Letters offer inmates chance to reach out

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Rev.Jerome Harper of New Generation Ministries in Hpt. is urging Virginia prisoners to reach out to at-risk youths, and write letters to troubled kids about their own mistakes so the kids don't make same ...
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Aug 10, 2008
Richard Harris

United States

#1 Aug 10, 2008
"troubled" kids - what great code speak for "Thugs" who would sooner rape/rob you than read (if they could) a letter from anyone. While the pastor has a good idea, these little "troubled" kids couldn't care less. He would be better off having these kids meet the prisoners for one on one sessions.
common sense

United States

#3 Aug 10, 2008
Herman King wrote:
All prisoners aren't thugs. And all thugs aren't prisoners. Some are behind bars because they said or did something politically incorrect. You could go to jail for calling President Bush a moron, even though in his case that's a compliment.
Go back to bed. This isn't communist China.
tmintz

Newport News, VA

#4 Aug 10, 2008
If a million letters come in and it saves one child then it is worth it. I know first hand that prison will change your life. My husband is there. He got addicted to crack at the age of 43 after a "normal" marriage and while we were raising a family of 3 boys. He tried something a friend told him was just a mood relaxer!! Yes it relaxed his mood, He was instantly addicted! He began spend all our money, then when that was gone, he began to steal, lie, cheat from his family, his friends, his children, his community, everything you could imagine bad he did it. It effected my children and me and our extended families. I do not trust him anymore and my kids don't either. He went from being a husband and a dad to a monster. If these letters can help ONE child then it saves many lives. No one should have to go through what we have been through in silence. More power to Rev. Harper!
Equal Opportunity Hater

United States

#5 Aug 10, 2008
Herman King wrote:
All prisoners aren't thugs. And all thugs aren't prisoners. Some are behind bars because they said or did something politically incorrect. You could go to jail for calling President Bush a moron, even though in his case that's a compliment.
I don't see anyone dragging you away for saying it...as for your lecture on thugs...you deserve what's happened to this area along with HG Robinson. Hug a thug...live in a warzone...enjoy!!!
wow

Newport News, VA

#7 Aug 10, 2008
Richard Harris wrote:
"troubled" kids - what great code speak for "Thugs" who would sooner rape/rob you than read (if they could) a letter from anyone. While the pastor has a good idea, these little "troubled" kids couldn't care less. He would be better off having these kids meet the prisoners for one on one sessions.
I guess you've never been involved with trying to help anyone better their life. I work with "troubled" kids who are trying to changed their lives everyday; they just don't have the support from home to do it. Wouldn't it be nice if you took your head out of the sand long enough to think about someone other than yourself. I guess your mom really knew what she was doing when she named you Richard; the nickname is perfect for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buckingham County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buckingham girls high school tennis Apr '14 don 1
New Ragged Mountain Dam Halfway Done (May '13) May '13 huck 18
First Responders Train with Mock Search and Rescue (May '13) May '13 Liberalace 3
Louisa Woman Regional Winner of Farm Mom of the... (May '13) May '13 Wilbur 3
Youth Unemployment Rate High Despite National N... (May '13) May '13 Old Hare 1
Christopher Dumler UVA Law Grand and Sex Offend... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Virginia Pollack 1
Buckingham County Elementary School Closing Doo... (Mar '12) Sep '12 Buckingham Goobers 44
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Buckingham County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••