I can't just give it back, because then I would still have to pay for it and then I wouldn't have a vehicle to find a job or get the kids to appointments or anything.
US Voter

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 13, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Those of you who voted for Republicans, like Reagan, Bush, and McCain should take heed to all the comments listed hear about being denied for food stamps and how hard it is for a working family to make it. Remember what your Republican brothers and sisters told you, "If you don't tax the rich the poor will get more". Are you getting more with their tax cuts. Republican tax cuts was for those of you when you were working and made over $200,000 a year.
charlene

Satellite Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 31, 2008
 
jim wrote:
if you were black or mexican you could get stamps
I think the comment you made was a bunch of BS and very racist. There are just as many whites that is on public assistance!!! stop being so discriminating.
charlene

Satellite Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 31, 2008
 

Judged:

1

The comment about being able to get fod stamps if you were black or mexican was very racist and ignorant. There are just as many whites on pulic assistance, so that's bull shit. Whites have it way easier than blacks ever will !!!
juanita

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 5, 2009
 
jim wrote:
if you were black or mexican you could get stamps
What does being black and mexican have to do with receiving stamps. there are just as many whites and hispanics receiving stamps as well but more emphasis are put on african american because white folks like you want to believe your ignorant statement.
Sharon from New Jersey

Marcus Hook, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 5, 2009
 

Judged:

1

" Jim wrote : If you were black or mexican you would get stamps"
I'm an african american woman with two beautiful kids trying to survive cancer. But I got denied. Yes I'm a hard-working mother. I've been working since I was 14 years of age, and where does dat leave me ? Paying taxes just like everyone else. Do you no how it feels to tell your children the reason they have to do their homework by candle light is because mommy has to pay for her treatments? Eventhough mommy has health insurance, mommy still has to pay 75% of it out of pocket. So where's my stamps ? Its sad when u have to make life decisions on a daily basis. What bill can you put off so we can at least eat today ? Things like that happen to everyone in the working class regardless of race.
Mom_to_TWO

Mount Pleasant, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 6, 2009
 
I am a single mom of a 2 yr old and a 3 month old. My 3 mont old have a open clet palate so I cant work because she has to have 24 hr attention and be fead special. She does not get a check. There dad works offshore and maybe gives them 200 a piece if he wants to. The food tamp ofice told me that I cant receieve food stamps because he makes enough money to support my 2 kids and his "new" family. That has nothing to do with me paying bills. I cant get on a work program or s.s.i. for her.
Carol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 27, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

jim wrote:
if you were black or mexican you could get stamps
Oh My God what a Crock!!! That is NOT TRUE, You need to get a life and stop blaming blacks and hispanics for your misfortunte.
excellent 77026

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 13, 2009
 
Angel wrote:
My husband's company closed down WITHOUT WARNNING. I have been fighting for disability for two years now. We depleted all of our savings trying to stay afloat. We were turned down for food stamps because his unemployment checks were $413/week. We have 3 school aged children, a mortgage, car payment, high light and heating bills, not to mention all of my medical bills each month due to my illness. We were told that we could pay for health insurance, meet our bills nd purchase food with $413/week. This is a joke. I will reapply this Monday.
try catholic charities for mortgage.try social services in your area also.a nonprofit will help with social security foodstamps etc.in texas it is lonestar leagal fountain.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buncombe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City Council Member Frees Traffic Jam In City Lot Aug 24 Dixie Hillbilly 28
Funding crunch means some NC students share tex... Aug 14 ApePeeD 1
Second American infected with Ebola en route to US Aug 5 ApePeeD 1
Drowning reported at lake Aug 1 ApePeeD 1
North Carolina: Asheville's 'sanctuary policy' ... Jul '14 yep 5
Ladson man charged with felony bigamy Jul '14 ApePeeD 1
Buncombe County Commissioners seek to approve 2... Jul '14 ApePeeD 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Buncombe County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••